overall
Brewed by Dieu du Ciel
Style: Imperial Stout
Montreal, Canada

RATINGS: 2158   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Péché Mortel (French for "Mortal Sin") is an intensely black and dense beer with very pronounced roasted flavours. Fair trade coffee is infused during the brewing process, intensifying the bitterness of the beer and giving it a powerful coffee taste. Péché mortel is brewed to be savored; we invite you to drink it in moderation.

This stout style, high in alcohol and bitterness in order to favour preservation, was historically brewed to support the long and arduous voyage necessary to export the beer from England to Russia. The word Imperial comes from the fact that the beer was specially brewed for the Russian tsar’s court.

zathrus13 (1776) - Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA - MAR 18, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 1, 2005 Rating #300!!! Bottle. Black color, with a tan/brown head. Aroma is mainly coffee, with some chocolate and smoke. Flavor is also coffee dominated, with malt, smoke, chocolate, and a touch of vanilla. Body is medium, any heaviler with this much coffee flavor would be too much. I think lovers of coffee stout will go nuts over this. NOTE: Batch #2, bottled 8/05 and tasted 11/1/05 - This version seems to be better balanced. Coffee is still in the forefront, but the chocolate is more apparent. Changed score from a 4.1 to a 4.2.

richlikebeer (838) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 13, 2005
22 oz bottle at the brewpub, Sept 03 vintage, batch #38. I drove through a snow and wind storm for 10 hours to get to Montreal, and ever second of it was worth it as soon as the cap came off the bottle. a viscous black pour with a creamy coffee colored head. i swirled it around in the glass for about 10 minutes, drowing myself in the rich aroma of coffee gushing out of the beer, along with some hints of licorice. by the time i tasted it, i was noticably drooling on the bar. the rich, thick mouthfeel explodes with coffee, with hints of malts and slight bits of chocolate coming along at the end. even the small amount that i licked off my lips after i put the glass down was pure heavenly beer. a slight bit of alcohol warmness came in with the first few sips, but were hardly noticable by the end of the bottle, and did nothing to detract from the taste. as the bottle warmed, the coffee flavor became even more dominant, making the malts even less present, but just a hint of hops crept in on the very tail end. I have never given a 5 before, but i have never had a beer that i anticipated so much and that lived up to that anticipation.

DYCSoccer17 (3702) - Woodland, California, USA - FEB 26, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 16, 2005 22oz Bottle at The Moan and Dove. Official USA release party. This beer smells like a high end coffee shop. This thing is immensely quaffable. I sniffed this beer for about 15 minutes. It is truly a great aromatic beer if you like coffee. Pitch black with a small brown/tannish head that is smaller than I’d expect. Very roasty and extremely coffee-full. I cannot imagine the coffee flavors in this. It actually tastes more like coffee than beer. Alcohol in this? No way. No alcohol detected. Tastes just like an espresso that’s more cabronated and roastier. A truly unique beer. Is this a classic Imperial Stout? No. Will coffee-lovers enjoy this? Yes. Will non-coffee lovers enjoy this? That is to be determined. For me, this was a bit thin as well.-----DRAFT at DDC RBSG05. This beer isn’t as opaque on draft as it is in the bottled for. With that said, the aroma is still delicious and the flavor is a bit sweeter and not as dominated by coffee. On draft, this is full-bodied and very very very smooth. I did not re-rate this, but I’d give it 10/4/9/5/19 if I did.

hopscotch (11161) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JAN 18, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 22, 2008 Bottle #46 Oct. 2004... This beer rocks!... Pitch black ale with no light penetration, even when held up to the Montreal Sunshine. Mid-sized, creamy, khaki-colored head with good retention. The aroma is of coffee beans, bitter-sweet chocolate and vanilla. The flavor is incredible. So rich, so sweet, so bitter, so warming, so complex, so BIG. At first, it is so pleasantly sweet on the tongue and then BANG!, the bitter, burnt flavors kick in. The coffee and hops take over, keeping the sweetness from being even remotely cloying. So many layers of flavor. Mega full-bodied and dry with fizzy carbonation. Lengthy, bitter-sweet finish. What a jewel of a brew! A lot of ratebeerians will be blown away by this one at the RBSG 2005 in Montreal. Thanks go out to Stefan for the bottle since the tap was dry!

