overall

RATINGS: 2584   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 495   ABV: 16.5%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45°P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBU’s, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

Foxbush (2028) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - DEC 27, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2009 This was a Christmas gift. I normally love IPAs, but this was out of my league at this stage. This IPA poured with little head and deep copper in color. I like balance, but this was too strong from the get go. I like IPAs but not 120 Minute IPA. As my taste and experience grow I will try again.

cfranz (261) - Acton, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 20, 2004
Let me just say, this is the first time I paid ten dollars for a twelve-ounce bottle of beer. But it was quite worth trying. The bottle we tried was brewed in 2004; I don’t know if I have the patience to age it for a decade, as the label suggests. It was quite tasty. Its texture was smooth and silky; it slipped on the tongue like Drambuie. It was quite sweet and packed a wallop. The overabundance of hops might have been overwhelmed by the sweetness or alcohol content. This is the brandy of beer.

MullMan (1099) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - DEC 13, 2004
clear glossy amber color, almost no head - thin, off-white and rapidly diminishing. ephemeral lacing too. alcohol, hop liqueur, malty aroma and flavor. cloying. too sweet and to high abv for me. light but sparkly carbonation. cloying, alcohol hop finish.

JoeMcPhee (9426) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 11, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2009 Deep orange colour with a brandy-like, almost still appearance. Sweet vineous malt character, ice wine aroma, cookie dough and toffee malts. Some berry fruitiness. Flavour is very sweet showing toffee, caramel, white grapes with a light white pepper spiciness in the finish. Very sticky and chewy.

donvitozou (141) - memphis, Tennessee, USA - DEC 5, 2004
wow, really heavy. a nice golden color that hides the strength. the ipa is so thick that it reminded me of german malt beers. the tastes seem to be a mix of dessert wines and a bland ipa. there are hints of grape apple and apricot. while very alcoholic, it does not taste like a 20% beverage

Loddeer (171) - USA - DEC 4, 2004
This one is an absolute devil! I had no clue that this one packed such an enormous punch, it hides the alcohol content extremely well. This was insane. The flavor was an assortment of hops, with grape / wine flavored body, and a powerful aftertaste of fruit infused with whole leaf hop. Simply a dynamite combination of flavors and attribute makes this one a keeper. I can definitely see how this can age well, it’s like fine wine. I should probably buy a case and let it sit around for years, enjoying it well into the future. Extremely recommended.

jmuhops (669) - Winchester, Virginia, USA - DEC 3, 2004
Pours beautifully--deep amber with a medium bright white head. Lots of bubbling going on. Nice IPA aroma of citrusy hops, surprisingly no alcohol. Flavor is much sweeter than I had expected--almost feels like a barley wine until the hops hit you in the back of the throat. The alcohol somewhat overpowers what would otherwise be near-perfect flavor--I almost had to chase this thing with an imperial stout--but the 20% becomes less noticeable as the beer progresses. I think it goes without saying that this is not a very drinkable beer. Still, pretty darn good.

HopsformyHips (113) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - NOV 30, 2004
Wow, lots of strong opinions on this beer...because it is a beer to be reckoned with for certain.. Let’s start with the first impression... A small head tops this golden orange pour...Great citrusy hops evolve from the tiny head...then a floral hoppy aroma tags behind...and the final wave of the complex aroma is the smooth malt that tries to real in the wild hops... ...my tounge was then met with this very sweet yet spicy concoction of montounaous monstrous malts and humungus herculean hops... these two amazing strengths of flavors balance each other, but to an awfully intense level... the high alcohol content is very well masked Palate has a creamy a very good mouthfeel...This certainly is not for the faint of heart...I like strong flavors and lots going on in the aroma and taste so this one went over fairly well with me....still I would choose their 90 min IPA over this one.

DragonStout (1416) - Groveport, Ohio, USA - NOV 30, 2004
Wow!Smells of dirt and hops.I knew that i now have to try it.Full flavor of hops overload.This is one heck of a beer.At first the alcohol was hidden and then wham it crept up on you.You must respect this beer and its brewers.Next time i drink this delicious brew I will bow before it.Dogfish HEad does it right again.MAybe they need to give lessons to their friends in Boston on how to brew high octane beer.

crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - NOV 30, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 17, 2008 Pours amber, no head. Almost wine like the alcohol is completely here. Nothing but hops with a sweet barleywine like taste and a cringing amount of alcohol. It is what it is.