overall

RATINGS: 4612   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Quixote18 (236) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - SEP 1, 2006
Bottled. I had to be patient with the aroma on this one because I opened it too cold. Patience paid off, however, with a wonderful boquet of hops (mostly floral, but some others thrown in too). I tasted a lot more of the citrusy hops in the flavor than I got in the aroma. I liked that this tasted generously bittered, but was not uber-aggressive. It was well balanced. You can tell that this is a "big" beer, but it isnt throat- scorching like some other 9% beers. This is one of the few DIPAs that I will get again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
drfabulous (7216) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - AUG 30, 2006
Absolutely one of my favorite beers. At Zenos in State College, we get it on tap. Super nice hops. Rich taste. Brilliant.

unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - AUG 26, 2006
Ive wanted to try this brew for a long time, but every time I went to find it, the store(s) were out! I finally snagged a 4-pack, and I have to say right away that I was not disappointed! It pours a distinctive copper color, with a huge foamy, offwhite head! The aroma is immediately sweet, malty, but not as hoppy as I expected. The taste is the same, but with an emphasis on bitterness and malt, with a lingering, sugary, candy-like finish! As I said, there is a lot of malt in this one, and obviously a lot of hops, but not the "grapefruit" taste that I expected. Its sweeter, with some notes of caramel, candy, and fruit. The body is a little oily and sticky, and very fitting for this brew. I dont notice the alcohol much in this one, not like some others have said. Overall, this is definitely one of the best Imperial IPAs Ive tried, and a great introduction to Dogfish Head!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
IrishBoy (4156) - Bakersfield, California, USA - AUG 26, 2006
Bottle from my baby boy Chris (Enniskillen); Really nice hoppy nose, not as good as Hopsicle, but better than Dreadnaught; Copper-gold with a small, longlasting yellow head; hops mixed with citrusy-caramel flavor, along with some alcohol showing up.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Quillaraymi (89) - USA - AUG 26, 2006
I totally lovef this beer, one of my favorites form Dogfish, I wish a I had more than one bottle to share with Matthew. It has become one of my favorites!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
punkska101 (1894) - Chambly, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 25, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 15, 2010 Shared with Seb. Complex and full. Massive flavor and impressive malt backbone. Nice blend. Malt: caramel, toast Hops: citrus, grapefruit Other: alcohol Color: amber Liquid: clear Head: minimal Initial: medium bitterness Finish: light sourness, heavy bitterness Finish Duration: average Body: full Carbonation: soft Finish: bitter

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
WeeHeavySD (3383) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 25, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 18, 2008 I love this ale it is one of my favorite imperial IPA, Ive had it in bottle and draft many times, both at the brew house in Gaithersburg Maryland. This beer is fantastically complex sweet and potent. I cannot find a flaw in this robust beautifully produced and always fun to consume brew. If you have the opportunity to try this beer, do it. It is refreshing and drinkable and goes down smooth.

buckybeer (666) - Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 24, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 6, 2007 Pours a medium amber copperish color with a nice sized head. Aroma is Pine, hops, grapefruit. Big hop, pine and malt flavor. Alcohol is barely noticable. Very full mouthfeel. Rich and sticky to the palate. A great overall IMPY IPA.

lalubeer (57) - CANADA - AUG 24, 2006
I preferred the 60 minutes. There are more alcohol taste in the 90 minutes that hide a little bit the taste of fruits.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
PHXHOPLOVER (50) - LAVEEN, Arizona, USA - AUG 24, 2006
12 oz bottle pours light copper with a nice offwhite long lasting head (given alcohol content.) Bittering hops perfect with just enough malt sweetness to balance. Hop flavor and aroma is extreme, but not too bitter. Usually after an imperial ipa, i want something a little lighter to follow, but not this. I could drink this all night! One of my favorites!!