overall

RATINGS: 4635   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Glouglouburp (6103) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 9, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 1, 2006 Slightly clouded golden-orange, large and long lasting white head. Pine tree and fruity nose. Thats one fruity IPA. Tangerines, grapefruit, oranges, etc. Very sweet. Juicy hops. As with too many high abv IPAs, the alcohol kills the hops bitterness. Oily body and medium-soft carbonation. Not my favourite Imperial IPA but nonetheless a beer Id like to have as often as something I shouldnt mention here. On tap at Dieu Du Ciel (special importation).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
CB300 (2) - Middle Village, New York, USA - JUN 8, 2006 does not count
If you like hops this is the one for you. Complex and aromatic with a nice finish.

hoptastic (1) - USA - JUN 7, 2006 does not count
Excellent all around best hopped up IPA Ive ever tried. From the first drink to the last it doesnt loose a thing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jegler (2) - Washington, USA - JUN 7, 2006 does not count
12oz bottle. Pours a dark gold-copper with a thin head. Not sure what I was expecting but it certainly wasnt this type of craftsmanship. Hops and malt work perfectly together giving this a smooth quality that mellows the high alcohol content.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
PatMac (17) - Wakefield, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 7, 2006
Heard this was great. I thought it was bitter with too much of a hop flavor. It has a nice aroma and looks great in the glass, but tastes like there is a shot of vodka in there with a bush of hops. Paid $9 for 4 pack at Kappys and still have 2 in the frig. They wont stay in there forever, even bad beer is still pretty good.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
FridgRaider (108) - Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 7, 2006
not to sure if these double IPAs are for me. just something a miss with them. to much hops, not enough i dont know not my type of beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
antzman (316) - Clarksville, Indiana, USA - JUN 4, 2006
Bottle. Pours a dark gold with a full white head. Excellent lacing on the glass. The aroma is full of citrus, pine, and floral notes. The taste is amazing. I was worried with the dry hopping that I would be overwhelmed with hops, but this beer has excellent balance. Dont get me wrong, my palate was blasted with hops by the time I was done, but this beer is very well put together. Excellent IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
JJClark (551) - Roscoe, Illinois, USA - JUN 4, 2006
Bottle dated 2/10/06. Pours a copper color with a light tan head. Citrus aroma and a sweet hoppy taste. Medium body with good slightly bitter finish. Great IPA!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
timtheenchanta (70) - Clemson, South Carolina, USA - JUN 4, 2006
Dark golden color. Thick head with slight retention. Loads of lacing all the way down the glass. Smell is all HOP OIL! Also some leafy hops follow with a smooth malt balance. Good spicy hop flavor. Really thick yet smooth feel. Easy to drink. I wish I could get enough of this to drink it all night. Thanks to Mike Brawley for carrying this gem!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
eaglefan538 (3042) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - JUN 2, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 6, 2007 Re-rate, 7/07, after many experiences over the course of my consumption: Pours an amber to almost copper color, nice initial head for a beer of this ABV. Retention was weak, but lacing ok. The aroma was grapefruits, melons, other fruits, firm caramel and sweet malts. The flavor followed suit, definite bitterness, lots of citrus and grapefruit, touch of melons, yet balanced by a deceptively thinner than thick or sticky, yet flavorful malt presence. Odd that this thing never is sticky, nor is it hot, yet nicely malted and bittered overall. One of my favs among dIPAs. Great stuff, DFH. Original ratings: Ok, with each IPA I have, I become less and less overwhelmed by the hoppiness. I was bracing for the worst on this one, but it didnt overwhelm my tongue with hop happiness. Strong head (long lasting too) with a standard copper yellow appearance (great lacing). Nice piney and floral type taste over top of a decent malty base. Grapefruits were detectable, which is not surprising for the style. Carbonation bubbles rising to the top of the glass would made this a nice show in a heffeweizen glass (Bottle was as good, if not better, than the tap.) Re-rate: No detailed updates, but Ive had this many times, and its a fine dIPA.