overall

RATINGS: 4257   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

Quillaraymi (89) - USA - AUG 26, 2006
I totally lovef this beer, one of my favorites form Dogfish, I wish a I had more than one bottle to share with Matthew. It has become one of my favorites!

punkska101 (2136) - Chambly, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 25, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 15, 2010 Shared with Seb. Complex and full. Massive flavor and impressive malt backbone. Nice blend. Malt: caramel, toast Hops: citrus, grapefruit Other: alcohol Color: amber Liquid: clear Head: minimal Initial: medium bitterness Finish: light sourness, heavy bitterness Finish Duration: average Body: full Carbonation: soft Finish: bitter

WeeHeavySD (3387) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 25, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 18, 2008 I love this ale it is one of my favorite imperial IPA, I’ve had it in bottle and draft many times, both at the brew house in Gaithersburg Maryland. This beer is fantastically complex sweet and potent. I cannot find a flaw in this robust beautifully produced and always fun to consume brew. If you have the opportunity to try this beer, do it. It is refreshing and drinkable and goes down smooth.

buckybeer (666) - Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 24, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 6, 2007 Pours a medium amber copperish color with a nice sized head. Aroma is Pine, hops, grapefruit. Big hop, pine and malt flavor. Alcohol is barely noticable. Very full mouthfeel. Rich and sticky to the palate. A great overall IMPY IPA.

lalubeer (57) - CANADA - AUG 24, 2006
I preferred the 60 minutes. There are more alcohol taste in the 90 minutes that hide a little bit the taste of fruits.

PHXHOPLOVER (50) - LAVEEN, Arizona, USA - AUG 24, 2006
12 oz bottle pours light copper with a nice offwhite long lasting head (given alcohol content.) Bittering hops perfect with just enough malt sweetness to balance. Hop flavor and aroma is extreme, but not too bitter. Usually after an imperial ipa, i want something a little lighter to follow, but not this. I could drink this all night! One of my favorites!!

schwaiger (90) - Laramie, Wyoming, USA - AUG 22, 2006
12 oz. bottle. Poured a medium amber iwth a large, rocky, off-white head, mostly remaining. Aroma is medium-heavy hops, pine and citrus, some caramel maltiness. Flavor is dominated by heavy alcohol. Very bitter, medium sweet of sugar candy, pronounced malt character comes through even with the hopped up hops. Barley strong in the finish. Some toffee. Lively carbonation, slightly syrupy, full body. I imagine this is what barley wine mixed with an IPA tastes like.

Quevillon (3166) - Boisbriand, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 22, 2006
De HogTownHarry, bouteille de 12 oz (#600). Couleur orange claire avec un collet moyen qui dure. Arome d’houblon assé fort et sucré. Un petit goût d’houblon sucré avec un arrière goût légèrement amère et alcoolisé. Très bon!

nahthan (129) - Oakland, California, USA - AUG 22, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2006 Bottle, obtained in Ashland, OR. Pours clear, almost too clear for the large amount of hops in thie beer (filtered?). Nice head retention, considering the alcohol content. Sweet, malty aroma. Strong, clean alcohol flavor throughout. Awesome clean hop flavor. Decent hop bitterness, but it could use more. More hop aroma would be nice too. It is extremely drinkable for 9%. I’d like to try this on tap, as double IPAs don’t always travel too well. Very good double IPA, but I think the Plinys have spoiled me.

rcmatthews (10) - USA - AUG 20, 2006
Nice grassy aroma from the hops. At first I can definetly taste the barley, which I like. It isn’t immediately overpowered by the hops. The hops are not too bitter, but are definetly prevalent. Slight alcohol warming on the finish. Makes me want to try more IIPAs.