overall

RATINGS: 4662   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

sstackho (249) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 3, 2006
12 oz bottle purchased from Bauer Wines in Boston. Bottled 05/08/06, which I think means May 8 in US logic. (Explain to me again why it goes month/day/year?? That’s not in order! But I digress...) Pours a light copper with little head and little carbonation. Aroma of sweet sugars and hops. Taste is quite sweet, and the alcohol is noticeable. This reminds me of a barleywine - a style that I generally have not taken well to as they tend to be too sweet for my tastes. The DFH 90 does not have the fullness of flavour and aroma and hops that I enjoyed in the DFH 60. I had such very high hopes for this beer considering its wonderful reviews, but alas, different strokes for different folks (and so and and so on and scooby-dooby-doo...)

SunSkates (47) - Arkansas, USA - SEP 3, 2006
Clear Copper with light frothy head. Potent hop aroma, citrus and floral. Malty sweetness and delicate hop flavor. Kind of spicy. Bitter and fruity. Chewy hop bitterness that lingers. Fantastic.

BeerBaronLS (85) - Grove City, Ohio, USA - SEP 3, 2006
Great study in hops. Packs of powerful punch of 9% and rediculous hops, but still very drinkable with a nice sweet malt. Had it with a slice of artichoke pizza, and might have enjoyed more on its own. I liked it slightly better than the 60, but don’t know if its worth the extra price.

Quixote18 (236) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - SEP 1, 2006
Bottled. I had to be patient with the aroma on this one because I opened it too cold. Patience paid off, however, with a wonderful boquet of hops (mostly floral, but some others thrown in too). I tasted a lot more of the citrusy hops in the flavor than I got in the aroma. I liked that this tasted generously bittered, but was not uber-aggressive. It was well balanced. You can tell that this is a "big" beer, but it isn’t throat- scorching like some other 9% beers. This is one of the few DIPAs that I will get again.

drfabulous (7950) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - AUG 30, 2006
Absolutely one of my favorite beers. At Zeno’s in State College, we get it on tap. Super nice hops. Rich taste. Brilliant.

unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - AUG 26, 2006
I’ve wanted to try this brew for a long time, but every time I went to find it, the store(s) were out! I finally snagged a 4-pack, and I have to say right away that I was not disappointed! It pours a distinctive copper color, with a huge foamy, offwhite head! The aroma is immediately sweet, malty, but not as hoppy as I expected. The taste is the same, but with an emphasis on bitterness and malt, with a lingering, sugary, candy-like finish! As I said, there is a lot of malt in this one, and obviously a lot of hops, but not the "grapefruit" taste that I expected. It’s sweeter, with some notes of caramel, candy, and fruit. The body is a little oily and sticky, and very fitting for this brew. I don’t notice the alcohol much in this one, not like some others have said. Overall, this is definitely one of the best Imperial IPAs I’ve tried, and a great introduction to Dogfish Head!

IrishBoy (4200) - Bakersfield, California, USA - AUG 26, 2006
Bottle from my baby boy Chris (Enniskillen); Really nice hoppy nose, not as good as Hopsicle, but better than Dreadnaught; Copper-gold with a small, longlasting yellow head; hops mixed with citrusy-caramel flavor, along with some alcohol showing up.

Quillaraymi (89) - USA - AUG 26, 2006
I totally lovef this beer, one of my favorites form Dogfish, I wish a I had more than one bottle to share with Matthew. It has become one of my favorites!

punkska101 (2041) - Chambly, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 25, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 15, 2010 Shared with Seb. Complex and full. Massive flavor and impressive malt backbone. Nice blend. Malt: caramel, toast Hops: citrus, grapefruit Other: alcohol Color: amber Liquid: clear Head: minimal Initial: medium bitterness Finish: light sourness, heavy bitterness Finish Duration: average Body: full Carbonation: soft Finish: bitter

WeeHeavySD (3387) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 25, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 18, 2008 I love this ale it is one of my favorite imperial IPA, I’ve had it in bottle and draft many times, both at the brew house in Gaithersburg Maryland. This beer is fantastically complex sweet and potent. I cannot find a flaw in this robust beautifully produced and always fun to consume brew. If you have the opportunity to try this beer, do it. It is refreshing and drinkable and goes down smooth.