overall
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 18   MEAN: 3.24/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
This year’s version of Deschutes Brewery’s Oktoberfest utilizes German Pilsner and Munich malts, as well as German Perle and Hallertau hops. This year, we tried a very traditional method of acidification in our brew kettle. We used a sour wort strain we received from the Distelhauser Brewery in Tauberbischofsheim, Germany. Say that after a couple of pints…we grew this mixture or organisms in 4 gallons of our unhopped Mirror Pond wort and added it directly to our brew kettle for a refreshing, zippy finish on this beer. IBU’s 58

BrewDad (5328) - Olympia, Washington, USA - OCT 11, 2010
On tap at the Tacoma Craft Brewers Festival
Amber in color, clear with a thin head. Nice aroma with good roasty malt and light hops. The flavor was terrific. I liked the finish of this beer. As usual Deschutes does not disappoint.

philbertk (1873) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 3, 2010
Deschutes Brewery--Bend, OR--Oktoberfest . 5.00% ABV. 25 IBU’s? Thin lacy head. Clear pretty bright gold color. Crisp pilsner like hop front. Mellow sweet slightly tangy zesty Pale Marzen Fest body. Hint of lingering malt mild citrus tangy Fest end. (4.0 / 5.0) 5 oz. Taster @ Fremont Oktoberfest 9/24/2010.

carruthm (1401) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 22, 2010
Reserving judgment until I can try again because I had the second to last pint before the line blew, but this was very unlike a marzen. Too lightly colored and the taste was kind of flat.

IndianaRed (4937) - Boise, Idaho, USA - SEP 8, 2010
On tap at the brewpub in Bend while waiting for a table. Crystal clear golden copper color with a small thin quick off white head. Like the previous raters I pick up toasted malts with bready notes and honey. Light, crisp an some nice flavors. Good for the style, but not too terribly interesting.

5000 (6862) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - JAN 2, 2010
Draught @ Bend brewpub:   Pale amber, translucent, little head, very little in the way of carbonation.   Grainy nose, mealy, fairly hefty.   Comes across as a bigger German example.   A little too mealy on the tongue for my tastes.   Clean on the backside, good body and mouthfeel.   Solid example, bigger and heavier but very German like.   I suppose that the heavy mealiness somewhat kills me tho.   Bigger in body than most.   Clean, just heavy mealiness that I don’t really care for.

kp (10881) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - NOV 7, 2009

Date: September 20, 2009
Mode: Draft
Source: Brewpub, Portland
Appearance: clear gold, fine beige head, bits of drippy lace
Aroma: light sweet bready malt aroma
Flavor: sweet malt flavor, lots of bready Munich character, light earthyness
Aroma: 5/10; Appearance: 7/10; Flavor: 6/10; Palate: 6/10; Overall: 11/20
Rating: 2.9/5.0
Drinkability: 7/10
Score: ** /4

beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - NOV 28, 2008
On tap at the Portland pub. Pours a soft copper with a mild off-white head. Very fruity oktoberfest, didn’t quite have the depth of malt that I like. I tend to go for the more toasted malt varieties. Very drinkable with a long fruity malt finish and good balance.

3fourths (9357) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - NOV 17, 2008
Clear dark honey orange. Little to no head. Rich semi-sweet malt forward bread crust and honey flavored Munich and Vienna malts. Rich, sticky and lightly peppery texture... vibrant and fresh, layered well. Clean. Very tasty