overall

RATINGS: 2585   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 495   ABV: 16.5%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45°P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBU’s, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

Mads Langtved (2243) - Copenhagen K, DENMARK - JAN 12, 2005
Orange beer. No head. Quite sweet. Not bitter, ecause the sweetness dominates too much. Could be balanvced better. Slightly metallic finish. Funny experiment.

jondr72 (11) - Wyckoff, New Jersey, USA - JAN 11, 2005
Delicious, strong not a big head, hoppy definaelty gets one drunk, one bottle is all you need not as good as the cask 120 I had

Lizabeth (360) - east falmouth, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 8, 2005
Dark orange with a small cream-colored head. Strong citrus and piney hop aromas. Flavor is mostly bitter hops, with grapefruit and lemon dominating, overlaid on a rich caramel malt base. Mouthfeel is smooth and somewhat oily, and the finish is lingering, astringent and bitter. The 20% ABV does little more than provide a pleasantly warming alcohol burn. Not my favorite style, but I did enjoy this beer.

mrhooha (4) - Austin, Texas, USA - JAN 3, 2005 does not count
Wow, I really liked this beer. Cloudy copper color, very small off-white head, didn’t last long. Nose is slightly floral, but the smell isn’t overpowering. Surprisingly sweet flavor in the beginning balances out the hops nicely. I expected a bigger hop flavor, but I think what its got is really perfect. Sticky on my lips, nice thick mouthfeel, like sweet crude. Alcohol is present, but not overpowering like in some other beers I’ve tried with less alcohol.

IMtheOptimator (1170) - Brookfield, Connecticut, USA - JAN 3, 2005
Poured a clear amber with a creamy white head that left thick parallel lacing on the glass. Clean hop aroma with candy undertones. Taste is abrasive hops with a sticky sweet malt backbone. The alcohol is prevalent (of course) but contributes to the flavor nicely. In my humble opinion, a very underrated beer. Perhaps some people can’t take the kick on this one...

Uriel (146) - San Jose, California, USA - JAN 2, 2005
Gorgeous amber color with a slightly foamy head. Shockingly malty sweet nose with fruity and caramel-like notes. Low carbonation, with a sticky body - this one warms nicely on the way down. The very first hit is hoppy, then the rest of the swallow is smooth and sweet, almost like a trippel. MMM.

jasonp (1581) - Ashburn, Virginia, USA - DEC 31, 2004
Beatiful clear amber with an off-white head. Nose is surprisingly more malty than hoppy with sweet fruits. Tastes like an IPA-inspired barleywine; has notes of grapefruit/citrus and obviously plenty of hops. Sticky, syrupy sweet. I found the flavor to be stronger on the side of the toasty malt, dark fruit and caramel. Has a very warming alcohol presence but the alcohol is not overpowering. Actually, I can’t believe this is 20% alcohol. Bitter, toasty aftertaste but not nearly as bitter as you would expect given the amount of hops used to make this brew. Very full, round and smooth on the palate with subtle carbonation. This one is a sipper for sure. Overall, nice brew.

MillStreetMan (152) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 30, 2004
Well, after all the patient waiting to rest my lips upon the 120 Minute, I was... disappointed. It’s a very good beer by any lights, but it buckled under the weight of its ambitions, I think. If I’m drinking a beer, I like it to maintain a modicum of being a beer, but the 21% made it taste more like a liqour. Having said that, it was still a more than acceptable brew. Not surprisingly, it is quite hoppy, but this is tempered by the sweetness (likely needed to jack it up to such high alcohol levels). This strains to stay within the confines allocated to IPAs, quite frankly. If a true IPA is desired, stick to Dogfish Head’s 90 Minute IPA.

rudolf (2360) - Buffalo, New York, USA - DEC 29, 2004
This is something like how I remember the 90 being like when it came in 750s. Gold with next to no head. Qwak is groaning. Nose is sweet malt, alcohol & hops. Dark fruits/barleywiney supermaltbomb. Are you sure this isn’t a barleywine? Rich malt, rasin, swet grapefruit. Smooth body. Wow.

redmosquito (172) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - DEC 28, 2004
Well, I do consider myself a hophead so let’s see. It pours a cloudy copper color with a decent head out of the 12oz bottle. The aroma is definately hops, overpowering any malt and even that 21% alcohol. My first guess is a citrusy centennial or amarillo hop, but as I let it sit my nose tells me piney northern brewer, or possibly chinook. The flavor is surprisingly harsh, with the hop flavor being somewhat grassy and medicinal. There just doesn’t seem to be enough malt flavor to balance the hops. I am impressed at the subdued nature of the alcohol. My palate seems a little sore from the harshness. Overall, I like what they are doing, and the idea, and the product delivers in the aroma, but I was disappointed with the overall product.