overall

RATINGS: 4661   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

dirkules (629) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 7, 2004
An instant classic in my books. I’m all about the hops and this has it in spades! Pours a big creamy smooth beige head and a hazy orange. Nose is floral, spicy, citrus and sweet. Malt start with hops tickling the tip of my tongue. Dry finish with a tad of carbonation and more hops aftertaste. Alcohol is a silent and wonderful delight... fabulous and complex.

jtxx (149) - san antonio, Texas, USA - NOV 5, 2004
almost a copper/bronze color..head stayed the entire drink, which was at least 20 minutes. sweter than i like. one or two a night is enough.

Crockett (1117) - Southampton, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 31, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 5, 2005 My original rating for this beer was terrible. I will allow the numbers to speak for themselves as this is one of the few beers that I crave on a regular basis. Although I do have a couple of bottles at home, I prefer to sample at bars and save the ones in my care. This one really grows on you, and although it isn’t balanced, she is quite delicious and fun.

Pailhead (6539) - Rochester Hills, Michigan, USA - OCT 27, 2004
UPDATED: APR 19, 2005 Bottle: Aroma is sweet grapefruit. Real malty and hoppy. Light transparent orangish-amber. Decent white head with great lacing. Very malty IPA. Maybe a little too sweet as far as my preference for balance. Hop finish isn’t as big due to the maltiness of this beer. Alcohol is slightly noticeable in the finish. I like the 60 better.

Loddeer (171) - USA - OCT 23, 2004
This is a very interesting IPA. The smell reminds me of an oak cask with hints of charcoal. Pours nice. The flavor for an IPA is simply unique. First off, there’s no overwhelming hop aftertaste, instead it’s more a continuation of flavors throughout. The initial taste is hoppy citrus with a preeminent alcohol flavoring (usually the inability to mask alcohol is bad, but in this case it is welcome). The flavoring of the hops is very unique. The complexity is superb, with no individual dominance, but instead a pleasing harmony of flavors throughout. A little dark and dreary for an IPA, needs more life, but still extremely deep and satisfying. If there was a uniqueness rating ... it would receive a 10. Excellent overall, refinements would make this an unbelievable offering.

verymerrymonk (413) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - OCT 22, 2004
Very cloudy dark orange body with a small but persistent white head. Once it was in the glass, I could smell this one from a distance of a few feet (literally). Upon closer inspection, I was hit with a huge hoppy aroma. The tastes consists, predominately, of lemon and other citrus with a long, slow dry finish. I look forward to comparing this with DFH’s other IPAs (or at very least the 60 min).

Beerly There (26) - Oregon, USA - OCT 21, 2004
Bottle. Nice orange-amber color. Small white head. Aroma is a pleasant mix of malt and hops. Better yet if you allow it warm for about 30 minutes after you take it out of the fridge. The only complaint I have is that there is so much malt to balance the hops that it’s a bit on the sweet side. None-the-less, it’s a great beer from a great brewery.

DragonStout (1416) - Groveport, Ohio, USA - OCT 21, 2004
Wow pretty much describes it.You can smell and taste evry hop.High frutiness taste with a very clean finish.

jmuhops (669) - Winchester, Virginia, USA - OCT 20, 2004
Bottle. Pours orangish-amber with a small-medium sized head. Wonderful citrus hop aroma--a barely detectable alcohol burn in the nose. Flavor is very good, not over the top as I expected. Well-balanced with a dry finish. Excellent.

Sancho (245) - Da Bronx, New York, USA - OCT 17, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 4, 2008 Bottle from 23rd Street, Aroma of sweet hops ,citrius grapefruit. Medium body kinda syrupy.pine hoppy flava not malt in there somewhere.BEAST