overall

RATINGS: 4288   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

OldRaspy (292) - Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA - JAN 24, 2006
Poured a nice golden color with a small off-white head. Aroma was very hoppy with a bit of spicy citrus. A medium smooth body with a malty flavor that finished very hoppy.

pjyielder (9) - Gainesville, Florida, USA - JAN 23, 2006 does not count
Heard such great things about this one, and it didn’t disappoint. Very nice pour from the bottle; the color is a reddish amber. The aroma only hints at how good this beer tastes. The flavor is one of a kind. Very smooth, with a unique, almost velvety mouth texture. Hints of grapefruit and bittersweet chocolate, with a good balance between malt and hops. ABV is 9%, but you can’t tell at all. Let this sit in your mouth for a few seconds at just-below-ice-cold and the torrent of flavor becomes a real joy. I’m very impressed. Extra helpings of love went into this one.

fbennett (293) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 23, 2006
This IPA pours a beautiful golden color, it leaves a nice sticky white lace that sticks to the side of the glass. The smell is of hops, lemon, sweet fruit. I let this beer sit for a minute to bring out more flavor and aroma, and as I put it back to my nose more floural and spicey aromas became present. As I tasted this beer I let the beer sit on my palate and so many delicious flavors came to mind, a smoothe, malty, hoppy finish. The taste is carmalized fruits, grape, peaches, caramel, and kick of hops. You can’t even taste the 9% abv. This is the best IPA, actually one of the best beers I’ve had the priviledge of tasting.

sarah3961 (29) - allston, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 23, 2006
Super tasty beverage. Amber, clear, big head. Not too sweet- floral hoppy flavor that makes me happy. Not overpowering- pretty easy to drink. Doesn’t particularly taste like a strong beer.

eve (240) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JAN 20, 2006
This might be my favorite of the X-minutes--in the middle in several nice ways--although they are all oh-so-good. This one pours a burnished gold with fluffy head, beautiful grassy blossoming hop aroma, smooth malty taste with grapefruit and honey that can stand up to that big bold dry-hopping, nice creamy mouthfeel.

ebarnes (261) - Beech Grove, Indiana, USA - JAN 20, 2006
12 oz bottle. Poured dark gold with a light yellow-ish head that was fairly large. Very, very smooth. Maybe the best IPA I’ve had to date. You’d never know the alcohol content is that high. Very nice.

porterhouse (1580) - Boothbay, Maine, USA - JAN 19, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 12, 2008 (Bottled on 11/10/05) Light golden amber with a thin fizzy off-white head which mostly goes away. Powerful aroma of aromatic hops. Some fine lacing. Mouthfeel slightly syrupy, sticky (is this a DFH trademark?). The flavor is sweet then bitter. Aftertaste of hops. Easier to handle than the 120 Minute which will kick you in the ass quickly. This also seems less carbonated. Very much the same beer to me, just less extreme. Would be easier to go back to. Updated 7/12/08: Well I had this again at a DFH beer tasting and finally realized just how good a big IPA it is. Really not overly sweet as I may have felt before. The wondrous hop bouquet is as fresh as any I’ve tasted in a beer. Just so fresh and alive tasting, even from a bottle. Lovely caramel and vanilla malt base. I’ve had more perspective on this style since my first rating and now put it up there with the best.

weepingsuds (223) - Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA - JAN 19, 2006
Another excellent take from dogfish. I love you man. Had this in a sampler at a dogfish restraunt in Gaithersburg. The rueben was steller, and this was best of batch in my opinion. It takes the 60 and turns it up just a notch, smooth a small hint of alcohol. Beautiful lacing and god am I salavating

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - JAN 18, 2006
UPDATED: APR 11, 2007 Pours amber honey color w/ a full, semi creamy froth. Good head retention w/ residual lacing. Aroma of flowery hops, citrus rind, and sodium. Full nectar w/ soft and creamy residual effers. Fat yet refined malts w/ big grapefruit hops and a mild sweetness factor. Like dipping ruby red grapefruit into a bowl of half dry sugar. Not real complex but very drinkable. Nice citrus rind bittering on the finish. Alcohol is well hidden. Highly recommended.

NikkiW (2) - Eustis, Texas, USA - JAN 15, 2006 does not count
I can’t get enough of the Dogfish Head brews! Personally, I enjoy the 60 minute a tad bit more than the 90 minute. But you can’t go wrong with either. I’ve only had them in bottles so far.