overall
Brewed by Dieu du Ciel
Style: Imperial Stout
Montreal, Canada

RATINGS: 2188   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Péché Mortel (French for "Mortal Sin") is an intensely black and dense beer with very pronounced roasted flavours. Fair trade coffee is infused during the brewing process, intensifying the bitterness of the beer and giving it a powerful coffee taste. Péché mortel is brewed to be savored; we invite you to drink it in moderation.

This stout style, high in alcohol and bitterness in order to favour preservation, was historically brewed to support the long and arduous voyage necessary to export the beer from England to Russia. The word Imperial comes from the fact that the beer was specially brewed for the Russian tsar’s court.

Bartzilla (624) - La Mesa, California, USA - OCT 11, 2008
Oh yeah! Shit yeah! Thanks, WeeHeavySD, again! I wish I could get coffee this delicious at the hundred coffee shops in my neighborhood. But I can’t. Then combine that delicious coffee over a super tasty stout? Hell yeah. That’s what I’m talking about right there. This was very good, nay, great. Need more. Just ordered a new liver on ebay that should be here any day now. Game on.

bierkoning (13687) - La Tropica/Doarp, NETHERLANDS - OCT 10, 2008
Bottle, bought in Copenhagen. Almost black and opague. Roast, cream and coffee in the aroma. Malty sweet, creamy flavor with coffee. Roastbitter aftertaste with mocha. Alcohol is well hidden. Delicious beer.

pepperford (115) - robbinsdale, Minnesota, USA - OCT 9, 2008
lots of coffee and licorice aromas and flavors. a good amount of bitter roast to push back the sweetness.

blutt59 (6579) - Dallas, Texas, USA - OCT 9, 2008
bottle, black opaque color with large tan tight head, nose is coffee and cocoa, flavor of thick chewy smoked meat, coffee and raisins, finish is long viscous cocoa and preserves

thickfreakness (132) - AUSTIN, Texas, USA - OCT 6, 2008
From 5/19/08. This one just glugs out of the bottle and quickly forms a creamed coffee colored head. Its very dark, not a bit of light can get through this one. Great lacing as I drink it. This smells predominantly of complex coffee and dark chocolate with some roasted malts as well. I say complex coffee because half the time it smelled like fresh roasted espresso the other half it was more like ground coffee beans before making coffee ( a more earthy coffee smell). Originally when its still a bit cold its kind of astringent on the coffee taste. I’m going to let it warm quite a bit now. As the guy said in the review before me this one is best warm. Man the taste just opens up. The coffee taste is now just really smooth and clean and is the dominant flavor. I thought KBS was coffee forward but this one takes coffee to a whole new level. The mouthfeel is nice and viscous but its a little fizzy and slightly over carbonated for an RIS in my opinion. Drinkability is kind of medium when cold but its nice once warmed. You can get a hint of the alcohol but its hidden pretty well. Can’t have more than one or two of these bad boys.

Hansen (8615) - Assentoft, DENMARK - OCT 5, 2008
Dark, almost black. Has a beige head, mostly lasting. Aroma has coffee, malt. And some unpleasent yeasty notes. Flavor is heavy sweet, coffee. Syrup texture.

HomeBrewHawk (464) - De Soto, Kansas, USA - OCT 4, 2008
11.2 oz. bottle served in a snifter. Bottle conditioned. Poured a deep brown/black with a finger of tan head. Huge coffee aroma, a bit acrid and slightly metallic. Very bitter coffee flavor. Full bodied, but not syrupy. Warming alcohol. I found the coffee flavor to be a little harsh. Very dry finish with chocolate and more coffee. I was a little disappointed with this.

Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - OCT 4, 2008
Bottle pours thick and slow black brown with minimal head, leaving a surface ring and islands of tan foam. Agitation in my tulip reveals more foam clinging to the sides as the legs slide back down. The aroma is of spicy dried plums, coffee, and bitter chocolate laced with chipotle. The flavor does amazing things as it starts out with rich chocolate and coffee, shows some dark fruit sweetness, and lingers a coffee finish unlike many others attempting to be in the same league. The palate has a solid richness that also packs a satisfying carbonation. Warming brings out more complex chocolate notes and some cinnamon. Overall, this is world class.

otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 4, 2008
My personal creed is "Life is short. Drink good beer". Therefore, any highlight of my day and a blessed moment of my life is when I come across a beer which lives by a similar creed of "Life is short. I will be the best damn beer possible" and the craft brewery from Canada, Du de Ciel does just that with their Peche Mortel.
Coffee + Beer = Nirvana
My Peche Mortel poured a dark black with touches of deep earthen brown along the very edges of the glass when held up to the light. A thick soft head of cappuccino colored foam blankets her body below. Her nose is sweet and creamy with fresh brewed coffee and milk chocolate practically bursting out of the glass. A promising start as I delve into my first quaff of her luscious body. A minor bitter bite which immediately makes way for rich milk chocolate and fresh brewed aromatic coffee. A touch of molasses and caramel holds the coffee esters together while the succulent chocolate and toasted malt notes balance out Peche Mortel’s palate. A light and dry body with a clean mouthfeel as brussels lace coats my glass from the first quaff to the last.
I’ve been a coffee drinker far longer than a beer drinker, but both are pleasurable passions of mine. To marry the two is a perfect union and Dieu du Ciel’s Peche Mortel is the result. I could easily drink a couple three of these in a row, maybe even start off my morning with a Peche Mortel instead of my usual coffee. Magnificent.

sleestak (226) - Williamston, Michigan, USA - OCT 1, 2008
Une bottle. Pours ebony with a pinkie-high brown head that devolves into a crescent-shaped slick. Massive aroma of chocolate mousse and strong coffee. Drool. Taste is an amazing melding of creamy coffee and dark chocolate. Finish is mildly bitter and warmingly boozy. Lighter in body than any other RIS I’ve tasted, and strangley effervescent. (Not fizzy or anything, just surprisingly lively for a stout.) An all around amazing beer for the coffee generation.