overall
Brewed by De Dolle Brouwers
Style: Abbey Tripel
Diksmuide, Belgium

RATINGS: 1484   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
De Dulle Teve is brewed in the tradition of a Belgian Triple. Its high density stems from large amounts of pale malt increased with pale candi sugar in the brew kettle. Unfiltered, unpasteurized, bottle-conditioned.

De Dulle Teve keeps two to three years without major changes in taste. Further maturing, up to 10 years, will cause it to darken a little and lose some of its bitterness. The bittering of about 30 IBU is due to Goldings hops in the brew kettle.

tjthresh (1871) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - JUN 26, 2006
Poured into my Orval glass. Loads of color. Everything from golden to amber and back. Beautiful white head, with some lacing. Hay, lemon/lime, candy sugar, and cookie dough come through in the aroma. A medium candy sweetness to start with a tangy acidic kicker. I can feel a touch of the alcohol in my nose. Fizzy carbonation. Long, alcoholic finish. My tongue is still stinging long after each drink. I don’t really care for that. A fine enough beer. I’d recommed it as I would all of De Dolle’s beers.

Kevin (2199) - Montana, USA - JUN 26, 2006
Pours a copper orange with a nice fat head. Smells of sharp cheddar and parmesan cheese. It is truly a pleasure to sit and breath in this aroma, spices just tickle my nose and make me smile. Last night I was in a rundown old hotel with a bunch of crack heads all around, and having to use a toilet that reminded me a lot of the one in trainspotting, luckily I didn’t need to sit down, and tonight I am in my apartment listening to the clash and drinking this beer after a productive night at work, things are looking up. Dry and earthy flavors are nice. Rich yeasty finish. Dry cracker flavor is present with a light lemony citrus. The alcohol doesn’t hide, but it works well with the other flavors. This is blissful. A bit of light toffee is coming out late in this, it is really getting good now. And it goes well with a can of beanie weenies and corn chips too. Ap-4 ar-10 tas-8 pal-5 ov-18

awaisanen (1304) - Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 20, 2006
From 11.2oz Bottle. Slightly hazy golden pour with a tall, soapy white head. Clouds of yeast empty from the bottle into my glass, transforming the frosted brass haze to a hue of tea tinged honey. Semi sweet aromas of toasted marshmellows melted in a hot banana and seasoned with a pinch of cinnimon spice. A touch of herbal lavender and marigold stems add some gentle hop tones to the otherwise yeast dominated aroma. Light, lively carbonated mouthfeel with loads of yeast and a bit of cinnmon toast. Enticing flavors of teriyaki grilled chicken with some mild clove spice. Final smack is a bit musty, and allows some smokey almond notes and green pepper spice to develop. Delicious example of a tripel.

elnadeau (786) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - JUN 19, 2006
A very pleasant surprise, based on the label I did not have high expectations but wow, this is quite a brew. Hazy gold with a giant foamy head, aroma of yeasty fruity esters and light spice. Very complex fruity array, alcohol and phenols. Balannce and mouthfell are exceptional, one of the best tripels I have experienced, but jeez what an ugly label.

dornoy (701) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUN 17, 2006
High head on a dark gold body. Very strong taste, fruity and spicy, a nice but very strong beer. There are dark fruits there, yet sweet enough. Warm and soothing, it is a very nice beer after a large meal.

Mungo (2470) - Southampton, Hampshire, ENGLAND - JUN 16, 2006
Bottle (from Bitter Virtue). Slightly cloudy golden with massive creamy head and yeasty foam attempting and largely succeeding to escape the bottle. Gentle fruity yeast, smooth malts, spicy almost citrus aromas with lots of alcohol. Upon closer examination there is a nice gingernut aroma. Quite highly carbonated in a pleasant way which helps to cut through the full malt sweetness. A light bitterness in the finish with just a hint of not unpleasant yeast bite. I enjoyed this (and the pleasant mellow feeling it left behind after it was finished) but I think it could have done with slightly less alcohol and a dryer body.

ElGaucho (2401) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - JUN 15, 2006
Bottle. It’s been a while since I had to stop pouring a brew because the head was so large it threatened to overflow. The head is so huge and so slow in disipating that I’m not sure when I’m going to actually be able to drink it. Very similar in aroma to the De Dolle Dulle Teve Special Reserva. From the description on the latter, I am deducing that the reason the Teve 10 is a little lighter in color is perhaps due to the fact it was not aged in the Calvados casks. But hold that, now that I am able to pour the rest of the bottle in, the sediment/yeast at the bottom of the bottle makes the body darker and very similar to the orange of the Special Reserva. Head is beautiful, cumulus cloud-like, enduringly lasting. This brew is supposed to be more lively in its carbonation, but I’m not getting that. I really should have done a side-by-side, because my frame of comparison is spread over 24 hours. It’s hard for me thus to tell much difference between the two brews. Sweet, Belgian candi-sugar. I’m not as enamored with this brew as the Special Reserva, but it’s still darn good and very similar.

kepano (278) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JUN 15, 2006
I am no expert in advertising, but naming your beer "Mad Bitch" doesn’t sound like a recipe for success. The recipe for this beer, however, need not change as it is an excellent example of the style and simply an excellent brew. The color reminds of Charentais melon, subtly clouded and topped of a superb creamy white head that recedes with equally dense lacing. Classic esters and grain form the cynosure of the nose, a wonderful combination of bubble gum, dried banana, raisins, mandarin, apple juice, cherries and peach yoghurt balanced by the rich sweetness of caramel, biscuits and honey. This enticing complexity is not as ebullient in the flavor as it relies more on a soft malt profile than the panache of fruits found in the aroma. Butterscotch and unctuous grains hide the relatively high alcohol content that is only reminded by the slightly burnt finish. I would love to try some older samples of this wonderful tripel.

henrikb (1263) - Aarhus, DENMARK - JUN 14, 2006
Golden orange body, huge creamy white head, thick lacing; Good, not huge special nose: citrus, some dries nuts and eucalyptus; Huge a bit sharp carbonation, balanced fresh body; Into very long finish, incredibly present alcohol, very harsh orange peel, fresh nuts and again eucalyptus.

Marsiblursi (3076) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - JUN 14, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 7, 2007 (Bottle at delirium cafe, Göteborg) Very hazy orange with a big white head. Pretty fast decreasing with big bubbles. The aroma is interesting. Belgian yeast and sweetness. Violet. Bubblegum-ish. Smells like a young beer. Marzipan. Strong flavour that leaves a peppery feeling in the mouth. The alcohol shines through. Tastes young and straggly. Champagne carbination. Little soapy. Good afterbitterness. Marzipan and some fruits. Yeast. Cool bottle.