overall

RATINGS: 2559   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBUs, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
xproudfoot (750) - Paleolithic, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 16, 2005
Pours a pretty reddish orange with a faint trace of head. I want to let it warm up a bit, but the appley brown sugar aroma is too dang inviting, and I just have to take a sip. Im getting a contact buzz off the aroma, its like a rum raisin coming off this thing. Its like liquid gold in my mouth, heavy, creamy and full of flavor. A cornucopia of fruits and rum apple sugar cake. Its got the depth of a great belgian triple. Theres a slight hint of fire on the finish and tons of flavor. These guys have outdone themselves. Bravo. If my birthday cake could be a beer this would be a strong candidate. PS Goldoraks rating below rules. I couldnt have explained it better.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 13, 2005
The 120 has been kind of the Holy Grail for me on my beer "odessy" if you will. My first great beer was the DFH 90 minute, and upon sampling the 60 and then finding out about the 120, it has been my goal to eventually get my hands on this brew. Well it took a while, about 2 years actually, but thanks to this site and mkgrenwell I finally got a few bottles of this. Pours an orange/copper color with a nice head. Good hop aroma, with the alcohol ever present. The flavor is really something, the hops are there, but the insane ABV really keeps them in check with a sweet malty alcohol flavor, that is just as strong as all the intense hoppiness of the brew. Its really a testament to this beer for the hops to come through at all, something with the ABV of a cheap supermarket vodka shoudnt be this easy drinking and flavorful. Not my favorite beer of all time by any means, but damn was it worth the wait. And I can certainly see how it would improve with age.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Goldorak (438) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 13, 2005
A clear melted copper colored brew that was pellucid, the kind that seems to give an opposite image of your finger, like in that perfect spot in front of a magnifying glass. Head was fleeting, but bright white.
Highly alcoholic and medicinal, like those disinfected gauzes. But this wasnt that infected, band-aid kind of aroma. It sort of reminded me of Laphroag...The hops are massive, but its different than most of the other hop monsters Ive tried before, as if the hops aromas were extracted by maceration in booze, like a crme de cassis.
The malt is there, and chunky as hell. Take a heaping spoonfull of DME, put in a few drops of vodka and mix it into a rough paste, and chew it like gum. Then shove a few hop pellets in there. I wouldnt exactly call this Beer a balanced one, nor did the brewer intend it to be this way, I bet. A very present malt sweetness that stands side by side with the hops like two gigantic robots fighting for the fate of the universe in some japanese manga. Taste is like rapinis blanched in maple syrup. Even in the aftertaste, smaking your lips immediately brings back the herbal, mouth puckering hops, but the lingering malt also! Its like rock candy with the hop bud center.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BobbyW3363 (154) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 12, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 3, 2006 Drinking this for the third or fourth time. After trying the 60- and 90- minute IPAs I was really looking forward to trying the 120-minute! It more than lived up to my expectations. Though it doesnt really taste anything like your traditional IPA, this beer is excellent. It pours a nice amber color, and smells both hoppy and malty. The taste is complex; both sweet and hoppy, and surprisingly, the high alcohol content is less noticible in the mouth than one would think. It gives a warming feeling in the chest, but does not burn the mouth or throat. A must try for any IPA fan or Strong ale fan.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
blankboy (7583) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 12, 2005
