overall

RATINGS: 2456   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   IBU: 120   EST. CALORIES: 495   ABV: 16.5%
Too extreme to be called beer? Brewed to a colossal 45°P, boiled for a full 2 hours while being continually hopped with high alpha American hops, dry-hopped every day in the fermenter for a month, and aged for a month on whole leaf hops, 120 Minute IPA is by far the strongest IPA ever brewed. And at 21% ABV and 120 IBU’s, you can see why we are calling this the Holy Grail for Hopheads. Editors note: ABV reduced down to 18% in 2009.

badwhale's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
badwhale (420) - Bitterville, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 29, 2009
Some of us split a case, and I ended up with a 3 pack. Very good, and very unique. This case had over a year on it, and the hops had mellowed. They wern’t bitter anymore, it was more of a citrus cider like flavor. The mouth feel was very very thick, and of course, one bottle packs a whollop. Excellent beer that I wouldn’t mind having another 6 pack of.

mscleare (0) - - FEB 23, 2018 does not count
UPDATED: FEB 24, 2018 This is one of the Holy Grails of IPA. Nearly a unicorn for those of us in Texas, although getting a bit easier to find. For a 120 IBU, it’s very smooth. Creamy? Fruity? Rich, for sure. It is something which needs to be sipped, although as this beer gets warmer, it’s get more syrupy. At ~18%, it is strong but only at the after taste. This is a beer to try, one to save, and one to savor.

fletchfighters (1623) - AUSTRALIA - FEB 17, 2018
355ML bottle Dark caramel orange color. Thin off white collar. Does last a long time. Leaves a thin off white ring on the sides of the glass. Big slow AVB legs. Holds carbonation well Nose is caramel, booze, grapefruit, pine, boiled peaches, and peach jam. really warming. Taste is caramel, peach preserves, grapefruit, pine, oak, earth, and booze. Holds the booze very well. Feel is, big, duh. Syrupy, oily, slightly sweet but holds its own well. Does have a lot of alcohol but is drinkable. Very dry oily finish. slow sipper. Have not had in a log time but for what it is it is excellent and unique

k0mpsa (3235) - Tuusula, FINLAND - FEB 1, 2018
Tap at barcade, new york. Hazy amber color, white head. Aroma has sweet malts, hops, oak notes, some tropical fruity notes. Huge body, hint of alcohol, hops, some caramel notes. Its huge but not bad.

brewjeria (10) - San Antonio, - JAN 20, 2018
I scored a bottle of it at The Flying Saucer for my birthday. Judging by the hue of it and being a highly sought after IPA, it looked like all booze and I was correct. There is little to no noticeable head. It is not even hoppy. The taste is heavy, you can't slog this one down. But rather is a slow burn. Where the hoppy sensibilities of your typical ipa fails it it's booziness works. From start to finish it was amazing and lived up to all its mythical hype for me. You either will love it or hate it, there's no in between. And I like it that way.

kramer (6991) - Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 16, 2018
Pours a mostly clear ark amber body with a small fizzy beige head that faded to a thin film. The nose is very resiny and piney with a heavy caramel maltiness and a little alcohol. The flavor is very boozy and a lot more bitter than I was expecting. I remember this being much sweeter the last time that I had this. An intense resiny and piney hoppiness up front, fading to a very hot and boozy alcoholic finish. There’s plenty of caramel malt in here as well, but the boozy alcohol keeps it from being overly sweet. Full bodied, chewy, and clingy with fizzy carbonation. I didn’t remember especially liking this beer before, but I feel like I liked more than this. Maybe this really does need some extended aging. This bottle is somewhere in the neighborhood of a year old. Wouldn’t give this another go at this age, though I’m unlikely to buy more of this in the first place. 3/7/6/3/12

randy1969 (144) - Marengo, Illinois, USA - JAN 7, 2018
UPDATED: JAN 13, 2018 Very strong alcohol aroma overpowers the hints of citrus hops. This beer pours a cloudy amber with a minimal head. It's a sweet taste, there's dark fruit and some citrus. Thick, creamy texture with a full body. I was expecting more

TomTron (464) - South Carolina, USA - DEC 25, 2017
UPDATED: DEC 25, 2017 For there is no folly of the beast of the earth which is not infinitely outdone by the madness of men.

ramstein2611 (40) - Florida, USA - DEC 20, 2017
Pours a nice amber color with a very sweet hoppy citrus smell. Minimal head. The taste is hoppy upfront but sweet almost like pineapple, the finish is crisp with a slight lingering hop note. Overall a very good IPA that I’d get again ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

bpreo (3043) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - DEC 10, 2017
This one weighed in at 18.5-21% alcohol. Tasted like it, and that's why I love it. Sampled at Reefpoint Brew House, Racine, Wis..

cwill (112) - Parkesburg, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 9, 2017
Thick murky amber pour with a thin head that disappeared quickly. Smells delicious, with aromas of hops and fresh dough. Tastes surprisingly sweet with white grapes and orange liquor; a little hoppy, grapefruit bitterness to balance it out. Nice alcohol burn as it goes down but not what you would expect from such a high ABV. Almost like a 90 minute with extra kick. Viscous mouthfeel; probably the thickest beer I've tasted with little carbonation. Really good beer and more docile than I expected. Still only drinking one though. I'd put it there with Samichlaus as one of the more unique beers I have tasted.