overall

RATINGS: 2574   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 495   ABV: 16.5%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBUs, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
mikie681 (4) - USA - SEP 2, 2005 does not count
Amber pour with a very hoppy aroma. Very smooth for its strength, though. Orangey taste with pleasant sweet aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
lamas (1635) - Washington DC, USA - AUG 19, 2005
Bottle. I think its from 2004. A clear, honey/amber pour with a smallish light-tan head that leaves delicate webbed lacing. Aroma is of spicy hops, caramel, vanilla and alcohol. Much better than I thought this would be. I expected something sickeningly sweet like Dogfishs Midas Touch. Instead, its nicely balanced. Its very impressive that they managed to do this considering just how much is packed into this beer. TONS of spicy hops that tingle the tongue with smooth and sweet vanilla and honey flavors underneath it all. LOTS of warming alcohol throughout that adds to the smoothness. Unique.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Immy (1955) - Virginia Beach, USA - AUG 19, 2005
Wow! Smacks you in the head with hops, IMHO. Distinct sweet alcohol finish. Yeasty, flowery undertones in the nose. Pretty good, but more like a novelty beer to me. Watch out, this one will sneak up on you!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
chilehead (186) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - AUG 14, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 2, 2005 Dee-licious! Extremely chewy and over the top. Flavor is grassy, with strong honey and vanilla and the suggestion of orange blossoms. Not unlike a tawny port. Almost a barley wine. I had another last night with elnadeau, not quite as striking this time around, maybe some age will change it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerseer (51) - Lewiston, Maine, USA - AUG 14, 2005
Fine golden color with sizable head. Smells strongly hoppy, with only some of the aroma elbowed out of the way by the permeating alcohol scents. Tastes amazingly like an IPA; some alcohol in finish, but overall smooth and not as overpowering as 21% should be. Standing up and walking to the fridge to get another one is a whole hell of a lot harder than drinking this fine brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
AlexDonovan (14) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - AUG 14, 2005
Rediculously balanced for a 20% IPA. Actually, not all that hoppy. One of the rare IPAs where they didnt need malt to balance out the hops, but vice versa instead! I loved it, and so did the half dozen or so I shared it with. (What? It was a 750ml, Im not insane!). Glad I didnt try to down it myself or I may not be writing this today. Wish I had cellared it a lot longer, but patience is a virtue, and apparently Im none too virtuous.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Frosty (2) - Murray, Kentucky, USA - AUG 12, 2005 does not count
WOW! Yeah, its strong, but its not too strong where the alcohol takes away from the flavor. Pours amber/golden with an offwhite head. Have a couple of theses and you are set for the night!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Tejas (1005) - Dallas, Texas, USA - AUG 11, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 13, 2009 Rerate. Draught > Flying Saucer. Just had to rerate. Nose from the snifter just says this is a SOB. This taste completely different on draught and is totally delicious. No alcohol flavor. Tons of cherry flavor is what I get. Great balance b/c of the sturdy sweet backbone. Creamy palate. VERY VERY easy drinker, which is almost a bad thing b/c it goes down so nice. Bottle >> Nice hoppy aroma w/ a little alcohol in the nose too. Amber color w/ a little white head that surprisingly lasted longer than I thought it would. Big piney flavors. Chewy & sticky on the tongue & teeth. This one was far better when it was cold right out of the fridge. As it warmed up the alcohol became more noticeable & overpowered the hops. I can appreciate the attempt at a big fing IIPA but this one just goes to close to the Listerine level.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Doppelganger (1388) - Dry County, Arkansas, USA - AUG 10, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2005 This is a paradoxical beer on so many levels. I dont understand how a 20% ABV beer could be this pretty, but it is. A big creamy layer of golden head, settling in viscous lacing. Bright copper body. Aroma is not really anything I can compare to in the beer world. More like if they were to make some intensely concentrated hop soap. Piney, resiny, grapefruit rind, honey...and kind of a post-thunderstorm clean. Before I can start to register the flavors, I am aware of how thick this feels in my mouth! Even the hairiest of Imperial Stouts Ive tasted so far dont come close. Do I chew before I swallow? If not, will it get stuck in my throat? The predominant flavor I get is a very delicious orange marmalade. Sipped gently, the alcohol is very nice, like the vapors of sipping cognac. After a few sips, I am aware of how fantastic the balance is in this beer. Something this heavily hopped could have been horribly astringent and unpalatably bitter. And something this strong could have been syrupy sweet and cloying. But it is neither. It is a taut line of bitter, sweet, and alcohol. This greatly exceeds my expectations.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
alaskanwarren (286) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 10, 2005
What an unexpected beer! Pours orange with thick white head. Intoxicating aroma of fall leaves, damp cloth and spicy hops, malt, hints of northwestern hops. I also notice some of the floral effects of the yeast. Some banana is noticeable. Taste is sweet, like mead or geuze. Not what I expected from an IPA. Lots of honey and tart fruit. Further tastes reveal hints of raspberry, some citrus hops, and more honey. Aftertaste is like honey-covered sour cherries. Medium to light mouthfeel with tiny bubbles. Quite a special beer. Though it calls itself an IPA on the bottle, Im glad it is categorized here as a strong ale. I wouldnt know where else to put it. Calling it the Holy Grail for hopheads is a bit much, as I dont get any hopforwardness on this.