overall

RATINGS: 4604   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
bombshelter (349) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAR 7, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 28, 2006 i mean wow. pours a clear light amber. aroma is a bang of resin-y hops . flavor: wow. malty fun in front, hoppy finish in back. it ends with some sweetness, but the dry-hopping character is there. enough of the malt gets through to make this an absolutely stellar beer. no evidence of the 9% alc. i think im in love.

oldno7 (137) - Spokane, Washington, USA - MAR 7, 2005
UPDATED: APR 5, 2006 Pours amber with thick off white head. Has aroma of hops, fruits and citrus. Flavor of grapefruit, hops, floral, and citrus. Execellent I2PA not too strong and well balanced.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
bigrond (1499) - factoryville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 6, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 27, 2005 hands down the best I.P.A ever strong hop flavor, even stronger hop finish and nine percent alc. WOW this is heaven

footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - MAR 5, 2005
Boy,I love the looks and the nose of this brew.Clear amber brew with a dash of big bubble head and a blast of piney resiny hops that leapt outta the glass and landed one on my nose.Hoppy and malty,I found there to be a very good balance between the two.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
aspidites (1272) - manteca, California, USA - MAR 3, 2005
UPDATED: APR 17, 2005 Nice but not great Imperial. too much malt sweetness for me not hoppy enough. a good beer fron a much overrated brewery.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Tejas (992) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAR 2, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 19, 2009 Im not a big hop head or at least I didnt used to be. The flowery hop aroma in this one is actually very enticing. Nice 1 finger head that holds its form. Very smooth and hardly any of that hop bite that I used to hate. Extremely drinkable. The 9% is not noticeable at all. I could drink this regularily and thats saying a lot for this malt lover.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Holdwine (1199) - Beertimore, Maryland, USA - FEB 28, 2005
Wow! Like jumping into a hops pool. Dark red pour with a small lasting head. Must be sipped to get the full citrus tang with the sharp hoppiness. I guess there is malt as well, but who cares?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
badnewsbeers (2312) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - FEB 28, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 18, 2007 a wonderful deep, mahogany red appearance with thin, white head; aroma of full of hops (more on the floral side) and sugars, while the flavor is full of grapefruit, malts, and sugars; good palate

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bsawatzky (153) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 24, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 22, 2005 a wonderful beer. with much anticipation i poured my first glass and was certainly not disappointed. the grapefruit flavor is very unique and the alcohol punch is just right. beautiful deep golden color and nice sweet/spicy aroma.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - FEB 24, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 25, 2006 I wasted two glasses of this stuff just trying to find one thing wrong with it. Never did, but I enjoyed trying. Pours a lighter golden color which is a little weak but the balance of hops and malt in the flavor along with the crisp finish is just perfect to me. Alcohol is masked nicely and it is deceptively strong. Wow, just highly enjoyable and I wish it came in 6 packs and not the 4s.