overall

RATINGS: 4275   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

PeterLikesBeer (104) - Berwyn Heights, Maryland, USA - OCT 21, 2005
Pours amaber with a small off white head. Aroma is piney and hoppy. The taste has a lot of hops but is balanced out very well by sweetness and bitterness. nice long bitter finish. Well done.

miketrum (18) - NAUGATUCK, Connecticut, USA - OCT 19, 2005
a great great IPA. Had it on tap in a pint glass. Very hoppy but balanced. I am a hops freak and this did the trick.

moody (12) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - OCT 16, 2005
Wow!!! I can’t knock this one for anything. One of the most drinkable beers I’ve ever had. Not as bitter as most IPAs. Little aftertaste. Goes down easier than Paris Hilton.

TheBeerNinja (137) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - OCT 11, 2005
This beer looks sexy in the glass. Pours a clear rich amber with a frothy white head that diminishes to a thin cap. Nose is piney with that strange dogfish malt smell. Palate is thick and lasting. Like drinking pineapple juice. This beer could be a little more bitter, but otherwise it’s great. And It’ll do the trick quick without you realizing it.

tmad (93) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - OCT 11, 2005
A golden amber color with a beige frothy head, aroma is sweet fruit. Wow this is a darn good beer, plenty of mouth watering hop flavor, with just the right amount of malt. A sweet taste similar to grapefruit, this is simply a great tasting brew if you enjoy IPA’s.

dogfishho (669) - Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA - OCT 10, 2005
I am by no means an expert at describing specific flavors, but I will attempt it nonetheless. I had this on tap at a bar neer my home having never heard of it. It had an amber/golden mixture in its color with a thin head, though this could be due to ambiant conditions in the bar. I love IPAs as a group and this one is top shelf in the category. Spiced fruits come through when first sipped with that signature IPA hoppiness on the long finish. This beer got me interested in the rest of the excellent DFH line.

jigglyjock (165) - Longmont, Colorado, USA - OCT 8, 2005
This is such a well balanced freekin’ beer. Pours a clear light copper pennie / orange with a generous, mostly deminishing, silky offwhite head. It has a deep aroma of sweet grapefruit piney hops and cookie dough malts. The flavor of this beer is so big. Its in no way overly hoppy which one would intisipate. It has such a well balance of malt and hops. Which include sweet grapefruit, cookie dough, pine, with a bitter alcohol finish. The body is thick making the flavor just linger in your mouth. The best IPA I have ever experiance so far.

wxman (1847) - O’Fallon, Illinois, USA - OCT 6, 2005
Golden amber in color with a big white head that lingers. Very hoppy, but malty sweetness comes through nicely. Alcohol is evident in it’s warmth, but not in taste due to the dominant hopping. An excellent Imperial IPA, but not for everyone.

RCL (2032) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 5, 2005
Excellent, my favorite IPA. Floral aroma almost smacks of tropical fruits.

Reid (2626) - Salem, Oregon, USA - OCT 4, 2005
The appearance is quite attractive,the usual orangy, slightly hazed colour of an IPA, large egg shell white frothy head, great lace. Again a great spicy fresh aroma of citrus fruits and pine needles, some hints of malt and alcohol. Taste is actually quite sweet, surprised me, at the start before a tart fizzy bitterness takes over , very lemony,but in the background i taste alcohol which I should expect for a 9% beer but kinda spoils if a bit for me. MOuthfeel is alright and quite smooth to begin with, but after a few sips becomes cloying., I liked this ok but not the world class DIPA i thought it would be