overall

RATINGS: 4650   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

zebracakes (1339) - Washington DC, USA - SEP 9, 2006
Bottle. Pours hazy gold, white head. Aroma is fruity, hoppy, and malty. Flavor is fruity, malty, hoppy. Nice apricot finish.

drmatt (51) - THE LOU, Missouri, USA - SEP 8, 2006
i canít lie this is one of my favorites. nice amber color, clear in the glass. smells of grapefruit and heaven. great hoppiness with a malt backbone to rest upon. i am always angry when i finish my glass of this, there just never seems to be enough.

PilsnerPeter (3045) - Flushing, New York, USA - SEP 8, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 20, 2008 Pours a nice amber with off-white head. Scent is predominantly grapefuit hops with a thick malt background. The flavor is full, with a sweet candy like/almost bakery cookie malt aspect, followed by a huge grapefruit hoppyness, a touch of caramel and a nice dry finish.

TheBeerOrg (2145) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - SEP 7, 2006
Pours bright amber with a thin foamy tan head. Aroma of sweet orange, candied fruits, and mango hoppiness. Taste is exploding hop resins, piney, with sweet fruity caramel. Notes of mellow whiskey, almonds, and oak barrels. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and resinous with lively carbonation. Interesting and tasty.

ganache (5848) - New Jersey, USA - SEP 5, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2014 Bottle. Orange pour, medium-strong carbonation, short white head. Strong citrus and grapefruit nose from all the hopping, hint at medium-strong maltiness. Taste is a smooth wave of strong bitterness blended with lightly crisp hop notes and thick, syrupy dark maltiness, which slightly edges out the hoppiness. Very full-bodied, even obese! Vinous and coating. Molasses, grape, light toasted caramel. Iíd rather label this a malt bomb than a hop monster, and it takes the IPA close to Barley Wine territory. Very dry end and aftertaste with a vivid memory of the malty experience - a decadent sipper, but really nice! [5 Sept 2006: 4.0]

Re-rate bottled on 10/10/13, so not extremely fresh. Nose is strong caramel malt and extremely oily hops, pours very clear orange with an off-white head and moderate carbonation. Nose has this sugar dust thing going on. Very rich in the mouth, sweet without cloy, yet powerful and somewhat alcoholic, firm bitterness, clouded with hops (positives and negative there). I didnít realize this in past sampling, but this is clearly the attempt to imperialize the 60 min, which I originally liked less but now come to favor; this one is so much less repeatable, much more brute force in its solution than elegant. Still, stands up to the pressures of time, and thick enough to stand up to food. [7 Feb 2014: 3.8]

kimcgolf (872) - Dacula, Georgia, USA - SEP 5, 2006
This beer is top of the line, just as I expected. Poured to the expected hazy orange-red color, with thick off-white head that lingered throughout entire glass, and left excellent lacing. Strong aroma of citrusy hops early on, but as beer warmed, the 9% alcohol became mopre evident, and was nicely blended with the bitte hops. A hint of malty sweetness also contributed to leave a great finish. A most excellent beer.

sstackho (249) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 3, 2006
12 oz bottle purchased from Bauer Wines in Boston. Bottled 05/08/06, which I think means May 8 in US logic. (Explain to me again why it goes month/day/year?? Thatís not in order! But I digress...) Pours a light copper with little head and little carbonation. Aroma of sweet sugars and hops. Taste is quite sweet, and the alcohol is noticeable. This reminds me of a barleywine - a style that I generally have not taken well to as they tend to be too sweet for my tastes. The DFH 90 does not have the fullness of flavour and aroma and hops that I enjoyed in the DFH 60. I had such very high hopes for this beer considering its wonderful reviews, but alas, different strokes for different folks (and so and and so on and scooby-dooby-doo...)

SunSkates (47) - Arkansas, USA - SEP 3, 2006
Clear Copper with light frothy head. Potent hop aroma, citrus and floral. Malty sweetness and delicate hop flavor. Kind of spicy. Bitter and fruity. Chewy hop bitterness that lingers. Fantastic.

BeerBaronLS (85) - Grove City, Ohio, USA - SEP 3, 2006
Great study in hops. Packs of powerful punch of 9% and rediculous hops, but still very drinkable with a nice sweet malt. Had it with a slice of artichoke pizza, and might have enjoyed more on its own. I liked it slightly better than the 60, but donít know if its worth the extra price.

Quixote18 (236) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - SEP 1, 2006
Bottled. I had to be patient with the aroma on this one because I opened it too cold. Patience paid off, however, with a wonderful boquet of hops (mostly floral, but some others thrown in too). I tasted a lot more of the citrusy hops in the flavor than I got in the aroma. I liked that this tasted generously bittered, but was not uber-aggressive. It was well balanced. You can tell that this is a "big" beer, but it isnít throat- scorching like some other 9% beers. This is one of the few DIPAs that I will get again.