overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Melle, Belgium

RATINGS: 3355   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle Conditioned.
Launched on December 26th 1989 @ 9% abv. Abv reduced from 9% to 8.5% in 2003.
The particular character and the unique taste of "Delirium Tremens" result from the use of three different kinds of yeast. Its very original packing, which resembles cologne ceramics, and the colourful label contribute to its success.
In 1997, Stuart A. Kallen nominated Delirium Tremens as "best beer in the world". A gold medal during the "world beer championships" in Chicago (1998) confirmed that worldwide recognition.

spector (906) - Lancaster, Ohio, USA - NOV 25, 2006
Get some spices and belgian yeast in the aroma.Pours a hazy light orange/yellow with a medium white head.Tastes of citrus and yeast.Palate is airy with a lemon finish.

PorterCall (44) - (Formerly UK), DENMARK - NOV 24, 2006
70cl bottle, bought in Lille. Foamy white head, citrusy and yeasty aroma. Very strong yeast taste, too much for me in fact. A good deal of hops and much carbonation. Not the best admirer of wheat beers but I reckon for those that are this is a must.

raymondwave (931) - FINLAND - NOV 23, 2006
Had one in Paris, France. I had read about this beer, but didn’t know what I’d be having. Very yeasty taste, somehow puky, don’t know why. Alcohol comes thru quite a lot. Maybe it’s the name, but this beer really made me feel a bit sick.

DrinkMoreBeer (21) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 22, 2006
Bottle. Maybe it’s just me. Not a real Belgian Ale fan yet. Sweet and Fizzy. I’ll pass next time and order something else.

00cobraR (1103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - NOV 22, 2006
Pours out a golden yellow? Why not brown? Hmmmmm. Nice froathy white head. Aroma is very yeasty and slightly hoppy. Flavor is alot more hoppy than I would have expected. Beer champion of the world in 1998? There must have been some shitty beer in 1998. Hell PBR was selected America’s best in 1893 and its not that great either.

Lilith (242) - Santiago, CHILE - NOV 19, 2006
Pours a hazy yellow color body with small small particles and fast bubbles that go up to reach a beatiful, huge creamy head, beige that doesn’t move. Aroma is very nice, fruity, sweet, of ripe peach, honey, caramel, papaya and species like coriander. Flavor is not as good as the aroma but it is certainly great: sweet and intense, a bit herbal and alcoholic by the end. Great body, nice carbonation. Very good, but I had higher expectations :(

Bottle shared with <a href = http://www.ratebeer.com/View-User-30044.htm> Panzerfaust >

Skinnyviking (9570) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - NOV 18, 2006
Bottle. High white though quickly disappearing head. Hazy light yellow body. Fruity aroma with a touch of liquorice. Acidic coriander flavor with a nice hops bitterness and quite a good deal of carbonation. A hint of the alcohol in the aftertaste.

decaturstevo (6244) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - NOV 17, 2006
A slightlly oranged gold pour. An aroma of coriander, apple, and slight yeast. A flavor of fruit and alcohol. I was surprised at the lack of yeast flavor. A lot of carbonation that was expected. The very warmness of the alc. was a surprise, not a lot of malt to help carry it, but that is not a huge negative for me just a comment.

GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - NOV 17, 2006
This one shared some similar qualities as Duvel, but I think Duvel is quite a bit better. I wasn’t sure if I liked it or not, which I sometimes struggle with when tasting Belgian strong ales. I guess the style is hit or miss for me. The aroma on this beer didn’t have much presence, but there was some light fruit and green apple there. Appearance was copper in color, big fluffy head. Mouthfeel I really didn’t like very much due to the high alcohol bite and thin, watery feel. Flavor was good but quite a bit alcohol present which sort of pushed everything else behind it. My overall impressions of this beer is that it is well made but personally speaking I didn’t enjoy it very much. I thought the alcohol present was just a bit over the top for my tastes.

goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - NOV 11, 2006
Poured a hazy light golden yellow color with a large almost white head. Yeasty and spicy aroma over a mildly fruity malt base. Matching flavor with a spicy finish. Lively mouthfeel and a medium body.