overall
Brewed by Dieu du Ciel
Style: Imperial Stout
Montreal, Canada

RATINGS: 2191   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Péché Mortel (French for "Mortal Sin") is an intensely black and dense beer with very pronounced roasted flavours. Fair trade coffee is infused during the brewing process, intensifying the bitterness of the beer and giving it a powerful coffee taste. Péché mortel is brewed to be savored; we invite you to drink it in moderation.

This stout style, high in alcohol and bitterness in order to favour preservation, was historically brewed to support the long and arduous voyage necessary to export the beer from England to Russia. The word Imperial comes from the fact that the beer was specially brewed for the Russian tsar’s court.

bu11zeye (13215) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - APR 8, 2005
(Bottle) Pours a dark brown body with a medium-sized creamy tan head. Aroma of strong coffee (good if you like coffee). Flavor of coffee and malt. Creamy, semi-bitter sweet palate. Thanks for sharing TChrome!

Sickboy282 (1116) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 7, 2005
UPDATED: APR 12, 2005 Thank you DYIsoccer for sharing this treat. Pours a deep black hue with a small head. Aromas of coffee and chocolate and flavors of the same. This may be the closest to a mocha that a beer may ever be. Not the greatest, but very good. this is still no where near as good as the expedition.

TChrome (1481) - North Richland Hills, Texas, USA - APR 7, 2005
Beer pours basically black with a massive beige colored head that is totally retained. Aroma is 4 degrees of coffee, cold coffee, expresso, wet coffee grounds, and on other, just a hint of chocolate showing through all of the coffee goodness. Flavor is more expresso, cold coffee, earth. The finish is dry and chalky. I really would like to try the tap version, because the bottled version definetely doesn’t measure up to Expedition, which is my reference Impy stout.

EddieG (169) - Palos Heights, Illinois, USA - APR 7, 2005
Without sounding redundant, way overcarbonated. Afer allowing the beer to settle, a nice puffy tan head appeared provided a nice creamy mouthfeel to the beer. The aroma is somewhat lacking (not much of one at all) but the beer presents well at the first sip with a dry biting bitterness typicall of a nice coffee stout. Farily tannic and bitter with a cit of chalkiness to the taste. The beer finishes with a fairly warm trickle down the gullet. A nice offering made possible by Joe. Thanks.

Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - APR 7, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 22, 2006 Bottle: Appears a bit thin but that hasn’t prevented other imp stouts from having tremendous flavor (i.e. Storm King and Old Rasputin). Aroma is of old cigarettes and some coffee. Way too much carbonation in the taste to wrap my tongue around the liquid. Even as the carbonation decreases I still feel like I’m not getting unimpeded contact with the taste. What I do get is more cigarette, coffee and some hops at the end. This is not very impressive- even discounting the hype. I’m assuming this is not their best effort but I can’t even detect shadows of the purported brilliance in this batch. Pass me an expedition please. Thanks for the chance at this Joe. Re-Rate March 6 ’06: I asked the bartender at the brewpub if they had any Peche. He explained that it was out of season as were a lot of there bigger beers. I settled down with my wife at a window to play scrabble while enjoying pints of their "hemp red". A man with a brewpub t-shirt comes over and apologizes that they are out of the Peche on tap but offers a hand bottled version from the December ’05 batch. Easily one of my greatest beer moments. Needless to say this is what everyone in Montreal has been raving about. Smooth silky chocolate with dark espresso with perfect carbonation that renders a thick and rich palate. Outstanding!

HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - APR 6, 2005
When you pop open the bottle, a big coffee aroma fills the air. The pour is very carbonated producing a thick tan head. There is a heavy dark roasted coffee aroma almost burnt coffee. The palate is lively with carbonation which keeps it light on the tongue. The flavor is very one dimensional like other coffee stouts, having coffee wipe out other flavors instead of complementing them. Some hop flavor hidden in the aftertaste about the time my lips became sticky. If the coffee tones down, this would be excellent.

jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - APR 6, 2005
The pour is pitch black though not heavy and oily looking. The dark tan head is quite large, especially for an IS. The head is fizzy and collapses in heaps leaving behind some isolated pillows of dense sea foam. The aroma is loaded with coffee, I mean loaded, as in there is not much else going on. More straight up coffee than espresso. Lurking back there somewhere are notes of bitter chocolate and nuts. The flavor like the aroma is again massive amounts of coffee. This one is very close to falling into the “cold-coffee” camp of coffee stouts, which I do not like. As it warms a little bit more comes out, light chocolate, light citrus, alcohol, and some nuttiness. But in the end it is really just alcoholic coffee. The body is medium-full and lightened up by the fizzy palate from the large amounts of carbonation. The finish is lightly warming with lasting coffee breath. Given my high expectations (and the high price tag) this is a pretty big disappointment, given just what it is; it is decent though far from spectacular. The best coffee-enhanced stout I have yet had is still the Founders Breakfast Stout.

Schroppfy (2362) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - APR 6, 2005
If you like this and think the coffee is a little much, then I highly suggest seeking out Cisco’s Captain Swain’s Extra Stout, one of the most criminally underrated beers on RateBeer. This is a copy with the high carbonation bottle I have, but it misses the wonderful bread and yeast that the Cisco has, and adds a heap of coffee. I love coffee as much as the next guy, but it is the dominant flavor here. I have to disagree slightly with my good buddy - Founder’s Breakfast Stout is a little less lively and a lot thicker in the palate, with some extra raisiny sweetness that this just doesn’t have. Oh, it’s bitter, acidic, chocolate, slightly woody, and definitely well-made (hence the Cisco comparison), but it’s not the kind of beer it apparently is on tap. Huge thanks, and I mean huge, to JCW for the alert to this guy’s presence in this corner of the world. A very well-made beer.

JCW (1279) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 6, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 6, 2007 This is very similar to Founder’s Breakfast Stout, Very coffeeish and delicious. I will compare them side by side someday. Pitch black with alot of carbonation. If you open this at room temp. creep the cap off. frothy brown head. Aroma of a strong cup of coffee with maybe a little Kalua added. Thin bodied for a stout, but perfect for coffee comparisons. Neutral finish that left my lips sticky and with a thirst for more! Don’t open a room temperature, or cover it with a towel.

shoeshineboy (81) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - APR 5, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 13, 2007 It was good................. ... .. . ..... .. .. ... ... ... ... .... ... .. ... ... ... .. ... .... ... ... .... ... OH, I would lIke to say thanks to myself for sharing this wonderful wonderful beer with myself. Without me this would not have been possible!