overall

RATINGS: 2445   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 495   ABV: 16.5%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45°P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBU’s, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

Saarlander (1920) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - SEP 9, 2005
My sample was pretty mellow, from 2004. It actually didn’t have a hop dominance that I was expecting, but the flavor was wonderful! Actually a bit of an anis flavor with vanilla, also a bit grassy. I don’t think I will get an older sample anytime soon, but I’d like to do a vertical of this one! Great beer

sleepingbear (27) - Lake Leelanau - Detroit, Michigan, USA - SEP 8, 2005
I guess I really wanted to like this beer because a twelve ounce cost ten dollars. Once opened and consumed I guess I was pleased maybe it went over my head? It was fabulous, don’t get me wrong. It was the Hop Monster that it claims to be. Having a great smooth and lively body laden with loads of flavors that lingered on and on. Excellent, but not something I can drink easily. *So filling that It also would make an excellent loaf of bread should you pour it into a bread tin and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 45 mins. ;-]

TheEnemy (564) - Chicago, USA - SEP 5, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 7, 2005 From a 12-oz bottle purchased at The Sharp Edge, Pittsburgh (East Liberty location) PA
Massive alcohol aroma; also huge notes of dried fruit -- raisin, dried apple, citrus, etc. Almost smells like it would be great on breakfast panakes. (Probably would be, but I don’t want to waste a bottle to find out.) Nice amber orange color, slightly cloudy. Little if any head forms on pour and carbonation is slight. Flavor is packed with intense floral & bitter hop. Lots of slightly tart fruitiness and huge complex highly sweet malt mitigates the hop bitterness to save the beer from simply tasting like hop extract. Even as these massive flavors stage a riot on the tongue, they can’t disguise the high alcohol content, which gently warms the mouth and esophagus on the way down. Does not taste like an IPA at all -- at least one prior reviewer suggests it might be more appropriately classified as a barleywine, and I concur. Points knocked off for not being to style. Too bad -- this is an excellent concoction otherwise. Very thick almost syrupy palate. No beer that is 20% ABV has any business going down as smoothly as this stuff does. One of my all-time favorites.

mikie681 (4) - USA - SEP 2, 2005 does not count
Amber pour with a very hoppy aroma. Very smooth for its strength, though. Orangey taste with pleasant sweet aftertaste.

lamas (1655) - Washington DC, USA - AUG 19, 2005
Bottle. I think it’s from 2004. A clear, honey/amber pour with a smallish light-tan head that leaves delicate webbed lacing. Aroma is of spicy hops, caramel, vanilla and alcohol. Much better than I thought this would be. I expected something sickeningly sweet like Dogfish’s Midas Touch. Instead, it’s nicely balanced. It’s very impressive that they managed to do this considering just how much is packed into this beer. TONS of spicy hops that tingle the tongue with smooth and sweet vanilla and honey flavors underneath it all. LOTS of warming alcohol throughout that adds to the smoothness. Unique.

Immy (1958) - Virginia Beach, USA - AUG 19, 2005
Wow! Smacks you in the head with hops, IMHO. Distinct sweet alcohol finish. Yeasty, flowery undertones in the nose. Pretty good, but more like a novelty beer to me. Watch out, this one will sneak up on you!

chilehead (186) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - AUG 14, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 2, 2005 Dee-licious! Extremely chewy and over the top. Flavor is grassy, with strong honey and vanilla and the suggestion of orange blossoms. Not unlike a tawny port. Almost a barley wine. I had another last night with elnadeau, not quite as striking this time around, maybe some age will change it.

beerseer (51) - Lewiston, Maine, USA - AUG 14, 2005
Fine golden color with sizable head. Smells strongly hoppy, with only some of the aroma elbowed out of the way by the permeating alcohol scents. Tastes amazingly like an IPA; some alcohol in finish, but overall smooth and not as overpowering as 21% should be. Standing up and walking to the fridge to get another one is a whole hell of a lot harder than drinking this fine brew.

AlexDonovan (14) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - AUG 14, 2005
Rediculously balanced for a 20% IPA. Actually, not all that hoppy. One of the rare IPAs where they didn’t need malt to balance out the hops, but vice versa instead! I loved it, and so did the half dozen or so I shared it with. (What? It was a 750ml, I’m not insane!). Glad I didn’t try to down it myself or I may not be writing this today. Wish I had cellared it a lot longer, but patience is a virtue, and apparently I’m none too virtuous.

Frosty (2) - Murray, Kentucky, USA - AUG 12, 2005 does not count
WOW! Yeah, it’s strong, but it’s not too strong where the alcohol takes away from the flavor. Pours amber/golden with an offwhite head. Have a couple of theses and you are set for the night!