overall
Brewed by Brasserie Dieu du Ciel!
Style: Imperial Stout
Montréal, Canada

RATINGS: 2251   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Péché Mortel (French for "Mortal Sin") is an intensely black and dense beer with very pronounced roasted flavours. Fair trade coffee is infused during the brewing process, intensifying the bitterness of the beer and giving it a powerful coffee taste. Péché mortel is brewed to be savored; we invite you to drink it in moderation.

This stout style, high in alcohol and bitterness in order to favour preservation, was historically brewed to support the long and arduous voyage necessary to export the beer from England to Russia. The word Imperial comes from the fact that the beer was specially brewed for the Russian tsar’s court.

• Statistics
  • Locate Sellers

heemer77 (5366) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - JUN 22, 2005
The body was black with a thin tan head. The aroma was incredible coffee and some tobacco. The taste had old lettuce and old coffee. The body was relatively thin. A strange smoky aftertaste. A little disappointing. I would like to try this on tap.

brentfeesh (1216) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - JUN 21, 2005
This was my last rating of the evening. I had actually put my note pad down twice before this but I could not resist rating this last one. Poured dark brown/black with minimal brown wispy head. The aroma was thick with mostly unsweetened dark chocolate but you could certainly detect a hint of coffee. The flavor was very good with ash, cigarette tobacco, chocolate and loads of coffee. My only complaint is that Beeryum convinced me that the tobacco taste was too strong, and sadly I started to agree with him. I now have a somewhat tainted view of this flavor and will have to try it again. The body is lightly carbonated and creamy. That does not seem to go together but that’s what I thought of it. Over all this is a brew I’d like to try again.

LilKem (1213) - Marietta, Ohio, USA - JUN 20, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 19, 2006 Had this again this year, and here: Aroma of chocolate chips, coffee beans that have been soaking in water. Blackish brown with ruby highlights and dark tan head. Tastes like whipped cream, black coffee, heavy roasted malts, chocolate chip cookies, Starbucks double shot, and finishes like bittersweet baking chocolate.

Suttree (6651) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JUN 20, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 29, 2005 Black, of course, with a faint brown head. Aroma is of coffee and red wine. Smooth, rich chocolate flavors, and of course fresh roasted coffee. Lots of coffee, in fact. But I like coffee flavor in stouts, so I liked this one quite a bit. The aformentioned chocolate and red wine play a role, as well, but remain in the background. Update, Nov 29, 05 - I had this again, and this time a full bottle, after Thanksgiving dinner. Man, this stuff is good.

Enniskillen (2061) - Bakersfield, California, USA - JUN 18, 2005
Freshly roasted coffee, a hint of chocolate and cream. This has a huuuuuuge coffee flavor, straight, no cream. Nice Big head, and full body, lives up to the hype for this rater. Big Thanks to Odeed for bringing the brew.

OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - JUN 16, 2005
#300 - 650 ml bottle bottled 11/04 - acquired via trade from hopdog - Thanks Steve!! The bottle foamed over the top when I popped the cap. That impressed me right away.. Pours black as night with an enormous milkshake like brown head that leaves a beautiful spiderweb lacing all the way down the glass. Aroma is burnt malts, some cigar smoke, and delicious coffee. A touch of chocolate, and a bit of vanilla can also be found in the nose. Flavor is amazingly complex and beautiful. First sip was mostly roasted malts, some smoke, and coffee with a good bitter edge and a nice warm alcohol feel afterwards. As I got deeper into the bottle it seemed more sweet mocha, vanilla, some molasses and a touch of raisin came through the coffee background but still it left you with mostly coffee flavor on the finish. On the palate this is smooth creamy and mouth coating.. I think it even coated my throat all the way down. Thick, almost like syrup. The alcohol can only be detected by the warmth at the back of each sip. If this is truly a mortal sin I’m glad to be going to hell! Terriffic brew!

omnivore (270) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUN 14, 2005
Pours a dark, chocolate brown with a fluffy caramel head. The aroma is that of ground coffee. It’s got the burnt/roasted coffee flavors followed by a mild alcoholic bite at the end. Quite tasty.

