overall
RATINGS: 661   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 38   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
Part of the Bond Street Series. This Fresh Hop Pale Ale is all about celebrating the hop harvest in the fall. Fresh picked hops have to be added to the brew immediately and in abundance. Roughly 270 pounds of Crystal hops from Doug Weathers’ farm outside Salem, Oregon will be added to the 50 barrel batch in addition to some dry kilned whole flower hops. That adds up to approximately 5.5 pounds of hops per barrel brewed.

AllAboutStout (605) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 24, 2008
Pours a dark amber in color with a nice quarter inch head. Smell is mostly malts with some piney hops to go with it. Taste is much the same with a nice hop kick in finish. This strikes me more as a subtly hopped red than anything else. Different, but I like it. Decent mouthfeel. I still think there are not enough hops to balance all the malt that was used. Good beer overall.

mullet (849) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - APR 9, 2008
Deschutes is an odd brewery. Some of their stuff is absolutely killer (Obsidian, Abyss, Jubelale) whilst others are pretty... uh, not so good (Black Butte, Mirror Pond). This one kinda lies in between, but erring on the good side. I guess I was primarily impressed because it was a (very) rare US beer with genuine yeast character which really filled out the aroma beautifully. Bright citrusy hops (reminiscent of old-school LCPA) and sweet caramel blend with apricoty esters. Oddly it tastes quite different to how it smells - certainly not your classic APA. Quite sweet and caramelly with lots of stone fruit, spicy puddingyness and rather faint floral hoppiness. Weirdly enough it reminded me of Red Hill’s seasonal beers (Hop Harvest obviously, but also Christmas, Temptation and Belgian Blonde). No citrusy hop flavour and decidedly lacking in bitterness, though not finishing too sweet. I thought it’d taste a lot hoppier. Still, pretty good, interesting stuff.

arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - APR 5, 2008
Reviewed on: 11-12-2006 Serving type: bottle When I opened this bottle I was surprised that I got such a beautiful smell of fresh hops. Nice lacing and a nice orange-amber color. The first taste reminds me of hops, grass and peaches. The mouthfeel is thick and pleasant. I preferred this over Great Divide Fresh Hop by far. The low ABV adds to the drinkability.My first thought was to go back to the store and buy the remaining bottles, so I did. This is one of the best Pale Ales I’ve had in a long time. At 3.49 for a 220z. it was a really good deal. If you get the chance, try this one!

DrBayern (1139) - Morehead City, North Carolina, USA - MAR 31, 2008
22 oz. bottle on 3/26 in Frisco, CO. Deep amber pour with a full, off white, durable head and good lace. Fresh hoppy aroma primarily of citrus, with some pine. A nice laight caramel also makes a presence. Medium body and carbonation, dry on the palate, yet nicely smooth. Solid malty base balances well with a thirst quenching bitterness. A very nice APA.

brianprentiss (701) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 30, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 31, 2008 I wanted to like this beer more because I love just about every Deschutes beer. This one was just a bit screwy. Re-rate: I must have gotten a bad bottle, I tried again and it was MUCH better.

HughConway (830) - Washington, USA - MAR 8, 2008
Bottle. Great hop aroma. Nice cloudy orange brown pour with white head. Nice body and palatte, but not over the top. Nicely done.

craftbeerdesign (2254) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAR 7, 2008
bomber. fresh hops are great - and this beer delivers on the fresh hop theory. Pours a deep golden / orange with a huge 3 finger white head. Nice subtle hop aroma. Huge presence on the palate... nice big hoppy body with a thick sticky finish. Some orange notes in there too. Overall a very crisp, fresh clean APA... not over the top, very well balanced and put together. Wish I could get Deschutes in GA.

uhclem (428) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - FEB 19, 2008
Pours a hazy honey color with a substantial head. Lacing is pedestrian. This is a tricky ale to rate - the hops are subdued but blend very nicely with the malt. The low alcohol content also serves to keep this in balance. Silky mouthfeel. Aftertaste is dusty - but in a good way.

junon (430) - Honolulu, Hawaii, USA - FEB 13, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2008 Hmm. Im editing this. Something strange is going on. Tasting this beer again a couple weeks later and its totally different. Thinks my palate is jacked.

papajohn (1250) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - FEB 11, 2008
22 oz bottle from Port Carlsbad Bottle shop: Murky reddish-orange amber color with a medium eggshell white head. Aroma is tropical fruit and citrus. Flavor starts fruity sweet with orange and apricot followed by a light citrus bitterness and a smooth, light dry finish. Medium bodied and tangy with lively carbonation.