overall

RATINGS: 4604   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - JUN 18, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 11, 2006 Re-rate from a bottle I got in a trade with Hogtown Harry. Lovely hop aroma, small tan head. Great hop taste, tons of malt, I really enjoyed this a lot more than a couple of years ago. I found it really nicely balanced with no hint of the alcohol. Ill take the 60 as a session, but if I want a perfectly balanced double IPA, this is the one. Thanks Harry! Original 8/4/5/3/14 Bottle. Fantastic orange colour, small head that dissipates quickly. Lots of citrus hops right off the bat in the aroma. First taste is surprising there is a lot more body to this than I was expecting. But I found it very syrupy it certainly balanced off the hops, which I really enjoyed in the taste yes, they were aggressive, especially in the finish, but I thought they totally made the beer. What I didnt like was the overpowering alcohollike syrupy taste I got. So overall, certainly a good beer, one of the best Ive tasted for taming a tremendous amount of hops, but the balance isnt quite there.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Mads Langtved (2244) - Copenhagen K, DENMARK - JUN 16, 2004
This is a brutal one. A bit too alcoholic and aggressive. However i like the extreme amount of hops in this beer. Interesting and worth dribking again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Falconseye8 (542) - Evans, Colorado, USA - JUN 14, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 17, 2004 Comparing the Stone IPA I just had with this Dogfish 90 Double IPA. Stone was Excellent, Dogfish is even better!!! Wanted to save some of these for Milestones but posting made me rethink cellaring this one for too long a time period. Dark Amber out of bottle Hoppy, Sweet, Potent, Intense. Believe it or not I like this better than Dreadnaught!!! Very nice beer. Im glad I bought all these from Vintage Cellar and they were available. This is truly a great Beer. Dogfish just a wee bit better than Stone Ruination.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - JUN 12, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 16, 2004 Its all there but for some reason it doesnt come together for me. Ive tried this now a few times and hesitated to rate considering the legendary props. But I cant hold out any longer. The booziness is distracting and the hops are too astringent. However, lets zoom out and consider all the crap thats out there- this is still quite a fine effort. Re-Rate on Tap at the Maproom 8-11-04: Here is what everyone is talking about! The ingredients come together in a seamless and creamy double IPA that is wonderful. Still not as nuanced as dreadnaught and a bit too much alcohol in the end. New rating combines bottle and tap results.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
PhrankSlovacek (54) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 9, 2004
Pours orangish, blonde. Crisp, strong, hoppy nose. Heavy bitterness, and powerful hops.Dry finish. The first taste was the best, after several drinks my tongue was saturated w/ bitterness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MaxRebo (6) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 8, 2004 does not count
If youre a hophead, then this beer is fantastic. It pours with a tall head that eventually diminishes and leaves a nice lace behind all the way to the last drop. Aroma is of fresh hop flowers and citrus. This is what turned me on to Imperial IPAs. Im new to rating, so its tough to describe this beer. It has a decent mouthfeel -- sort of snappy. Sharp bitterness with some citrusy flavors. When I first tried it, I thought it had such an interesting flavor. I wasnt sure if I liked it, but I couldnt stop taking sip after sip. I guess thats a good sign? :)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cubedbee (10) - USA - JUN 4, 2004
Light gold color with thick bubbly white head. Pleasant hops aroma. Very nice feel in the mouth. Strong hops feeling upfront. Tastes very good for the amount of alcohol.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Theli (3) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - JUN 2, 2004 does not count
A truly awe-inspiring IPA. Powerful, slightly fruity aroma. Deliciously intense hoppy flavor with an interesting herbal aftertaste. This beer has taken up a permanent residence in my top 10.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Aurelius (5154) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JUN 1, 2004
Ruthless. Simply ruthless. This has a great mouthfeel. Lots of piney orange fruitiness with some diacetyls. Intense burnt orange coloring, but the bottle and label ought to take a deduction, however Ill give it a pass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
civforprez (229) - Galesburg, Illinois, USA - JUN 1, 2004
You can smell the hops as you our the dark amber/brownish ale into the glass, finsihing it with a full lasting head. Hops are most prevalent flavor, with a little bitterness and a good amount of dryness. An exceptional beer!