overall

RATINGS: 4289   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - DEC 23, 2001
A truly hoppy concoction: strong, floral, citrusy hops, and a ton of bitterness. Some sweet taste once you get past the hops, even a hint of something like strawberries, but it's hard to find under all those hops.

lizziesage (180) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 16, 2001
UPDATED: APR 24, 2007 Big and impressive! The visual presentation was a light amber topped by a soft, whispy white head. The aroma was a blended concoction of sour grapefruit and big floral, grassy hop notes. I found the mouthfeel to be rather smooth, full, and round. The hops dominated the flavor profile, in addition to malt sweetness and strong alcohol tastes. 90 Minute IPA finished with a strong, sustained bitter and some alcohol warmth with a hint of mint. It was worth a try but I can’t see myself shelling out for it again.

Belgik (72) - Sterrebeek, BELGIUM - NOV 14, 2001
Pale Ale color, foamy. Very nice Pale Ale nose. Extremely dry hoppy/bitter taste, too dry, really. I guess I'm learning about the contribution of American hops as an element towards imbalance in a quest for galumptuous taste. It's similar to drinking an overoaked wine lacking basic fruit. Too bad, though, it sure beats Coors light!

Oakes (19576) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - NOV 11, 2001
Amber, brilliant colour; florals, herbs, caramelly nose; body is full of woody bitterness; big flavour with citrus, cascade. The bitterness really comes on strong late in this beer, detracting from the overall balance and coating the mouth. I wanted to see a more expressive nose and less bitterness in the finish.

daboskabouter (1469) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 11, 2001
Cloudy, light golden color. Floral, supermarket aroma. Huge hops, woody. I couldn't decide if I liked this or not. Might be good with something really spicy, but really over hopped, but I think that is what they are aiming for.

MilkmanDan (1942) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - NOV 9, 2001
Massive, massive hops in this one. Just MASSIVE. Definitely some maltiness to back it up, but it's so hoppy the bitters dry your mouth right after swallowing. Forms a thick, luscious head. Very tasty, though (I never thought I'd say this) it may be too hoppy. Still, a hophead's dream brew in many ways.