Deschutes Black Butte XXV

Formerly brewed at Deschutes Brewery
Style: Imperial Porter
Bend, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 293   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.93/5   IBU: 64   EST. CALORIES: 339   ABV: 11.3%
Dates, figs and chocolate. Black currants, barrel-aged in bourbon casks. The result is an Imperial Porter with a tart berry and chocolate aroma with luscious layers of dried fruit, oak and vanilla. A fitting tribute to the 25th Anniversary of our flagship beer.

Bill Becker (1808) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - AUG 9, 2013
I bought a Howler of this at Liquor Shed for $11.99. That’s 2 true pints for $6 a piece. Nice. A- it pours black, no light shines through. Small head of foam, yeah, but swirling the beer in my glass brings a decent head of foam and also some lacing. It looks both potent and delicious. S- big Bourbon, vanilla, caramel malt, dark fruits....so good of a nose. T- all sorts of complex flavours going on here. Big but not overpowering Bourbon with tasty vanilla and chocolate, dark fruits of the fig kind, dark fruit of the black currant kind that adds just a wee bit of tartness. I was a little feared when I first tried the XXV in a bottle when I read the label and saw the mention of black currants...that and after reading about it on a post on BA. But man, I should never have doubted Deschutes’ brewing skills. This is killer good and ready to drink now! M- just a tad under full bodied, or is it? Great medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is super and so is the fact that I no longer see the word mouthfeel underlined in red. It’s a real word now. O- I admit, I’ve been a bit miserly about giving beers a perfect 5 when, perhaps, I should have. This is a perfect 5 for me though the bottles, I think, need more time as per Deschutes’ putting a best after date. Cheers!

Caskalefan (168) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - AUG 15, 2013
Simply the best Black Butte to date...incredible complexity (the black currents add just the right amount of tartness to the chocolate, caramel, and brown fruitiness of this beauty). The body is a bit more full than in past editions, and there’s a much softer, smoother lack of heat, right off the bat. Kudos, once again, Deschutes!

mililani (27) - - NOV 21, 2013
UPDATED: FEB 9, 2014 Wow. I was never a fan of the Black Butte Porter. I thought many regular stouts I buy, such as TJ Oatmeal Stout, have a much more complex taste for the same ABV. This, on the other hand, knocked my socks off. Soooo delicious. You can taste the complexity of flavors: the chocolate, the dates and figs, the bourbon from the aged barrels. Simply awesome.