overall

RATINGS: 4288   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

dwedin (249) - Happy Valley, Oregon, USA - FEB 28, 2006
Awesome IPA. Beautiful pour. Lasting white head, a little lace, sweet hop aroma. Mild sweetness at once overcome with a very strong but smooth bitterness that finishes with you craving more.

schoolofspool (25) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 27, 2006
UPDATED: APR 8, 2006 [12 oz bottle] Poured a orange/amber hue with a tight frothy lasting head. Nose is herbaceous, very resiny, with a plenty of fruit and malt in the background. An onslaught of hops battles it out with the malt sweetness. The succulent oily hops take over which, while very strong, aren’t overly bitter. Alcohol stays hidden very nicely without being nonexistant. medium bodied with an slick oily texture and a pleasant CO2 tingle. Long bitter finish with just enough caramel malts to get you through. Although it definately leans on its hops character it’s very well behaved. My beer list isn’t long, but this is definately in my top ten and I always get to the end of my 4-pack wishing I purchased more! Can’t wait to dive deeper into the world of IPAs after this promising start. 7/3/8/4/18=4.0

Re-rate: I know it’s only been a month since I rated but I’ve compared quite a few brews to the 90 minute and nothing captures the essence of this stuff. Some bring a well balanced package, and some cram in the hops until oil bleeds from the bottle, but Dogfish walks the line and delivers on some unthought of level. Four of these are going to be subjected to various degrees of aging and I can’t wait to see what happens when the edgy hops are attenuated a bit.

Brewer73 (8) - Buffalo, New York, USA - FEB 27, 2006 does not count
One of the very best 2IPA’s I’ve had, courtesy of COLES on Elmwood, in bottle’s. Went down tooo smooth/easy, drank them all night, don’t remember anything else.

Apellonious (53) - USA - FEB 26, 2006
Pours orange with a thin head. Hoppy citrus aroma with a slight hint of alcohol. If you like hops, this is your beer. Very crisp, you can feel the carbo on the roof of your mouth on the intital swigs. But is also has some smoothness to it, which becomes more apparent as the beer warms. The heavy alcohol content is well masked. Like most of Doghead’s beer, definitely reccommended.

bgburdman9 (861) - columbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 25, 2006
12 oz bottle. Poured a copperish rusty color but not all that impressive of a looking beer. The very first smell was ridiculous and it only got better from there. I immediately had to have all my roomates try this beer. The alcohol is very well masked in this beer. As an amateur in drinking craft beer, this is definitely one of the best I have had yet.

NJBeerman013 (1054) - Hamilton Twp., New Jersey, USA - FEB 25, 2006
Draft - Dark... so dark and delicious. Good amount of hop and well balanced with malts. Not as big as I was expecting, but good flavor. Aroma was fairly hoppy and spicy, with a grassy undertone. Drinkable, not to much bitterness.

JugOPunch (83) - Nashua, New Hampshire, USA - FEB 25, 2006
Bottled 12/28/05: This beer pours a very unimpressive clear rusty brown. Not much in the way of aroma especially given the style and hop character. A mostly malty aroma with subdued hop scent. Not neccesarily bad just very unexpected. The hop character comes out more in the flavor but not as big as I like. It is well balanced and deep with the fruity malts but not particularly bright. The alchohol is well hidden and the body is full and creamy which is probably the best attribute of this imperial. It is very drinkable, which is always important, but for me hardly the best of the lot.

pik5el (53) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - FEB 25, 2006
A yummy 12-oz bottle. Boom! Now that’s got some flavor. Great color, amber and dark spun gold. Fruity hopness of aroma, quite pleasing.... Just begging you to come taste it. Hoppy taste, of course with an earthy smokiness. Almost like roasted almonds. Hoppy aftertaste. Good though.

Nejhleader (1574) - Lemoyne, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 22, 2006
UPDATED: APR 14, 2006 Very surprised with the taste. Almost had a roast taste to it, bitter finish, Floral aroma. Does not have the powerful hop taste you would expect. Has a good complexity to it creamy texture sweet initially, bitter finish.

drainey (234) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 22, 2006
12 oz. bottle. Dark golden body with a beautiful one inch thick white head. Aroma is hugely hoppy. The taste surprised me. I expected an extension of the hoppy aroma, but I found it much more complex and subtle. The hops are there, but they are nicely balanced by a malty, vanilla sweetness. Palate is surprisingly smooth for an IPA. Very nice beer.