Dark Horse Whiskey Richard in Mouth with Kumquat

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 3.64/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Belgian-style pale fermented and aged 2 years in bourbon barrels with kumquat fruit.

Most RecentTicked By

esjaygee (3904) - Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 19, 2009
On tap at the brewpub served in a snifter. The name leaves a little to be desired, especially after I thought about it for a few seconds… Cloudy apricot with next to no head. Aroma of kumquat, mild fruit peel and a touch of whiskey. Taste of kumquat, fruit peel, tannins, paint thinner and light malt. Moderately sour and tart with a very dry finish of kumquat and tannins. It was interesting but nothing I’d want again.

patrick767 (4063) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - MAR 8, 2009
draft at the brewpub - Well, this beer is certainly different, but I’ll say right off that unlike previous reviewers, it didn’t work for me. It pours a cloudy dark copper color with no head. The aroma is pretty much all kumquat. It really dominates and then same can be said for the flavor. It’s sweet kumquat with maybe a little bready character and a finish that’s tart and a little bitter. It’s medium bodied with very low carbonation. The abv is high enough to be warming, but it’s not apparent in the flavor. A brewer at Dark Horse last night said it was approximately 11% abv, so there seems to be some confusion on that. Overall there’s just not enough going on here besides the kumquat. I didn’t even notice the bourbon that others mentioned. I’ve never had a kumquat. Maybe I just don’t like them.

Rciesla (5499) - Exit 15W, New Jersey, USA - MAR 4, 2009
EBF. What a name for a beer. Pours a copper body with a thin lacing. Has that nice tart woody whiskey flavor but a dry tart fruit flavor of kumquat. Some light citric acidity and a spicy like tingling of the tongue. One of the strangest beers ever.

ogglethorp (917) - Ohio, USA - MAR 2, 2009
MIBG WF 09. Pours a hazy copper/orange color with a small off white head. Aroma is orange, whisky, oak. Flavor is, well, kumquatty, orange, bourbon, oak, dough. Palate is medium bodied, medium carbonation, finished tart and acidic Quite an experiece, the kumquat come through nicely adding to the tartness. I like it.

Dickinsonbeer (5074) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - MAR 1, 2009
Tap EBF. Wow- one of the other few standouts at EBF. I saw this on the list and thought that I would really not like to try that. After Bstill shared some with me, I had about 3 more glasses. This is one of the more unique and tasty beers I have ever had. Pours a very bright yet slightly hazy orange juice color with a nice wispy white head. Aroma is of straight up fresh squeezed almost tart Valencia orange juice- with a hint of oak, bourbon is subdued, and almost a whiskey sour bar mix. Flavor is nice and prickly tart and strongly sweet kumquats which reminded me again of Valencia orange juice- so much sugar it becomes sharp, but there is a nice tart almost sourness going on, and along with the bourbon it cuts through the sharp sugars- slight hints of lime, citrus, orange zest, light on the bourbon, doughy and full malt backbone, light spice, and some earth in the middle. Full yet drying finish with a good prickly acidity. Crazy, but in a good way!