overall

RATINGS: 2575   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 495   ABV: 16.5%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBUs, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
blueduk (118) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - JUL 4, 2006
This rating is based on the very vivid memory I have from a few tastes of this beer earlier tonight. First, most everyone is wrong in their profiles. The aromas are piney and resin, pepper and citrus and honey with emphasis on the former (pine/spruce) rather than anything else. The beer is powerfully alcoholic with a thick syrupy palate. Strangely, this beer likened to Weyerbacher Decadance, which was on my mind from a recent tasting. This beer is not sharp or bitter. Its smooth and intoxicating. Cough syrup. The honey and spices linger on for a while before fading into a sticky finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
patrick767 (4047) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - JUL 3, 2006
Pours copper and slightly murky. The haze clears up quickly. Theres almost no head. The aroma is hops and alcohol. The hops is there, but not as strong of an aroma as I expected given 30 days of dry hopping. The flavor is intense with a full body provided by mountains of malt. The hops is definitely there, though its not as overpowering as I expected. The malt and alcohol seem to have buried the hops enough that honestly I thought 90 minute had more intense hops. The finish is long and bitter with a lingering warmth in the throat from that 21% abv. I enjoyed this "extreme" beer, but I think the experiment that is 120 Minute IPA was pushed a little too far. Some more typical double IPA style brews like Dogfish Head 90 Minute and Great Divide Hercules are better.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
asteele8 (322) - Des Moines, Washington, USA - JUN 28, 2006
This was a beer I did not expect. The sweetness wasnt too bad, but the alcohol taste was a little too strong for my liking. The aromas were fantastic though and the taste at first of something citrusy was also great. However, the sharp alcoholic taste to finish was not what I like. I will stick to the 90 Minute IPA

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
jason (1834) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 27, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 28, 2007 Bottle - 03/30/06. I dont think Ive had such a great experience as Ive had with this beer as with any other. Ive been wanting to try this for a long time and have finally been fortunate enough to find it in singles in Sharkies, a basement/filthy bar, of all places. The Aroma was so sweet and really took over me, sending a pleasant sensation to me. The appearance had me mystified watching the head act as though it was alive. I kept swooshing it back and forth to watch the carbonation great a new head that was utterly fascinating. I think I almost had enough fun looking at this beer as I did drinking it. The flavor almost knocked me on my a$$! Very sweet but under control, nice alcoholic taste that was not over powering and barley noticable for being 21%. If I didnt already know that this beer was 21% I would not have known while I was drinking it. Very sippable. This is the type of drink I need to have while reading a Hemingway or Thomas Hardy novel or watching Raging Bull. This feels like a ipa version of a barley wine. This may be my new #1. Great, great brew!!! Cheers!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Louipa (121) - USA - JUN 25, 2006
Yeah, not what I expected. VERY sweet, VERY alcoholic. Tastes like if you mixed 90 minute with pink zinfandel wine or possilbly mead. Very strange. But it does mess you up. Im gonna age a bottle, but I was kinda dissapointed. Ill stick with 90 minute and WW stout.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
undsioux7 (872) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - JUN 23, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 26, 2006 Pours a nice lazy light yellow/orange with a frothy white head that hangs around. Aroma is a nice mellow sweet citris hop that you can smell a mile away but not any more 1 inch away. Beutiful. Full mouthfeel with sweet candy malt. Sweet to hops and back again. Just finishes nicely with no aftertaste. I dont care for sweet beers, but the rest is perfection.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jujutsuweasel (6) - Olympia, Washington, USA - JUN 23, 2006 does not count
The clearish amber color and slighltly off-white head are a little deceiving, this brews got some body. It was a hop-hop-hoppy experience, and I love hops. Really assaults the palate nicely. If it wasnt so darned expensive Id work it into my regular rotation.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
walleye (1099) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - JUN 18, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 19, 2006 my fathers day beer.04 bottle. poured an amber copper, with a small off white head that didnt last but left some lacing.aroma caramel , alcohol, tangerine, honey, brown sugar,than got some hops, was excepting more hops, a whole bunch of sweetness. flavor wow the alcohol comes right out there than all that sweetness with some hops. this is almost to the point of being too sweet. going to see if I can find a fresher bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Enniskillen (2046) - Salinas, California, USA - JUN 18, 2006
Aroma is like hop syrup, northwest hops are dominant. hint of caramel. Body is amber with a nice white head. Taste is very sweet, with brown sugar, toffee, no real hops present. Very differant, expected Pliny the Younger, but got Drakes 15th.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
railcat1 (702) - Kissimmee, Florida, USA - JUN 18, 2006
WOW what a beer this reminds me of dreadnaught with more alcohol and hops. a hop lovers dream and strong