Bottle shared with HogTownHarry & tupalev -- courtesy of Dave B. I had heard this beer was good but never did I imagine it was this good! Pours a clear, slightly bubbly, orange-amber with a small lasting foamy white head. The aroma: hopjuice baby! Oh yeah, I friggin love it -- I am going to just sniff this all night. Sniff. Sniff. The flavour: Holy Sh!t! Can a beer taste better than this? the following superlatives come to mind: Excellent! Impessive! Delicious!...you get the idea. If I must describe it further then I would say the flavour is a wonderful blend of juicy hops and toasty malt and is surprisingly well balanced. I freaked when I saw this was 21%, I exclaimed loudly "Theres no way!", hell Im still shocked as you would never know it by the taste. Palate is syrupy and has a Barley Wine texture. Quite simply one of the best beers Ive ever had and Id argue one of the best beers period.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - DEC 12, 2005
Bottle graciously shared by Hogtown Harry with Blankboy and GregClow. I was just flipping though some other ratings of this - why in the world are people so hung up on style here? BarleyWine, Double IPA, I dont care, all I know is that this is a beer that I have been waiting to try for some time. I was a little cautious, as the World Wide Stout was massively disappointing, all alcohol and nothing else. So I sipped this with the aforementioned caution. First off, it looks amazing. Dark intense orange, lots of streaming bubbles, thick foamy white head - I cant see a beer like this looking any better, so 5 there. The aroma- wow, it is actually quite mild! At 21% and these hops, I had insulated my nose hairs in case of fire, but it isnt there. What is there is a mild hop aroma with tons of bready malt - it smells formidable, but there really isnt any alcohol to speak of. The taste: WOW. I never thought I would use the word balanced to describe a 21% hopped all to hell beer, but here you go - it is remarkably balanced (more so than their 90 Minute I would argue). I get lots of hops, more really bread like malt, and alcohol for sure, but maybe more like an 8-10% beer - this is remarkably restrained. More importantly, it is the most balanced big Double IPA I have ever had. Medium silky mouthfeel. A nice sweet fruitiness in the background as well. Way more accessible than the World Wide Stout, this is truly heaven in a glass. Thank you Harry for sharing this. 120 Minute: Welcome to my Top 10.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
LilKem (1213) - Marietta, Ohio, USA - DEC 11, 2005
Hot damn. This was more like a barleywine with hops than a IIPA. Way overkill on the alcohol, felt like i was taking shots. still had a few distinguishable flavors, but most ofthem were covered up by the alcohol burn. I think its safe to say that this one pretty much knocked me on my ass this weekend.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
porterhouse (1580) - Boothbay, Maine, USA - DEC 10, 2005
(Bottle) Poured a light amber with a thin fizzy off-white head that dissipated quickly. Aroma not pronounced but detected breadiness and flowery hops. Weepy lacing. Mouthfeel is fairly syrupy, sticky at end. Must be pretty carbonated, am burping up hops about every 20 seconds. Flavor is a combination of honey, rosewater, flowery hops, malt and alcohol sweetness. Well this is cool, will give you a buzz quickly. Sweet and hoppy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
JoshuaB (476) - Detroit, Michigan, USA - DEC 10, 2005
2005 Bottle. Pours a deep copper, rather translucent. Damn filtering. A thin layer of white head remained throughout. Amazing aroma. Smells of grapefruit, grapefruit, and more grapefruit. Maybe some toffee as well. Flavor starts out with a huge blast of malty sweetness. This is followed by a huge blast of spicy and grapefruity hops, to the max. Oh man. My first thought was, is this Hawaiian punch? Ends rather sweet, borderline cloying. Alcohol is well hidden considering the magnitude. Ive seen lesser beers in the 10-11 ABV range show more alcohol (eg. Dulle Teve). First few ounces were amazing, the next few not so much, and the last few were hard to finish. A crazy concoction worth a try, but in the end, lacking a bit of complexity, and the sweetness becomes unbearable at the end. Will need another bottle to cellar. More of an American Strong Ale than a IIPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
HogTownHarry (6563) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - DEC 6, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 12, 2005 Bottle (12oz). Shared with blankboy and tupalev, courtesy of Dave B. Poured hazy deep orange with an average diminishing off-white head. Aroma - wow, incredible rich hops - dry hops, resiny fresh hops, oily hops - mmmmm - also woody solid malt backing, a bit funky and lactic too - nice. Taste - this is 21%? Really? Lovely rich sweet malt, resiny hops that build slowly and really stay with you. Sticky, full-bodied mouthfeel, really really nice. Thanks Dave!