overall
RATINGS: 1203   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 41   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
It’s big and full bodied with lots of roasted malts and balanced with heavy hops to put this imperial in a league of its own.
Previously known as Dark Horse Imperial Stout.

nefarious (220) - Waterford, Michigan, USA - JUN 16, 2008
I’m doing my review on my second try of this. Because it was soooo good the first time I though something mush’ve been wrong. But thankfullly no....Its just as good as I remember it. Black pour with a small tan head and a very good smokey and roasted malts and chocolate. But the flavor is sooooooo outstanding. Chocolate roasted malts and absolutely not trace of alcohol. good mouthfeel and a wonderful finish. I know most wont agree but this is by far the best stout I have ever had. Unbeliveable. I will cellar a few of these.

PoppaK (6) - - MAR 6, 2012 does not count
If you like the imperial stouts, this has to be on your list. Very nice indeed. Comes out strong and bold and mellows with every sip. I have to admit, I’ve tried it more than once.

tyler_durden (116) - ITALY - MAR 24, 2013
On tap @ Harvest. Great beer!! I can’t imagine a more complex beer. Great great beer!!

Sissio (1649) - Orsenigo, ITALY - JAN 18, 2017
bottle @ home 11.0% clear black, almost no chocolate brown head with lacing gianduia, milk chocolate, nuts, licorice, chocolate praline ashy, cocoa, chocolate, hoppy and dark chocolate bitternes a great difference betwen aroma and taste, very impressive

stoutlvr (52) - Lansing, Michigan, USA - MAY 3, 2006
I love this beer! Seems like it should pour slower, as thick as it looks. A truly enjoyable drinking experience by Darkhorse.

bucs572000 (237) - Minnesota, USA - MAR 10, 2013
Aroma is a nice dark chocolate oatmeal scent. Pours a midnight black syrupy color. Very strong chocolatey flavor up front, pretty smooth for 12 percent abv. Love this stuff, one of my favorite imperial stouts.

iStout (14) - - MAY 21, 2014
We’ll balanced Imperial Stout. The coffee, chocolate and hops are all balanced the way I like them. Similar to my favorites Stone Russian Imperial Stout, and Thirsty Dog’s Siberian Night. It’s on tap today 5/21/2014 at Ray’s Place in Kent, Ohio. $9.00 per 12oz. Snifter glass.

arn8897 (392) - Trenton, Ohio, USA - FEB 11, 2015
UPDATED: JAN 2, 2016 On tap at Middletown fine Wine and Spirits Wednesday night pint night. Pours jet black with a dark khaki head. Aromas of chocolate, coffee, licorice and molasses. Taste of the same with some malty sweetness and some smokyness at the finish. Thick creamy mouth feel. Overall one of the better stouts I’ve had.

Shag (3001) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - MAR 26, 2017
This poured pitch black with a tan head perfect! The aroma contains some black coffee, licorice, and charcoal. The flavor is bitter but not too much so. It contains some espresso shots, licorice, dark chocolate. This is on the bitter end of the impy stout spectrum but its really amazing. Overall swipe right on this gem!

StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 6, 2005
Super thick pour, oozing out as an opaque black mass, and I’m certain this will stain my snifter. No head or movement elsewhere. Blessed be. Rich dark chocolate manifests early in the aroma, joining a cast of brown sugared oats, mocha enriched espresso and cinnamon. Wonderful, in a word. Flavor leads in with dark chocolate in full array. Flame licked pecans smothered in a special mocha espresso blend. Traces of alcohol are discernable, but I’m already thinking about black currant and hammered French roast coffee beans. Oily, dense mass sludges across the palate. Thick and chewy, and succinct in every way. Finishes like an iced, sugarless coffee. Absolutely beautiful. Big thanks go out to Styles for the bottle!