overall
Brewed by Deschutes Brewery
Style: Stout
Bend, Oregon USA

RATINGS: 1366   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   IBU: 55   EST. CALORIES: 192   ABV: 6.4%
Deep, robust and richly rewarding, this is beer to linger over. Obsidian has distinct notes of espresso, chocolate, roasted malt and black barley, with just enough hop bite to cut the sweetness.

Dragon99 (57) - Laramie, Wyoming, USA - NOV 3, 2001
A great stout. Dark, heavy. Good malty flavor, light hops. Roasted flavor is distinguished.

BOSSbrewer (2705) - Arkansas, USA - AUG 10, 2013
Smooth. Had this on tap at iron barley in St. Louis. Very nice beer pours very dark, and though somewhat roasty is smooth.

cwill (79) - Coatesville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 4, 2016
Pours jet black with huge frothy rocky tan head that sticks all over. Aroma of chocolate, espresso coffee, and cocoa. Taste is very smooth and creamy with a malt sweetness up-front that is cut quickly by the bittering acidic burn of the roasted barley which lingers. Some sugar flavour make their way to the taste buds. The hop bitterness is at par with the roasted barley. Espresso, roast coffee flavours appear midway and fade a little with the other roasted flavors. This a great stout, one of the best Ive tasted.

pools (28) - - JUL 14, 2016
Best everyday stout in my opinion and probably the beer I would choose if I could only pick one beer forever

Fitztout (1) - Billerica, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 4, 2016 does not count
Its my favorite, and while there may very well be a better one out there somewhere, I havent found one I like more, so I gave it my top rating

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
krumbum (1096) - truckee, California, USA - MAR 18, 2014
I had this on nitro tap. Dark black brown blocks out light. Big creamy head. Nutty smoothness in the scent. Creamy head floats on a chocolate coffee nuttiness, perfect beer for nitro.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - OCT 4, 2003
Sampled on Nitro. Out-fricking-standing. I went to a bar tonight, which I rarely do, and I noticed some writing on the Obsidian Stout handle that the bottles didn't have. I looked closer and noticed that it had "NITRO" in big red letters across the handle. Deschutes is my favorite brewery anyway, so I had to give it a shot. I couldn't be more glad that I did. Please note that this review is primarily comparing this version to the bottled version, so if you want to read my full review, scroll down a bit. This is everything the bottle gives and more. Deep black pour with an incredibly fine and thick head. It didn't leave lace, it left a sheet behind on the glass. The scent was a bit more subdued than the bottled version but it was still excellent. Tasted heavenly, of course, since I don't think Deschutes could make a bad beer if they tried. The mouthfeel is where the difference *really* kicks in. Guiness only *wishes* it could be this creamy and still maintain this kind of flavor.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
pelicanfleck (15) - Oregon, USA - SEP 13, 2007
I picked his bottle up at a local store and decided it was time to try it. Here is my review: Aroma: The aroma was of strong coffee and dark chocolate. No real hop aroma to be found. Appearance: The brew poured into my glass a dark cola color. No ruby highlights could be seen on the sides. The head was a medium tan color and was about a finger width. Carbonation was very low to none. Flavor: This brew tasted like coffee and roasted coffee beans. The taste has a bit of a "bite" to it, though after about two drinks, that goes away. The burnt coffee taste also shoots to the foreground and really sets this brews taste apart from others. Mouthfeel: Not harsh nor bitter. No carbonation bite. Smooth and very very dark feeling. Overall Impression: This is a damn fine example of a Master Brewer strutting his craft and knowing how to brew a craft beer. I really dont understand how some could give it such a low review as they have done...but to each his own...this is a dman fine brew. Drink More Beer!!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Robyn04 (1) - USA - MAR 8, 2008 does not count
very very good! I tried it bottled and on nitro. 10 times better on nitro. highly recommend. Of course anything Deschutes makes is always worth trying

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jennajlover (135) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 13, 2015
Another great beer to style from deschutes. Robust coffee and some toffee and caramel to round out beer. Very mild hops. Silky smooth carbonation and toasty finish.