argo0 (14128) - Washington DC, USA - JUN 12, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 13, 2005 (draft, RBSG05) Big beige head eventually settles from the turbidity atop a red-black body. Aroma is sweet, coffee, roast, some vanilla, smoke, light chocolate. Taste is sweet, coffee, roasty, some vanilla chocolate. But really, it is all about the coffee. Coffee aftertaste that lingers and lingers (in a good way). Really smooth and creamy, full body. (8/5/8/5/17)

(660ml bottle, bottled 11/04, sampled 6/12/05) A soda fizz accompanies the pour, which yields a big brown milkshakish head atop a black body with red edges. Aroma is moderately sweet, coffee, roasty, some chocolate -- evokes a rich mocha torte. Taste is moderately sweet, coffee, chocolate, some roast. FWIW, I noticed a cigarette smoke element about mid-bottle, but after a couple of sips, it went away. Alcohol is fairly well hidden, though it, accompanied by some herbal bitterness, does reveal itself somewhat in the swallow. Aftertaste is all coffee. Syrupy and smooth full body, very drinkable for a beer with this much oomph. Of course I was well aware of the warnings associated with the bottled version of this beer, but I am not disappointed -- this is a great beer in its own right, and I can only imagine how amazing the brewpub version must be. Only complaint I have (other than the cigarette quality) is not truly fair, i.e., a bit too much coffee. (8/4/8/5/16)

DarkElf (3067) - La Jolla, California, USA - JUN 9, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 21, 2005 (22 oz bottles: Obtained in trades with BierBauch and shadey, thanks Ron and Shane!) Finally, a bottle all to myself! This way, instead of rating this in poor conditions (eg, a dimly lit bar), I get to rate it in the comfort of my own home. So, the legendary Péché Mortel. As the beer departed the bottle, heading toward the waiting tulip glass, the color was pretty much your basic brown, but once in the glass, it’s definitely black, except at the edges where it’s a deep mahogany. Tan, creamy head is very active on the pour, but eventually settles to a thin layer. As expected from the beer’s name, the nose is all coffee, a powerful, deep, darkly roasted, bitter coffee. I really can’t smell anything else with this beer, just the coffee. And also as expected, the flavor follows suit, dominated by the very same intense coffee. It’s moderately bitter and very roasty, but it’s not at all sweet, and I can’t really taste much in the way of hops or a traditional maltiness. Alcohol is pretty well hidden -- it certainly isn’t very noticeable to me. By now, I only have a few inches of beer left in my glass, and the liquid is now translucent and dark brown, so this isn’t nearly as dark as some other Imperial Stouts. But the thin layer of head is still maintaining itself. Oh, and a modest complaint with this beer is that it’s a bit thinner than I expected, not even full bodied in my book, so let’s call it medium "plus". Overall, I really like this beer. It’s probably the most coffee-dominated beer I’ve ever had, so it gets props for that. But it loses props with me for being so one-dimensional. Ultimately, it’s too much bitter coffee and not enough of anything else to balance the beer out, and I wish it wasn’t so damn dry. Frankly, I find the astringency of the finish to be a bit harsh. Since they call it an "Imperial Coffee Stout", maybe we should interpret that literally. It’s not a coffee-flavored Imperial Stout, but a mega-coffee flavored regular stout. In any regard, very good stuff, but contrary to its reputation, not nearly one of the very best Imperial Stouts in the world, at least not according to my tastes.

mds (2256) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 8, 2005
bottle. This was a one year aged bottle tasted at the brewpub - batch #42. Pours a thick pitch black body with a luscious rocky mocha head. Boatloads of coffee aroma and cigar smoke coming from other tables does not mask this powerful essence. Also notes of raisins and licorice. I probably just sat there smelling this for a good five minutes. First sip, yes, this is definitely a coffee inspired stout. Bittersweet chocolate throughout. I’m simply amazed by how well this beer is balanced and how silky smooth it is. This is truly a masterpiece. I’m still going to have to try this fresh on draught some day though.