overall

RATINGS: 2452   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 495   ABV: 16.5%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45°P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBU’s, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

bfeldmann (1050) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - JUL 12, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 17, 2006 "Was disappointed in this one. Normally like DFH. This one poured a couldy yellow with almost no head. Beer was way to sweet could taste the malts and wasn’t till all the beer was out of my mouth that i got a hoppy taste and it was a weak one at that. Mouthfeel was very thick. Overall not great. And not worth the $$ at all."

kmeves (1098) - Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 10, 2005
Very thick, deep amber hue. Nice frothy grey head. Remarkably does not have a strong alcohol taste. I love IPA’s which is why I bought this one. I’ll stick with the 90 minute.

fluids (364) - Massachusetts, USA - JUL 10, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 4, 2005 Hoppy, almost no head when poured. I nice deep golden hazey color. Surprisingly sweet like honey. The bitterness balances the sweetness and the alchohol is well hidden. This is way more a Barley wine then an IPA. A masterpiece! I have already had 7 of these.

redlight (2325) - Orlando, Florida, USA - JUL 10, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 10, 2007 re-rate. Huge hop nose, pine, grass, molasses, citrus; grapefruit. Pours a rich amber almost a light brown color with a dense white head that dissipates slowly. Huge malt backbone to balance the outragous hop flavor. Pine resin, big citrus hop flavor, with large amounts of caramel and molasses with brown sugar, sweet bread. And an enormous alcohol presence, 21% is hard to hide, it does well though. Surprisingly easy to drink for the hops and alcohol. Actually this beer is pretty well balanced, for the IBU’s and ABV...................O.G. rating. Hoppy grassy aroma. Pale golden color. Sweet yet hoppy. A bit acidic. Kind of earthy. Thick tasting. I love hops and the 120 does me right.

Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - JUL 5, 2005
’03 12 oz bottle. This is the sweetest IPA I’ve ever had. So sweet that the hops play second fiddle to the malt. I do love the flowery hops. The sweetness has a cider taste. This is a barleywine in my book. I split the bottle with my brother and 6 ounces was plenty for the night.

jimstrassburg (57) - Germantown, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 2, 2005
Me likey IPA’s. Me likey Dogfish head. I’ve had the 60 minute already. This one is better. Looking forward to the 90 but I don’t think it will top this. Very nice orange-amber color. Very hoppy nose with citrus hops dominant. Palate is bright and crisp with a bitter aftertaste. Delicious. yum

madmacs (2) - Lanesborough, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 30, 2005 does not count
Hop"oh" lish us!!!!!! Need i say more? If you are a Hop freak like I am...This is your beer! Find it! Savor it! Love it! Be the Beer! ...the power of the RIFF compells me!

willblake (2664) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - JUN 30, 2005
06.30.05 12oz bottle, 2004. Mostly clear amber pour with a fine and rising tan head that seems to want to escape the glass. Lacing is immediate, sheeting, and marshmallow sticky. Aroma is hot, as you’d have to expect. Deep layers of madly sweet aromas: melting grapefruit marmalade, orange jello, ambrosia, and brain numbing booze. The flavors are huge, abusive, angry. Heaps of citric and floral hops, resinous as a forest yet draped in honey. The palate would be screaming in pain if not for a gloriously thick body, oily, soothing, a salve against the liquor working the enamel off my teeth. Wow. 120 is always a fun ride.

fly (1487) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - JUN 28, 2005
Yet another in the multitude of "thought I already entered this" ratings .. Have had in 750 and more recently in 12oz. The 750 was particularly syrupy sweet and for each I wind up near amazed that those two hours worth of hops remain mostly hidden beneath the enormity of the malt. Perhaps this could be considered a spicy desert beer. Waiting to sample more and elaborate, but the ding dang distributor here is so freaking conservative that they’ve let the stock in town run dry and there’s no telling when more will arrive.

SpringsLicker (3685) - Tennessee, USA - JUN 28, 2005
This poured a hazy medium amber with a thin off-white head. In the aroma are strong caramel notes and lots of alcohol. The flavor is dominated by an overall sticky sweetness. Although this ventures well into barleywine territory, the bitterness is masked by the sweetness unlike a barleywine. A good warming sipper, but many will find this too sweet and sticky.