overall

RATINGS: 4275   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

KAME (161) - California, USA - OCT 1, 2006
This is a great IPA, and I would put it in the DIPA category. Pours a dark amber with a small off-white head and minimal lacing. Very nice floral, citrusy sweet aroma. Honey is definitely present in the aroma. Palate is extremely full and smooth and the flavor is well balanced. Flavors of sweet hops and citrusy fruit, and slight alcohol as the beer warms up. Definitely one of the better DIPA’s out there.

Tyler*Durden (72) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - SEP 30, 2006
Copper coloured beer with gold highlights, it has a generous white head when it pours. A solid IPA, it has the tell-tale hoppy aroma with florals and peach; unmistakable IPA hoppy taste, it is very good, though the 9% alcohol comes through a bit. Overall very good, but I personally prefer the 60 minute version.

mrjaxson (617) - .08 Junction, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 30, 2006
The hops in this puppy are truly overwhelming on first sniff, but surprisingly the first splash on the tastebuds and then the finish are much smoother than any other IPA I’ve tackled. Really worth the extra shekels--when I can find it (at Discount Liquor in Milwaukee, of course).

bitbucket (2166) - Kirkland, Washington, USA - SEP 28, 2006
Bottled. Pours a clear golden amber with a massively lacy, creamy head. Creamy medium body mild carbonation. This beer seems like it has DIPA-level malt, but only IPA-level hops which have a tough time making their way through all that malt. The net result is a tasty beer, but one that seems to be more on the barleywine end of the spectrum than on the Imperial IPA end. The aroma is dominated by pineapple with oranges, nuts and toffee behind it. There’s a big shot of toffee and pineapple in the taste, which stays sweet almost to the end, which has just enough grapefruit to clean things up. Vaguely reminiscent of orange juice with alcohol added, but not like drinking a screwdriver - if that makes any sense at all.

ChazMania (669) - Oceanside, California, USA - SEP 28, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 5, 2011 Bottled. Wow, this is a fanny kicker for certain. I tried the 60 minute a few weeks back, this 90minute is thicker with a chewyness about it. It is slightly sweeter than other DIPA’s I have had, there is a bit of a bananna bubble gum mix with malted hop and maybe some other fruit like flavors. The alcohol is high in this puppy, I can feel it half way through my glass. I wish this Dogfish head was easier to find....I paid big bucks for a 4 pk. Rerated: Originally at 4.1, lowering to 3.5 after 4 years of other great IPA’s, when I drink this now, it tastes like liquid SweetNLow. Recently had a bottle and on tap the other day, just horribly sweet.

mtdshn (173) - Moline, Illinois, USA - SEP 24, 2006
Bottle. Poured a pretty good viscous golden brown with a small head that dissipated to just a white ring and some lacing. Good, thick, heavy malt mouthfeel with some good but slightly subdued hop character. I was expecting this one to be extremely hoppy but it’s actually quite light. However, very filling.

GriffinAvenue (396) - Winchester, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 23, 2006
Bottle. Hazy copper coloring. Hoppier, stronger flavoring than the 60 minute IPA and leaves you with a heavier, higher alcohol delivery to the tongue and back of the throat. Solid, impressive IPA but a little short of too high expectations.

jrdbassman (3) - USA - SEP 23, 2006 does not count
This is one 4 pack I always replace. Very easy on the nose and palate, yet has a nice alcohol kick. I am a newbie, but this brew is me favorite yet...Nice blend of flavors. I recommend this for every fridge!

anothstine (2) - Orlando, Florida, USA - SEP 22, 2006 does not count
An absolutely amazing brew. Very smooth to drink, great palate, very well balanced. My favorite IPA

jeremytoni (3082) - Swedesboro, New Jersey, USA - SEP 22, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2007 If you like hops you will love this beer. The dogfish people love there beer and this is one of there best. Excellent hoppy flavor!!!