overall

RATINGS: 2585   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 495   ABV: 16.5%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45°P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBU’s, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

beervana (781) - Libertyville, Illinois, USA - JAN 9, 2006
(01.07.06) 12 oz brown bottle purchased from DiCarlo’s, Mundelein, IL. Bottle label states that beer was brewed on 03.04.05 and is good for aging. Hazy orange hued Imperial IPA having no discernable head. No discernable carbonation. Odd aroma of sesame oil and hops. Full bodied that starts with light malt sweetness and fruity, hop, and alcohol flavors. Finishes with light lingering hop bitterness. Well-balanced. Definite alcoholic warmth. Smooth, rich, and delicious brew but the sesame oil smell (oxidation product?) turned me off. Need to try another bottle in the future.

Likerighteous (120) - Pflugerville, Texas, USA - JAN 8, 2006
$8 12oz bottle, Rueben’s. She finally found one! Holy Grail, indeed. Blindside 6oz pour. She hands me the glass and instantly, I know it is barley wine. Slow, high viscosity, sweetness. Complex whole grain holiday fruit-bar. I doubted the 21% claim she said the sales girl had told her. I guessed 12, maybe 14. Well disguised. Wonderful little stocking stuffer treat that never made it to the stocking. :)

kujo9 (1095) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - DEC 30, 2005
12 oz botte, 4 oz sample, I’ll save the rest for later!!!! Light amber, very pale aleish!!!! No head, but pours pretty thick, like new motor oil, and about the same color. Thick, alcoholic legs on the glass. Aroma, surprisingly enough, is citrusy hop (grapefruit and lemon) as well as grassy and alcoholic. A bit sugary in aroma as well. Surprisingly, toasty malt is pretty strong, as is a bit of caramel. Beyond that, very little fruitiness. Well balanced for a huge beer! A bit on the sweet side throughout, but that’s to be expected in a 21% ABV beer. Sweet, and toasty malt, very little citrusy hop flavor, w/ some hints of brown sugar! Very little fruitiness as with the aroma, but it is all citrus hop for what little is there. Full bodied, lower med carbonation, and a definite warming, almost "hot" m/f. yet smooth at the same time! The 1st time I had this is seemed horribly out of balance. This one is actually pretty good. Not something I’d drink every day, but a nice treat once in a while!!! The hop nose surprises me the most!!!!

tmas2day (3) - Texas, USA - DEC 30, 2005 does not count
This is a must-try. Golden color and citrus flavor and with an alcohol content of 21% what college peoson could pass this up.

fatty (363) - Perkiomenville, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 19, 2005
Pours clear honey amber with light, slow rising carbonation and thin off-white head that laces the ring. Aroma is floral, light pine, grapefruit and alcohol. Flavor is sweet with dry hops, light orange/citrus plus some alcohol warming, burning if you take a bigger gulp. Creamy palate. Even though the OH is pretty well hidden considering the high %, it is still a bit overpowering.

HopheadHans (804) - Bay Area, California, USA - DEC 17, 2005
Bottle. Pours amber to orange color, with a white head that dissipates slowly. I could not discern much of an aroma, it was close to Allspice and toffee but not flowery like some other IPAs. The beer has a moderate hoppiness to it. Flavor is sweet, with a bitter hop finish that lasts fairly long. On the palate the beer is very smooth. The alcohol shines through a little bit, but one could never tell that it is that high in ABU. A very fine beer.

sandwichpants (117) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - DEC 17, 2005
Another successful crazy IPA from Dogfish Head!!! Better than I expected, some have said this beer is a little inconsistent or too extreme, I found it neither. It was a very tasty, malty, and especially floral and aromatic brew. Some flavours in there I don’t recognize or know how to put words to attest to the complexity of this beer. And despite it’s extreme process, alcohol, and IBUs, it was smooth and easily drinkable (though it had PLENTY of body). Not as extreme and experience as Founders Devil Dancer (my current favorite super IPA), but this beer has a wonderful character all it’s own, even amongst the other IPAs of this series. Definitely worth a try!

xproudfoot (750) - Paleolithic, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 16, 2005
Pours a pretty reddish orange with a faint trace of head. I want to let it warm up a bit, but the appley brown sugar aroma is too dang inviting, and I just have to take a sip. I’m getting a contact buzz off the aroma, it’s like a rum raisin coming off this thing. It’s like liquid gold in my mouth, heavy, creamy and full of flavor. A cornucopia of fruits and rum apple sugar cake. It’s got the depth of a great belgian triple. There’s a slight hint of fire on the finish and tons of flavor. These guys have outdone themselves. Bravo. If my birthday cake could be a beer this would be a strong candidate. PS Goldorak’s rating below rules. I couldn’t have explained it better.

sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 13, 2005
The 120 has been kind of the Holy Grail for me on my beer "odessy" if you will. My first great beer was the DFH 90 minute, and upon sampling the 60 and then finding out about the 120, it has been my goal to eventually get my hands on this brew. Well it took a while, about 2 years actually, but thanks to this site and mkgrenwell I finally got a few bottles of this. Pours an orange/copper color with a nice head. Good hop aroma, with the alcohol ever present. The flavor is really something, the hops are there, but the insane ABV really keeps them in check with a sweet malty alcohol flavor, that is just as strong as all the intense hoppiness of the brew. It’s really a testament to this beer for the hops to come through at all, something with the ABV of a cheap supermarket vodka shoudn’t be this easy drinking and flavorful. Not my favorite beer of all time by any means, but damn was it worth the wait. And I can certainly see how it would improve with age.

Goldorak (438) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 13, 2005
A clear melted copper colored brew that was pellucid, the kind that seems to give an opposite image of your finger, like in that perfect spot in front of a magnifying glass. Head was fleeting, but bright white.
Highly alcoholic and medicinal, like those disinfected gauzes. But this wasn’t that infected, band-aid kind of aroma. It sort of reminded me of Laphroag...The hops are massive, but it’s different than most of the other hop monsters I’ve tried before, as if the hops aromas were extracted by maceration in booze, like a crème de cassis.
The malt is there, and chunky as hell. Take a heaping spoonfull of DME, put in a few drops of vodka and mix it into a rough paste, and chew it like gum. Then shove a few hop pellets in there. I wouldn’t exactly call this Beer a balanced one, nor did the brewer intend it to be this way, I bet. A very present malt sweetness that stands side by side with the hops like two gigantic robots fighting for the fate of the universe in some japanese manga. Taste is like rapinis blanched in maple syrup. Even in the aftertaste, smaking your lips immediately brings back the herbal, mouth puckering hops, but the lingering malt also! It’s like rock candy with the hop bud center.