overall

RATINGS: 4257   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - NOV 18, 2004
Relatively clear amber body with vibrant oranges and syrupy brown and honey colors. Head is loose, white and does not last long at all. Smell is hoppy with pine fragrances, as well as fruity melons and bananas. Mouth feel is cool and syrupy. Flavor comes with a wallop of dry vegetable/pine cone hops then gets sweeter with fruity papaya, pineapple and sweet melon. Aftertaste is that excellent, dry, biting hop flavor that you want from a good IPA coupled with some nice roasty nut flavors. Alcohol is definitely there too and is brutish for the otherwise refined high alcohol beverages by DFH. But still, its completely normal for a big IPA. You know, if I had been blindfolded in a room of 100 IPAs (heaven for most of you), I guarantee I could have found this beer and classified it as DFH, it just has that distinctiveness. Cheers, for drinking back to back 99-100 percentile beers by a fine brewer from my region.

OKBeer (1171) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA - NOV 15, 2004
330 ml bottle at Smokeless Joe’s. Orange amber colour with a frothy and bubbly white head. Fresh, leafy, piny, grapefruit, and caramel aroma. Bready, caramel, and lightly fruity malts leading to a fantastic fresh pine, grapefruit, and fruity bitter finish. Full bodied and smooth mouthfeel. The relative "balance" of this compared to Dreadnaught just leaves this head and shoulders above that for me.

deadguy (42) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 11, 2004
This is my fav. of the dogfish head IPAs - hoptastic! Moderate head and lacing, the beer pours deep copper. Finish is very hoppy with a linger of slight citrus. I love amirillo hops, their flavor is very apparent. The malts are balanced with the hops for a well rouned taste. I dig it.

eboats (1082) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - NOV 7, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 27, 2007 Orange with and off white head. The aroma suprised me. I was expecting more hops, but instead I got a sweet yeasty aroma complimented by spices. The flavor suprised even more as the hops weren’t dominant. It had ridiculous maltiness for an IPA. The dominant taste was sweet fig, and the hops were not very strong. This beer ends more bitter than it starts. Just a sweet superbly balanced beer.

dirkules (629) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 7, 2004
An instant classic in my books. I’m all about the hops and this has it in spades! Pours a big creamy smooth beige head and a hazy orange. Nose is floral, spicy, citrus and sweet. Malt start with hops tickling the tip of my tongue. Dry finish with a tad of carbonation and more hops aftertaste. Alcohol is a silent and wonderful delight... fabulous and complex.

jtxx (149) - san antonio, Texas, USA - NOV 5, 2004
almost a copper/bronze color..head stayed the entire drink, which was at least 20 minutes. sweter than i like. one or two a night is enough.

Crockett (1120) - Southampton, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 31, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 5, 2005 My original rating for this beer was terrible. I will allow the numbers to speak for themselves as this is one of the few beers that I crave on a regular basis. Although I do have a couple of bottles at home, I prefer to sample at bars and save the ones in my care. This one really grows on you, and although it isn’t balanced, she is quite delicious and fun.

Pailhead (6543) - Rochester Hills, Michigan, USA - OCT 27, 2004
UPDATED: APR 19, 2005 Bottle: Aroma is sweet grapefruit. Real malty and hoppy. Light transparent orangish-amber. Decent white head with great lacing. Very malty IPA. Maybe a little too sweet as far as my preference for balance. Hop finish isn’t as big due to the maltiness of this beer. Alcohol is slightly noticeable in the finish. I like the 60 better.

Loddeer (171) - USA - OCT 23, 2004
This is a very interesting IPA. The smell reminds me of an oak cask with hints of charcoal. Pours nice. The flavor for an IPA is simply unique. First off, there’s no overwhelming hop aftertaste, instead it’s more a continuation of flavors throughout. The initial taste is hoppy citrus with a preeminent alcohol flavoring (usually the inability to mask alcohol is bad, but in this case it is welcome). The flavoring of the hops is very unique. The complexity is superb, with no individual dominance, but instead a pleasing harmony of flavors throughout. A little dark and dreary for an IPA, needs more life, but still extremely deep and satisfying. If there was a uniqueness rating ... it would receive a 10. Excellent overall, refinements would make this an unbelievable offering.

verymerrymonk (413) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - OCT 22, 2004
Very cloudy dark orange body with a small but persistent white head. Once it was in the glass, I could smell this one from a distance of a few feet (literally). Upon closer inspection, I was hit with a huge hoppy aroma. The tastes consists, predominately, of lemon and other citrus with a long, slow dry finish. I look forward to comparing this with DFH’s other IPAs (or at very least the 60 min).