overall

RATINGS: 2452   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 495   ABV: 16.5%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45°P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBU’s, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - MAR 12, 2005
Aroma is like apricot liquer. This is a very sweet beer, actually less apparent bitterness than expected. More apricot in the flavor--apricot pancake syrup? I got some solvent-like flavors exuding from the surface. I admire the effort here but don’t like the result.

aspidites (1271) - manteca, California, USA - MAR 12, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 25, 2008 What the hell is this crap. If i wanted liquid sugar I would drink soda. Way to much sweetness very cloying. way underattenuated. Almost artificial sweetness. Sticky sugary mouthfeel. Very little hop nose by comparison. Bitterness is killded by the sugar. Cloying finish with only a hint of almost extract bitterness.

rederic (3344) - montréal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 10, 2005
Orange-amber hue, with a light foamy head. Sweet fruity nose of apricots,oranges and even grand marnier liquor and a floral hop aromas, follow through a sweet medium-bodied palate with candied oranges, marmalade, apricot flavors, a bit liquorish, where the alcoholic warmth is ticking my nostrils leading to a light hop bitterness finish.

verymerrymonk (413) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAR 8, 2005
Bottled 2004. Pours a deep orange with a very small head that rapidly dissipates, although a few small bubbles cling to the side of the glass throughout. Aroma is of sweet fruit and alcohol. The flavor was grapefruit and hops, combined in a very syrupy setting, along with a big alcohol burn. Overall, I thought the hops were a bit subdued, but I soon realized they were actually overpowered by the other things going on here. I’m slightly conflicted, but satisfied.

Ray1975 (251) - Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA - MAR 8, 2005
For the alcohol content this was an easily drinkable beer. The aroma was of hops, hops and more hops. The flavor of course very heavy on the hops but there was a sweetness to off set the very hoppy flavor with a bit of an alcohol addition. The hops and sweetness did a good job of hiding the 20% alcohol on this one. Don’t get me wrong it was very strong tasting but not more so than some barley wines out there with half the alcohol content. I will definitely be on the lookout for more of this..

beerhandy (195) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - MAR 7, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 29, 2007 I was scared of this beer , I thought it is going to be way to hoppy to enjoy.I was shocked at the sweetness of this beer Cloyingly sweet and I liked it! It really balanced the bitterness and I got through it easily.I t was like a crazy american hopped dessert wine ,very cutting edge I am going for two next time I meet this Ale.DFH has hit a home run with this beer

Dogfish120 (143) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - MAR 5, 2005
I love strong beer so this was for me.....and IPA’s are a fav. Love the rich thick mouthfeel combined with the fruity sweetness and alchohol kick.....who couldn’t want more? Def worth the price.

FROTHINGSLOSH (8267) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 25, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 18, 2017 This beer has become a shell of it's former glory. I've had it many times over the years. It used to be one of my only 5.0 ratings. ++++ Sampled on draft this beer poured a murky bronze caramel color with a medium sized foamy orange-tan head that lingered and left very good lacing. The aroma was sweet, tangy and fruity with perfume, herbal hops and booziness. The flavor is an intensely boozy mess of grain alcohol, fruity hops and herbal hops. Long finish. Moderately full bodied. No longer worthy of it's reputation.

Maxamillion (103) - Glendora, California, USA - FEB 22, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 11, 2005 alcohol!! thats what this beer is about. Really hoppy. its kinda a kick in the face. Taste good at first but is just too strong for me. dont like after taste either. If your looking to get tons of kick in a small bottle this is for you! way to expensive though for 9 bucks a bottle.

MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - FEB 13, 2005
12 oz bottle pours a hazy orange copper with a small off white head that leaves some lacing in my glass, funny pine aroma like a mix of Pine-Sol cleaner and Off insect repellent. Super sweet orange, maple syrup and alcohol flavors. Full bodied with a thick sticky syrupy mouthfeel, finishes with a lingering sweetness. A 12 oz bottle is too much for me, after only a few sips I am done...way too sweet, hard to dump such an expensive beer but I have no choice.