asheft (3089) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 31, 2004
Black, black, black, with a brown thick head that lasted pretty much for the whole drink. Sour aroma with chocolate, coffee, and some fruitiness (it was really smokey in the bar). Very interesting flavour that appears to be from a large amount of chocolate malt. However, with the amount of coffee in this drink, it’s hard to detect much else. Was this a coffee beer or a beer coffee? I love coffee, so this was good for me, but if you don’t like coffee, forget you ever heard about this beer. There was a bit of ethanol and higher alcohol flavours and some faint fruitiness; also some bitterness that might have been from hops or espresso beans. Tasting this beer began with an unpleasant sour and soft bitter sensation that was really difficult for me to tolerate. Once the beer goes down, though the flavour really hits. Extremely full body with good carbonation. Unfortunately this beer was mouth puckering for me with the bitterness and sourness (of the coffee) interplay.

beerbuzzmontreal (3487) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 23, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 1, 2007 Pours a pitch black color with a medium, creamy light brown head that leaves beautifull lacing on the glass. Amazing, mind blowing aroma of dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt and cake icing. Amazing flavor of dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt and cake icing. It has a great balance throughout the tasting process, the chocolate, coffee and malt are pretty much even, no given element dominates the others, instead they join in harmony creating pure liquid orgasm. Very full body, liquorous texture and soft carbonation. This liquid wonder is a meal and a dessert in the same time, it’s a truly amazing and mind blowing achievement.

Goldorak (438) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 13, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 5, 2005 Sampled at the brewpub, of course. Like a liquid black hole, with a nice, rich mocha head, that didn’t die off from start to finish. Smell reminded me of Kahlua, Tia Maria and Bailey’s Irish cream. Taste is a massive expresso explosion. Alcohol barely noticeable, surprising for a 9.5% monster. This is DDC’s crowning achievement. ***update 05mar2005*** Sampled a bottle of aged Péché Mortel bottled in September 2003. This isn’t the batch sent down to the States via Shelton bros. Again, lights-out black, with a thick light brown head, maybe not as clingy and rich as the freshly tapped version. Almost no difference on the nose, roasted, kahlua and milk... Coffee bean goodness, and as creamy a Beer as I’ve ever tasted. The alcohol finish is just a little more present in this version, but still doesn’t feel close to 9%, more 3-4%. Nice roasted, almost burnt bitter finish.

GonZoBeeR (3061) - ste-catherine, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 11, 2004
aroma:delicat,soft smell of cofe. Appearance:Large white head on top.Lot of cream. Flavor:Chocolate,cofee"expresso" and alcohol. Palate:cofee and chocolate do not take to much of this beer because your stomac will not like that and you will vomit.hehehehehe Thats was appening to my girl friend.

Eyedrinkale (3214) - Astoria, New York, USA - NOV 15, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2005 Finally completing the missing piece of the three best impy stouts on the site. I have to say that since I have had them all, there really isn’t a clear best in this category. They all differ quite a bit with this and BA Speedway being only somewhat similar, this may get a slight edge. Sampled at the brewery from the fermenter, this is nothing short of black gold, liquid love, truely Nectar of the Gods. It’s my understanding that the partners of the brewery are working on having their beers distributed in the USA. The truth of the matter is that this could be the best made beer I have ever had the pleasure of putting my lips on. Unlike DL, you could drink a few of these, as there is somewhat of a supply (unlike BA Speedway). Now my Imperial Stout life is complete. Re-rated after drinking bottled version. The bottle is way over carbonated and the flavors are more subdued than my previous experience.

beerhugger (542) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 8, 2004
Are you sure you’re ready for this? Shut up Jeff - I’m ready. No really, are you sure you’re ready for this? Shut up Jeff, I’m ready. This went on periodically through the night at the 6th anniversary Party where Dieu du Ciel had been kind enough to throw some of the Péché Mortel into barrels for an extra year for us. As a Stoutie I had mixed emotions about it: On one hand I was eager for the elixir, but on the other I was nervous that a beer could live up to the hype. Then Martin T came over to say hi and he was carrying a tulip glass that I will remember for a long time. Mirror-like Obsidian black with an impossible to describe layer of icing on top. How could it go wrong from there. So shut up Jeff, I’m ready.

I wasn’t ready. Wholly unprepared for how decadent this was. Someone threw the birthday cake in the blender and liquified it. I can’t beleive how rich and creamy the coffee and chocolate are. Sadly the bar was getting a little smokey and my palate was getting a little dulled by the previous wonderful Ciel offerings - it became hard to get a full sense of the aromas and the complexity of flavour that seemed trapped and fighting to be noticed under the pounds of chocolate and coffee. Even so I found myself searching for how this could possibly be better. I think the only solution is regular return visits to Montreal to continue trying to figure it all out. In the meantime I’m still tasting the smooth, creamy, slightly bitter finish....