overall

RATINGS: 2554   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBUs, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
siokaos (12) - USA - JUN 17, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 20, 2006 I dont say this about a whole lot of beer, especially not ones from amazing breweries, but I will never drink this again. Drinking dogfishead tonight? Save four bucks and buy a 90! This "beer" is disgustingly hoppy and spiced syrup. Not for me

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
stegosaurus (1882) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 15, 2006
Bottle sampled with beerded_one pours copper with a beige lasting head one finger thick. Aroma of caramel mlats, citrusy hops, and slight dark fruits to the nose. Flavor is mostly sweet, caramel, fruit; the followed up by citrus & slight bittering hops. Good body, excellent brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerBB (132) - Harleysville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 14, 2006
Not as hoppy as I expected. Very strong alcohol. Malt clearly over powers the hops. All in all not worth the extra $ vs the 90 Min IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mookieguy (17) - USA - JUN 10, 2006
Bottle. finally got to try this one! wonderful hops. full flavor. not too harsh. quite sweet actually which was a suprise. wish it was more common, but the 90 minute suits me fine.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hophound (23) - Surprise, Arizona, USA - JUN 10, 2006
Wow! This is not what I expected. This is a very sweet beer. There was not near as much flavor from the hops as I had antecipated. however when oyu first pour 120 Min IPA you are greated with a wonderful hop filled aroma. It pours with a golden-copper color, and has a rather viscous mouthfeel. The overwelming impression Ill take from this beer is how incredibly seet it is. Certainly not a bad beer, just not what I expected.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
wickedpete (634) - Lexington Park, Maryland, USA - JUN 9, 2006
Growing up in Maine we used to get these little maple sugar candies in our christmas stockings and on other special occasions. They are terribly rich and sweet. Thats what this tasted like at the beginning. The bitterness wasnt as strong as I expected but it was there slightly. The alcohol was more than evident in my mouth. Definitely glad I finally tried this but certainly not an everyday beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
NachlamSie (3380) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 7, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 19, 2008 bottle. Extra cloudy copper hue with a foamy white head. Aroma is strong. Tons of grapefruit, caramel, prunes, with just a little alcohol making itself noticed. This stuff is absolutely syrupy with remarkable amounts of caramel and sappy sweetness. The hops arent as overwhelming as Id expect, but they are certainly assertive. Theres a whole array of outdoorsy, citrusy, spicy hops. I think the ridiculously dense malts cover them up somewhat. The finish is port-like, though accompanied with plenty of bitterness. Laces like oil on the side of the goblet, I see. This stuff is just ludicrous. Cheers!
[march 19, 2008]
Bottle, a fresh one this time. Pours a cloudy orange with a tiny head. The nose is heavy, syrupy, with grapefruit juice, and ripe fruits that I might associate with a barley wine style. Mouthfeel is dense, but not outrageous and the alcohol is hidden well. Id say it blends in with the dry, resinous acidic notes. The finish brings out flavors of raisins and plums. The hops are detectable, even quite drying, but are not over the top. Sweeter citrus flavors are here. so, this is pretty good, its definitely extreme as a beer. Its not worth 8 bucks a bottle. I understand that the sheer amount of ingredients used, especially the expensive hops, costs a crap-ton of money comparatively, but the end result is a heavy, moderately bitter, decently balanced brew. . . not something I enjoyed as much as their WWS for instance. Definitely worth trying once or twice to make sure I have an idea what is going on here.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
FridgRaider (108) - Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 7, 2006
this is way to strong for me. alcohol is good but still pepto-bismol type flavor like the 60 is to much for my weak taste buds

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
eaglefan538 (3035) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - JUN 5, 2006
Thanks (I think) to doulos31 for finding this one for me. However, this didnt do it for me, but I didnt find it as terrible as some have made it out to be. Definitely way over sweet and thick malty base that left an aftertaste that was very sweet. It wasnt until 10 seconds or so into the aftertaste that I was able to get the hops. Flavor was otherwise resinous, and there was very little citrus/grapefruit aromas present (ie. I wanted more of that). Pour had an initial head, but that fizzle away in the gluttoness presence of alochol, that actually hid well (not sure what wouldnt hide in this sweet syrup goo). Color was amber yellow. Mouthfeel was really thick.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
LearninBeer (522) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - JUN 1, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2010 The aroma is hoppy and a hint of anise - very nice. The appearance is a light brown/orange with a good head mostly diminishing, great lacing. The flavor is sweet, carmel tastes and syrupy. The alcohol is barely noticable but is a nice blend. The palate just wants to suck this up, great taste and nice longevity. Bottle from 4/17/08 - The aroma is sweet, anise/dates/fogs, vanilla, smells excetional! Pours a clear copper/orange/brown with minimal light brown head, excellent lacing. The taste is very sweet then bitter. The body is medium, the texture creamy, the carbonation lively and the finish bitter. Overall DAMN GOOD!