overall

RATINGS: 4249   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

undsioux7 (872) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - JUN 23, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 30, 2006 If you like sweet, then this is for you. Not as sweet as 120 and a lot more hop floral citris aroma. Not a sweet person, but if you are get this one!! Upped my rating after a second tasting. I had drank the 120 before this last time which threw my tasting off.

kevinphish (31) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 22, 2006
On tap. Large snifter. Pours clear amber golden, with a white head.. Hop aromas tend to really come out when the beer warms up a bit- floral, critrus, earthy, herbal- the whole package. Taste is "Dogfish head sweet": sticky, candy sugar and honey. Finishes with a long sweet finish with the herbal hop bittering battling for position on your tastebuds.. Was expecting a bit more

Jabswitch (278) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 21, 2006
Very aromatic. Beautiful deep amber, clear as can be. Small, filmy head from this bottle. For a 9% alc. content, surprisingly smooth. But there is a nice late arriving bite. This is so drinkable. Lively palate. No sour aftertaste that some IPA and Ales will leave. Total quality in this selection. A special treat.

stefgriff (6) - Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 20, 2006 does not count
Most recent tasting on tap at the Dogfish Head brewpub in Rehoboth Beach. Great amber color with very little head. Nice hop flavor with some sweetness from the malt. One of my favorite IPAs thus far.

VTHopHead (1511) - Seymour, Tennessee, USA - JUN 16, 2006
Bottle - Poured a darkish orange-amber in color with a small whitish head that, while somewhat foamy initially, diminished to a thin rim and light cover on the beer in the glass. Aroma, while deliciously hoppy to start (both floral spice), there is also (surprisingly) a medium amount of malty sweetness present. The flavor, of course, starts as pretty intense hops, but without the nasty bite that strongly hopped beers sometimes get. This heavenly hoppiness is supoported by a more than generous amount of sweet malt that provides, perhaps, the best balanced beer I have ever had. It all comes to a "bitter end", however, as the malt fades in the stretch and the hop bitterness lingers for a medium (nice) while. I am truly impressed... this is a very excellent brew! Good thing that I have 3 more left for later... ;-) A beer that will be highly sought after for my beer cellar...

trafford (171) - Germantown, Tennessee, USA - JUN 16, 2006
This was the highlight of our IPA beer tasting. It was in a class of it’s own with a unique taste that is very sweet compared to other traditional IPA beers. I could start the night off with a couple of these but not much more.

fordest (2470) - Santee/San Diego, California, USA - JUN 15, 2006
12 oz. bottle thanks to xproudfoot. Bright amber pour with a smallish head. Aromas were mostly hoppy with some bright fruits. citrus too. Hints of caramel, but mostly hops. Malts came through better on the flavor, but still the hops wins out in the end. Very hoppy very bitter, very good. Thanks Chris

Illini08 (542) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JUN 14, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 15, 2007 12 oz. bottle. Plenty of hops. Not quite enough malts to balance it out I thought. Also, this seemed a little bit thin to me. Still not a bad beer, but not nearly as good as I was expecting it to be.
Original Rating: 8/4/7/3/15

Re-Rate: On tap at Radio Maria in Champaign. Hazy dark amber/orange pour into a tulip glass. Small white head dissipated to a thin layer that stayed on the top of the beer. Big citrusy, piney hop aroma with a similarly big presence of sweet dried fruits from the malt. Flavor was similar to the aroma. Lots of orange and mandarin hops backed by a huge malt base. Really excellent stuff. Very well balanced, easily drinkable. Glad I revisited this one!!

bdjames29 (273) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUN 13, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 29, 2006 Wonderful fruity aroma. Clear, sparkling pour with a thin head that prduces that wonderul aroma. Nice feel in the mouth - very smooth with a medium body. I was looking for the strong bitter hops taste to hit the back of my tongue on the swallow - but instead I got a lovely, soft, citrus rush mixed with a plesant hoppiness. Very smooth -very clean aftertaste. My full recommendation - a superb beer.

peter (445) - Normal, Illinois, USA - JUN 13, 2006
Liquid carmel gold with aquarium bubbles. Nose is coffee and lemone with a piney alcohol. Flavour is deep with orange and lemon citrus, pine, a thin coco powder. Finishes with roast, bitter and chewy of carmel malts. Hedonically bliss.