overall

RATINGS: 897   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.84/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 95   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Hop Henge Experimental IPA is our annual exercise in IBU escalation. An outrageous amount of Centennial and Cascade hops are added to each barrel, with a heavy dry-hop presence as well. It is dense and muscular, with a blend of crystal, pale and carastan malts creating an overall biscuity characteristic. It’s all hop, no apologies.

Previously 10.6% abv

gregwilsonstl's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
gregwilsonstl (2711) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 6, 2012
Orange opaque...but not cloudy. Unique appearance. Lingering subtle bitterness. No one near as harshly bitter as I was expecting given the 95 IBUs. Balanced.

hershiser2 (3834) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - JAN 22, 2018
$2.10 bottle, Wine Warehouse. Best by 4/4/18. 8.3%, 90 ibu. Pours slightly hazy golden-amber with a small off-white head. Aroma is citrus, somewhat stale-smelling hops. Flavor is orange and grapefruit peel, orange flesh, pine, caramel malt. Bitter, but am surprised by the 90 ibu - doesn't seem that bitter. Good overall.

jsmerig (1724) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 21, 2018
UPDATED: JAN 21, 2018 Pours a hazy orange amber. Great lacing from the whitish head. Aroma of tangerines. Taste is malt forward with a citrus bite followed by warm toffee notes

Bill Becker (2010) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 20, 2017
From Mar 2007 Pours from 22oz bottle(room temp) a clear amber gold with a large head of foam that shrinks to a fine layer with plenty of lacing. The smell is very hoppy. I note a lot of grapefruit and, oh, there's some sweet malt hitting my nose as well. The taste on first sip is hugely hoppy. I get the grapefruit I mentioned in the smell but I'm also getting some caramel sweetness from the malt and what's this that's hitting my palate...it tastes of cherry and..cinnamon? There's also an earthy/bready note in there. Very unusual and interesting tasting DIPA but, the flavours I mentioned along with the noticeable alcohol aren't making for a nice balance and so is limiting the drinkability factor for me. Bottom line: I'm glad I got to try this but I wouldn't go out of my way to drink it again. Edit: I just picked up a couple of bottles locally(US$4.50 apiece) and thought I'd update my review. I'm now liking the flavours I'm getting with this brew. Big hoppy grapefruit along with some nice caramel malt and some fruitiness that are all tasting just fine...good balance too. Maybe my other sample wasn't up to snuff or my tastebuds that day were "damaged" or what ever. This is a good, solid Impy IPA.

Itzjerm (3175) - Taft, Tennessee, USA - OCT 7, 2017
Light clean citrus flavors. Thin head with medium body. Nothing in this brew seems experimental or stands out as above average. For abv I have had much better.

tricksta_p (5366) - Steenwijk, NETHERLANDS - JUN 13, 2017
From tap at Deschutes Brewery, Bend. 2017 version at 8% abv. Aroma is big resinous hops yielding lots of pine resin and sweetish tropical fruits including grapefruit and ripe orange. Bold bittersweet flavour. Body is above medium. Rich and very hoppy. Delicious IIPA candy...

Chrisd180 (46) - - JUN 7, 2017
First beer in the Deshutes brewery in Portland Oregon. Apparently I can't get this beer anywhere else so this is a special one that I can only get here. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

stevoj (5880) - Boise, Idaho, USA - APR 19, 2017
UPDATED: MAY 8, 2017 Draft at BitterCreek. Medium amber, streaky lacing. Hoppy aroma, taste brings some astringency. Iney, medicinal, botanical. Rerate at Taphouse. Nice looking pour on a full pint. Big hoppy aroma, thick mouth feel. Still hoppy and herbal.

Slubgob (345) - West Hartford, USA - OCT 16, 2016
Best by June ’12th, drank October ’16th. So, ahh, aged? Bomber into wine glass. Apricot color, just off white head. Maple in the nose? With the expected hops. In the mouth, moderate hoops, more maple and fruit. Finishes a bit sticky. Would be curious what a fresh bottle would be like, but it’s pretty enjoyable as it’s.

madmitch76 (26455) - , Essex, ENGLAND - AUG 29, 2016
28th August 2016
Very hazy gold beer, decent pale cream colour head. Palate is airy with reasonable fine carbonation. Fluffy malts, some creamy sweetness. Spicy hop, cooling pine and ripe citrus. A little tropical fruits. Smooth finish. A little ripe. Past it’s best by date by a few months. Not that that stopped Total Wines selling it in the state! Grrr! Overall it’s held up well.

malkyore (377) - - MAY 31, 2016
Yum. So fresh! You can’t really taste the alcohol and its not super bitter. It’s very balanced but with a nice fresh crisp hoppiness to it. I like it a lot.

---Rated via Beer Buddy for Android