overall
Brewed by De Dolle Brouwers
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Diksmuide, Belgium

RATINGS: 1702   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.93/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Stille Nacht (Silent Night) is a prestige beer from De Dolle Brouwers brewed for Christmas. It has the highest density of any Belgian beer (27°Pl), has been boiling for 5 hours, brewed with pale malt with white candi sugar in the kettle. The Nugget hops and dry hopping gives an extra bitterness to balance the extreme sweetness due to the density. The taste triangle is completed with some acidity of the fermentation. It is a very interesting beer to age. We have samples of every bottling we have done so far and aging does not mean decreasing quality with this beer. Keep some samples at 10°C and mark the year on the cap with an alcohol marker. Cheers!!

Kodos (205) - USA - JAN 19, 2003
Almost looks like apple juice on the pour. Heavy apple and raisin in the nose. First taste is heavily malty, then candy aple, caramel. Finishes with a dark fruit and honey sweetness turning sour near the end. Warming alcohol presence completes this great brew. I REALLY dig the sweetness mixed with slight sour in this beer. One of my new favorites!!!!

pxl (4) - BELGIUM - FEB 16, 2005 does not count
the best belgian christmas beer in my opinion! very sweet, but not to sweet. with the years, the taste keeps getting better!

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - AUG 5, 2006
Pours a beautiful bright, lighter shade of gold w/ medium sized creamy froth. Aroma is of sweet lemony herbs. Full nectar / soft residual effers. Flavors of sweet lemon drops, caramel, slight leather w/ a kick ass asprin burn on the finish to balance out. Very complex. It’s a sweeter brew but the big hopy asprin finish acts as a palate cleanser. I just wanted to keep drinking it. Not a trace of flavor from the 12% alcohol. Amazing. Highly recommended. If you like Dogfish head 120, you’ll love this one at half the price.

Dolty (15) - SWEDEN - AUG 17, 2006
Utterly fantastic. A personal favourite, and I have my eye firmly fixed on this small brewery.

oberabcbbsok (693) - Hoboken, BELGIUM - APR 27, 2007
A wonderfull brew with taste evolution.
I had a vertical beer tasting of 8 different years on the same day. I had 8 different tasts. Since that day this is one of my favorites

yngwie (17262) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - OCT 5, 2008
UPDATED: DEC 24, 2013 Bottle, 2007 vintage, thx to fonefan. It pours a fizzy, unclear, golden body with a big off-white head. The aroma has some lovely sour notes, yet it’s sweetish and very fruity, with some hints of spices. Sweet, sugary and slightly yeasty flavor with notes of spices and a lovely fruityness. Some bitterness too, and it has a pleasant warmth from the alcohol. Really effervescent in the mouth, full-bodied and slighlty sticky. Really lovely, the kind of beer I could drink everyday without getting tired of it. Rating: 8-4-8-4-17-4.1. (080823)

Bottle, 2006 vintage. It’s more or less the same aromas and flavors as described in my 2008 rating, but smoother. Flavors and aromas more integrated than in a fresher bottle, and the sourness seems to be at the same level. Dried fruits and fortified wine also springs to mind. Appearance-wise I have to mention the lacings, they are gorgeous looking and doesn’t sink at all. I’ve deducted points for the alcohol being a bit more evident in aroma, and on the palate, than I would prefer. And of course to have the possibility to rate an even better beer higher. A true classic, certainly a beer to seek out if you haven¨t been there yet. Cheers! Rating: 8-5-9-4-18-4.4. 091224

Sometimes you’re in the mood for a beer, sometimes you’re in the mood for THE beer. The beer is Stille Nacht from De Dolle Brouwers. I have been dreaming of a more tasteful and wonderful beer, but every time it turns out I’ve been dreaming. Normally I wait until Christmas time until I pop the cork of a Stille Nacht, but sometimes, in the cold Norwegian autumns or springs, a SN saves the day. Or night. It’s a beer so tasteful and pleasant smelling that I don’t need another one. The light, considering its 12% ABV, alcohol impact is just adding joy to the experience. The mouthfeel is wonderful, warming, silky and full-bodied. The flavor so complex and fantastic I’m lost for words. Anyway, the beer is just f...ing wonderful, especially after a few years in the cellar. Let me finish my beer, and a lot of the same kind, and I’ll die a happy drinker. Damn, I’m in love! I’m so in love I’ll have another round or three right away just to express my love. 121230.

hirigalzkar (3279) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - DEC 18, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2017 Bottle. 121111. Nice light matliness and with a bubbelgum freshness. Very saison like in that aspect, But it’s spicier and heavier. This one makes you think that it’s summer outside, without killing the holiday spirit! [OLD RATING: 4,2] Orange colour. Big head. Thick foam. Smells sweet of belgian yeast. Sweet, sour and spicy at the same time. Lots of fruit. Has kind of a bitter and dry finish.

grunx (367) - - APR 2, 2011
Anyada 1987. Genial mostra del que pot donar de sí una gran cervesa preparada per envellir. Notes de mel, cremositat, sense carbònic. Per prendre amb postres o com a copa digestiva. Embriagadora, sublim.

Arth0 (2) - BELGIUM - MAY 19, 2011 does not count
2009 : Deep amber beer. Extremely tasty, AROMA : Caramel, pine, lightly toasted. Heavy, bitter and hoppy. Full body, creamy.

2010: Same with a little more spicy. Extra long finish...

THE beer to taste!

AlberRueda (58) - - OCT 16, 2012
Color: Ambar oscuro, mate

Espuma: Cremosa, densa, grandes burbujas y duradera

Aroma: principio achampanado, frutas y malta tostada

Gusto: licor, dulce, malta alcohólica, tarta

Retrogusto: dulce