RATINGS: 903   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 264   ABV: 8.8%
Hop Henge Experimental IPA is our annual exercise in IBU escalation. An outrageous amount of Centennial and Cascade hops are added to each barrel, with a heavy dry-hop presence as well. It is dense and muscular, with a blend of crystal, pale and carastan malts creating an overall biscuity characteristic. It’s all hop, no apologies.

10.6% abv

• Statistics
  • Locate Sellers

thehinge (309) - Nederland, Colorado, USA - MAR 12, 2018
UPDATED: MAR 12, 2018 Orange pour. Small white head with some lacing. Lemony front end with a bitter hop finish.

Hiero (176) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAR 3, 2018
2018 - 12 oz bottle - 8.3% IIPA. Like others have mentioned, this beer is surprisingly light and fresh for an IIPA. Feels like a light, refreshing lawnmower beer. Citrus flavor resembling an orange/grapefruit combination. Medium amber body. Kind of surprised at the beer in general compared to what I thought I was getting. I hadn't seen this before and know Deschutes typically puts out good beers. Will have again in the future if I see it!

Beaver (1907) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - FEB 26, 2018
12 oz bottle. Pours hazy golden orange with a thin white head that quickly goes to a light dusting that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is subdued - sweet candied fruity hops with a little sulfur.

The flavor is sweet grainy malts with fruit and earthy spicy hops. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, an OK DIPA.

balloonbuffoon (849) - - FEB 2, 2018
12floz bottle, BBD: 04.04.2018, 8.3 =% ABV, $1.75 unit cost, pint glass. It'san amber-gold color with off-white head, and has spicy citrus nose. A nice IPA with good hop/malt balance that invokes a medley of rose honey and herb flavors

vbmike73 (80) - Grove City, Ohio, USA - JAN 31, 2018
This is an automated comment from my BeerBuddy account because it now requires me to leave a 75 charater review in order to log my beers. CHEERS! �� ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

milewide (2371) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JAN 29, 2018
Impossibly confused listings! My bottle says 8.3% ABV and 90 IBUs. Aroma and flavor lean sweet. An IIPA in booze only.

hershiser2 (3972) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - JAN 22, 2018
$2.10 bottle, Wine Warehouse. Best by 4/4/18. 8.3%, 90 ibu. Pours slightly hazy golden-amber with a small off-white head. Aroma is citrus, somewhat stale-smelling hops. Flavor is orange and grapefruit peel, orange flesh, pine, caramel malt. Bitter, but am surprised by the 90 ibu - doesn't seem that bitter. Good overall.

jsmerig (1783) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 21, 2018
UPDATED: JAN 21, 2018 Pours a hazy orange amber. Great lacing from the whitish head. Aroma of tangerines. Taste is malt forward with a citrus bite followed by warm toffee notes

Bitterbill (2081) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 20, 2017
From Mar 2007 Pours from 22oz bottle(room temp) a clear amber gold with a large head of foam that shrinks to a fine layer with plenty of lacing. The smell is very hoppy. I note a lot of grapefruit and, oh, there's some sweet malt hitting my nose as well. The taste on first sip is hugely hoppy. I get the grapefruit I mentioned in the smell but I'm also getting some caramel sweetness from the malt and what's this that's hitting my palate...it tastes of cherry and..cinnamon? There's also an earthy/bready note in there. Very unusual and interesting tasting DIPA but, the flavours I mentioned along with the noticeable alcohol aren't making for a nice balance and so is limiting the drinkability factor for me. Bottom line: I'm glad I got to try this but I wouldn't go out of my way to drink it again. Edit: I just picked up a couple of bottles locally(US$4.50 apiece) and thought I'd update my review. I'm now liking the flavours I'm getting with this brew. Big hoppy grapefruit along with some nice caramel malt and some fruitiness that are all tasting just fine...good balance too. Maybe my other sample wasn't up to snuff or my tastebuds that day were "damaged" or what ever. This is a good, solid Impy IPA.

Itzjerm (3266) - Taft, Tennessee, USA - OCT 7, 2017
Light clean citrus flavors. Thin head with medium body. Nothing in this brew seems experimental or stands out as above average. For abv I have had much better.