overall
Brewed by Backus y Johnston (SABMiller)
Style: Pale Lager
Lima, Peru

RATINGS: 589   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.08/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Bottle: Filtered.
Cusqueña is a super-premium lager from Cuzco, the seat of the Inca empire. Brewed since 1911, it uses only the finest natural ingredients, including pure mountain water from a source at 18,000 feet in the Peruvian Andes.

jsquire (4563) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - JAN 29, 2009
Clear golden color with a fizzy white head. Nose had some raw grain and dried dog food notes. Sweet malts, with some corn sweetmess and cardboard. Not very good.

italianjohn (3223) - Penndel, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 25, 2009
Not as good as Cristal like the bottle says 100% malt lager ... tastes of corn grass and yes malt don’t let this one get warm on you! my bottle looks different like a michelob .... says the gold of the incas more like the booze of the overpriced .... a one and done for me at least it wasn’t watered down

downender (8774) - Bristol, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - JAN 17, 2009
330ml bottle from Sainsburys. It’s been summed up 100% accurately below. Easy, unrewarding drinking straight from the fridge but, as the bottle warmed up, the maize sweetness and tired hops started to annoy. Not a beer I would rush to drink again.

imdownthepub (15130) - Banbury, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - JAN 10, 2009
Bottled, 330ml pasteurised from Sainsburys, Banbury. Gold with fizzed white head. Tried this the day after my first beer from Chile and decided to award a draw. Corny, sweet, caramel lager, thin with touches of cardboard. Has the one redeeming factor of colouring another chunk of South America blue on my statistics map.

Ubermunch (32) - Maryland, USA - JAN 6, 2009
I have now tasted Peru, and it’s not much different from the mediocrity of deal ol’ St. Louis. Not much to this except the malty lager taste. Pours and tastes better then expected (a bit bitter on the finish for me) but still not deep enough to bring about a return visit... especially with the 11.2oz bottle 6 pack at 8.99 in my area.

Bockyhorsey (2627) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - JAN 6, 2009
Bottle courtesy of mother in law. Aroma was of pastoized malt and somewhat odd. Gold body with white creamy head lot of carbination bubbles and good rings of lace left on pint glass. Flavor was rather bland grainy malt with some zesty lemon on the finish. This the second bottle of two she sent me. Thought the first one had more lemon zest to it and more refreshing.

Pinball (12227) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JAN 4, 2009
bottle 33cl bot in carrefour, las palmas, gran canaria. clear yellow, small white head. aroma of honey, corn, sort of reminds me of a mild belgian blonde without the spices. flavor is caramel, toffee, skunky. overall too much toffee caramel for me.

cbeers21 (693) - Miami, Florida, USA - JAN 2, 2009
Clear golden with finger of head. Actually I was surprized at the spicy malt presence on both smell and taste. There was a lingering honey malt quality which yeilded an intriguing clovey-ness. To be sure my expectations were low, but this brew had flavor and character than I had not antcipated. That said, its really not going to be worth returning to but it is quite good for what it is.

Rustyham (1836) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - DEC 31, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 2, 2009 I don’t care what anyone says, I like this beer, simply because I am not a Hop Head- I am a Malt Head, if they have those. This Lager is maltier than any other I have had, in fact, it’s almost Malta (which Cusqueña also makes). While Hops make a beer more exciting, the malt in here makes it more pleasant.

daknole (11050) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - DEC 25, 2008
Gold pour, small white head. Aroma is pure corn and malt. No real body, sweet corn flavor and light malts. Not overly carbonated which makes it relatively smooth, but not worth drinking again.