overall

RATINGS: 4661   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

1FastSTi (3360) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 23, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 10, 2005 Sampled from a 750 care of DavidP. He mentioned that it’s from 2002. The picture on the bottle is a guy trying to pound a nail up his nose. The appearance is a beautiful, shiny/iridescent red copper color. Wispy white head looks like cirrus clouds. The aroma is barleywine-esque. I get a huge sweet and spicy malt with a ton of bitter hops that didn’t fade much with age (although I can’t compare to a fresh one). I get a lot of the two-row present. The flavor is to die for. Holy cow! I get caramel, two-row barley, still has tons of hops, I also get a chocolatey backbone. The palate is nice, rich and creamy, but I get a bit too much alcohol. 7/5/10/4/17 = 4.3 >>>>>>>>>>>& (2005?) that is from a 12 oz. bottle. I poured it into my Pilsner glass for optimal appearance. And, yes, that is achieved. It has the densest milky merengue head that I have EVER seen on a beer. Absolutely gorgeous. The aroma is still like a barleywine IMO. The palate is so delicate and soomth. Rich and creamy. No hint of alcohol. I don’t recall the flavor comparison by memory, but in reading, I’d say the flavor is very similar. Really good stuff. 7/5/10/5/18 = 4.5

jcr (2705) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - JUL 23, 2005
Aroma greets you with hops and malts - citrus, caramel. A pleasant sweetness of caramel rides on top of the bittering hops as you sip and swallow. Slight afterglow of alcohol. This is one well-crafted IPA.

Jon123 (36) - Emmaus, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 18, 2005
I agree with the reviewer a few lines below....I enjoy the 60 minute IPA better. The 90 minute IPA has more of a malt finish to help balance the heaps or hops. Any way you slice it, Dogfish Head makes great tasting beer!

Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - JUL 18, 2005
Loved this beer, even though it was sweeter than I thought it would be, it worked, very balanced, alcohol was hidden well. I enjoyed it at a warmer temperature. Can’t wait to have it again!

BrewDad (5328) - Olympia, Washington, USA - JUL 16, 2005
A great beer. Sam really hit the hops on this 90 minute IPA. had a strong finish and a great overall color. I loved the hoppy undertones throughout the beer. Drank this at PIB (Portland International Brewfest)

donrajin (233) - Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina, USA - JUL 14, 2005
This is a good IPA, but a little too much over the top hop flavor for me. Not sure if it is too much, or the wrong selection for my taste buds. I preferred the 60 min. better.

TURDFERGUSON (4058) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUL 11, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 30, 2006 very good in the bottle...even better on tap. i know this is true for most beers, but you can really taste the difference in the hop presence when its fresh from the keg.

dogfishhead (3) - TINLEY PARK, Illinois, USA - JUL 10, 2005 does not count
I think the 90 minute is the perfect IMPERIAL IPA that can be found in the bottle. I usually drink it in the big bomber bottle. I was amazed to discover that this beer is as good as the best IPAS you will find on tap. In many bottled IPAS the beer is much different than on tap. There tends to be an excess of bitterness and lack of malt balance. However, the 90 minute is very well balanced with the hops not overtaking the malt. Also, there was no diacetyl or oxidation in any of the bomber bottles I have tasted. --------&# DONAHUE

zug4abby (287) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 10, 2005
i have enojyed this beer both in the bottle and on tap and it is a good variety of smells and flavors. very hoppy taste through-out and absolutely MUST sit for a few minutes before drinking.

LawofCreation (8) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - JUL 8, 2005 does not count
Wow....this stuff wasn’t even cold and it was awesome. Out of the bottle, the head is about 1/2" and fades to 1/8" thru the glass. Laces the glass all nice and pretty like. Pours an amber color with slight carbonation....still, not enough to tingle your tounge enough to the point that you can’t taste the beer. Going down the gullet, well it’s thick, I can’t really place the tase (newb) and has an ever so slightly bitter finish, but not enough for me to complain. This stuff is 9%? Wow, this is an awesome beer that I would definitely try again. Yet another great from Dogfish Head.