overall

RATINGS: 2453   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 495   ABV: 16.5%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45°P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBU’s, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

sayravai (4711) - Helsinki, FINLAND - APR 29, 2006
([email protected] Twist) Clear amber color with a small, lacy head. Toffee-brandy-sugary aroma with blackcurrant leaves. Extremely malty and hoppy, sweet, berryish brandy flavor. Peppery-sticky-bitter-warming aftertaste. Alcohol is present, but easily approachable. Full-bodied, sugary-sweet, barley-wineous, ultra bitter, slightly burning, low-carbonated palate. A unique, very pleasant beer liquour!

darkangel13 (2) - westfield, New Jersey, USA - APR 27, 2006 does not count
this is one of the best iipa’s in the world if your a hop head and you don’t like this brew something wrong with you and you need to get your head checked out this beer is great AND THATS THAT!

punkrkr27 (903) - Berkley, Michigan, USA - APR 27, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 14, 2007 Pours a hazy golden orange with a big fluffy off white head. Aroma is caramel, pineapple, citrus and some warm yeastiness. Very sticky sweet flavor, loads of piny, citrusy hops with a big honey like balance. Alcohol is not hidden, it really makes itself known. Great mouth feel! Thick and sticky yet smooth. I’m not a big hophead, but this is an excellent beer.

slimweebs (164) - Los Angeles, California, USA - APR 26, 2006
This is a strange beer. It is SO strong. It’s REALLY sweet... almost syrupy. The mouthfeel is amazing, but the flavor is overpowering. A few sips tastes good, but finishing just one 12oz. bottle was tough. Incredible alcohol content is covered up fairly well, but at the expense of too much malt and hops. This is the ultimate freak extreme beer... I’m guessing you either love it or really dislike it. I disliked it.

Ty5592 (1024) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 24, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 11, 2009 Liquid gold!!! Beautiful gold color with great hop smell. Sweet and floral with bitter hop bite at the end. Very strong!! Had on tap a my local pub(as well as in bottle, draught better.) Passed out on my son’s bedroom floor after 3 chimay cups worth.

sersdf (1020) - chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 22, 2006
so........................... i’m a hophead, right? i mean, right? so why do i hate the "hoppiest" beer ever? let me count the reasons. a) doesn’t have any hop character in the flavor. b) it’s a fucking barleywine. c) it’s horribly alcoholic in flavor, and if that isn’t bad enough, the incredibly excessive maltiness that is supposed to hide the alcohol just makes it more unbearable... reminded me of the samichlaus (sp?) and what an awful experience that was.

Zeswaft (1785) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 22, 2006
I’ve waited so long for this beer and what did it do? It crapped on my heart.

imzugzug (104) - Bechtelsville, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 18, 2006
Just not my cup o tea {glass o beer}. I want to be a hop head...really I do!! This smelled just like it tastes, like a $10 bunch of flowers from the supermarket. No sweetness, no bitterness, just flowers, flowers, flowers. I know I’m going against everyone else here and I struggled with even rating this one because I love DFH so much. Sorry Sam, guess you just can’t please all the people all the time!

boojummy (50) - Medford, Massachusetts, USA - APR 15, 2006
From a 12 oz bottle ($15!) in a tulip glass. This is the second time I’ve had this. Just amazing. Best beer I’ve ever had. This beer is all about hops. Fresh hop aroma. Huge hop flavor. Perfect hop bitterness, hoppy but not overwhelming. The beer actually smells just like sticking your nose into a bag of fresh hops. Full body, golden brown color. Just an excellent beer. The high alcohol content is perfectly balanced with the sweetness and bitterness of the beer. This is almost like drinking a scotch. Well worth the money.

bhensonb (15963) - Woodland, California, USA - APR 14, 2006
How to distinguish this from Belgian candy? How to believe it’s 120 IBU? It is certainly fantastic. Extremely satisfying. Best to admit it is unique, and not to be compared with other ales.