overall
RATINGS: 15   MEAN: 3.61/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Brewed with imported English malted barley, fuggles hops, grown in the U.K., and an infusion of American Pumpkin - this Ale is packed with the Spirit of Autumn. Look for a creamy malt body and a robust spicey finish. Amber - 5.2%

j12601 (13123) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - MAY 28, 2017
On tap at the brewery. Pours a clear amber orange with a thin white head. Nice spice on the nose, cinnamon and clove, soft caramel. Medium bodied, soft spices again, cinnamon comes through beautifully, nice notes of spices here. Smooth and easy. Tasty enough.

Mirafrida (1) - New York, USA - JAN 22, 2017 does not count
Best beer I’ve ever tried, so far. I’m not a beer expert, I’m a beer drinker.

TheHopster (1111) - Netcong, New Jersey, USA - NOV 6, 2015
(bottle). Deep brown orange complexion. Mediocre pumpkin favor. Not at stand out. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

MrTipple (6471) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - OCT 12, 2014
Aroma: sharp spices, very malty. Appearance: hazy amber, small, beige head. Taste: light bitter. Palate: spices coming up again, malts in the background. Overall: OK pumpkin ale, lacks subtlety in aroma. Pint at Big Brew, Morristown.

itcooltogofast (7) - - SEP 27, 2013 does not count
I just had this on tap. Can’t get it in bottles. Great brewery. I didn’t even know it had any Pumpkin in it. A little spice nice foamy head a bit strong but a excellent ale.

Tonkun (1306) - New Jersey, USA - DEC 23, 2012
Tap. Amber body with minimal head. Pumpkin, pumpkin pie, brown sugar, spice and cinnamon. Aroma more impressive than body, which is better than most. Overall a very nice pumpkin ale.

spacedyevest (9) - USA - SEP 25, 2012 does not count
This is much more a fall Oktoberfest beer than a pumpkin beer. Aroma is has an herbal nose but finishes sweet.

HoppityHop (206) - New Jersey, USA - SEP 15, 2012
Pours a beautiful amber/orange color with a slightly spicy aroma. Unlike most Pumpkin ales that taste like pie spice and nothing else, the Headless Horseman actually has a slightly Squashy/Pumpkin that blends nicely with the malt. No discernible hop presence, however, there is a slight fruit bitterness that keeps the overall flavor from being too bready. A trait many other Pumpkin ales have. I’m a big fan of Pumpkin ale, and this one ranks towards the top of the list. Probably the best beer I’ve had from Defiant.

HighlanderOne (1374) - York, SC via NJ, South Carolina, USA - OCT 3, 2010
On tap at defiant brewery. Pumpkin pie aroma. Dark mahogany. No head. It’s got malt, pumpkin, spice, banana - has a great feel and drinkability. Excellent.

chocolatetown (2) - USA - OCT 2, 2010 does not count
On tap at the brewery. Served in a plastic Defiant cup so it was hard to see the lacing and true color but it was on the dark side with obvious stickiness. Definite aroma of pureed pumpkin and cinnamon with other spices that I’m not the type to pin-point (for better or worse). Tastes like it smells........delicious. The flavor is as pumpkinny as I’ve had from a pumpkin beer and I love it. I’d never picture myself a pumpkin beer lover but I love this one and will be sad when it’s gone for the year. Moderate to heavy mouth feel really complements the apparent flavor. I don’t want to drink this all night but a glass of it hits the spot. Impressive enough to make me write my first review.