overall
Brewed by Dansk Mjød
Style: Mead
Billund, Denmark

RATINGS: 274   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48/5   EST. CALORIES: 570   ABV: 19%
Nordic honey wine with hibiscus and hops added. Based on a recipe from about year 1700.

HulkingMarine (1) - Georgia, USA - FEB 23, 2015 does not count
This is delicious; unlike anything I have tasted. Kicks you in the face with floral sweetness and a full bodied texture, and has an after taste of honey. Drank the bottle in about 15 minutes and did have a nice buzz.

GreyhoundMom (1) - - AUG 31, 2014 does not count
Picked it up for an evening with friends who are wine and beer drinkers - one who is closing in on a Ph.D. in history. The packaging (including the notation it came from a recipe dating back to around 1700) made it a fun an appealing treat to be passed around for tasting and discussion. I loved it - as did they.

jxtx (1) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - DEC 28, 2015 does not count
Though there is debate on proper drinking of mead, I find that it is best served heated to steaming and poured into a horn to be enjoyed momentarily. Chilled is good, but the aroma does not come to life until it is heated. Appearance is ideal, being called viking blod, it has a dark red hue. Taste is full of honey and hibiscus, and at warm temperature, the hop taste is missing, which is ideal for me.

dwyerpg (6378) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JAN 9, 2010
Absolutely wonderful mead. Sweet and strong, it’s dominated by the honey. The only knock really is that perhaps it seems just a tad bit too alcoholic, but mostly this is great stuff. A bit expensive as well.

blackmurder (236) - Whitaker, Oregon, USA - MAY 1, 2012
Damn good mead. Had this last night at my buddies wedding. Served in a horn so I can’t comment on the appearance. I was pretty wasted when I drank it but from what I recall it’s one of the better meads I have had. Smells super sweet with hints of vanilla and pears. Taste is phenomenal. Alcohol is very well hidden and it’s not too sweet.

asceticbrewer (69) - Arizona, USA - FEB 25, 2015
Bottle, poured into Duvel glass. Absolutely no head. Aroma is thick honey, floral hops, and alcohol. Taste is sweet, but not cloying, with slight notes of hibiscus and hops, and a heavy alcohol burn. As for mouth feel, it is a little thick for y liking, but overall still a very excellent mead.

freekyp (2391) - Thomasville, North Carolina, USA - MAY 2, 2017
The Blod of the Nordlaander est like that of a dragonne. Thick wit honey und heather fom oer’ mountainsyde fields, und wit a fierey tung of flame, like ’twas borne within the forges of Surtr. Beware mortals. Sip upon this Blod wit moderashun, as it culd fell the Jottnar people, or melt de haart of Freya. Drink at lease 1 hour b’fore battle to enter the bezerkker state, like the Úlfhéðnar wolf warriors of Öland. Let a man hold the cup, yet of the mead drink moderately, speak sensibly or be silent. As of a fault no man will admonish thee, if thou goest betimes to sleep.

JamesD (244) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - SEP 29, 2008
This mead is truly out of this world. It pours a reddish gold. The aroma is of herbs, raisins, flowers, and some mild spice. The flavor is amazing. Smooth, sweet, but not too sweet. It has enough dryness to remind me of amontillado sherry. Notes of raisins, orange peel, and some cinnamin or mint on a dry honey canvas. I’m new to mead, but I think started in the right spot.

VikingMetalGod (39) - Bedford, New Hampshire, USA - APR 5, 2009
MMM, unique aroma. Herbal, flowery honey smell. Very Sweet. Pours dark gold/amber, still, with no head. I think I just want to smell it and keep it at that out of fear that the taste won’t live up! WHOA to the alcohol flavor! At 19%, i’m not surprised! Taste is very sweet and alcoholic but not as sweet as I"m used to with the mead around here, which is nice. After the initial sweetness, it becomes dry and finishes spicy with herbal overtones throughout. SO many flavors! Mouthfeel is lightly syrupy with a pleasant burn in the end.With all the alcohol (and $30 a bottle) its a sipper, not a swigger. I recommend this to all that love mead and are able to obtain this rarity (at least for my neck of the woods). A fitting drink for my fellow viking warriors!