overall

RATINGS: 4257   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

Tree777's rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Tree777 (16) - Florida, USA - MAY 31, 2012
Well balanced IPA Dogfish Head knows what they are doing. Crisp hoppy bold flavor not a strong alcohol taste. One of my favorites!

Bill Becker (1371) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 20, 2017
From Mar 2007 Pours from 12oz bottle(room temp) a clear medium gold with a large head of foam that srinks slowly to a solid layer with lots of lacing. Very impressive looking beer. The smell has nice grapefruit aroma with some spicy notes and a bit of sweet malt. The taste on first sip is very citrusy(grapefruit & lemon) giving it good hop bitterness but it's balanced by a strong backbone of caramel malt and boy, does that work for this DIPA. Further sips in and the malt actually becomes the dominant feature of this brew and the warming from the alcohol also starts to play a part. Ahhh...this is great stuff. I'm so pleased Colorado is a distribtion point for Dogfish Head beers. More sips in and it's like a seesaw ride. First the malt is dominant, then the hops are. I have to say, for a 9%abv brew, this one's drinkability factor is outstanding! I'm just finishing what's left in my glass and I couldn't have enjoyed *any* DIPA more. So much taste and yet, so damn smooth and easy drinking. World class brew imho. Bottom line: A nectar of the gods! I couldn't recommend it more!

Slick75 (18) - - OCT 19, 2017
The color is a little too dark for an IPA- it looks like an octoberfest. The aroma is a muted hop, not a citrus hop. The taste is good. It is smooth and not very dry. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

jhking34 (16) - - SEP 30, 2017
-Villanueva standing alone -Vets as protected class... presumably b/c they've fought and died for freedom and American ideals -but what does it say that benefactor values their gift more than the beneficiary? -we eschew every institutions as soon as they're no longer convenient to us. There's no grievance too small to tear the whole thing down -then we wonder why we're divided -someone asked me what is the end game? Might be easy to say there is none. Or that's it's just petulance lashes out. But that misses the underlying problem. -the Individual is sovereign. If it was more convenient to us--if national sponsors would allow it--every person in the stands would have their own personal anthem... and we'd sing them all. -the NFL institution and it manifests itself in the shield. Players, coaches, fans accept it because it suits their interests (players don't wear Blm wristbands b/c they'd be fine for violating uniform conduct policy) -but as a fan, does this institution still suit our purposes? Does it provide an escape? Does it entertain? NFL and football have always been a unique American tradition... unifies us under the banner of certain Universal ideals... teamWork, hard work, etc. even American ones... specialization, ruggedness. certain institutions shouldn't be eschewed so easily. They're worth subordinating our individual interests for the greater good. But the NFL is not one of them (it's more peripheral... the expression of deeper ideas) So I will not watch. -"live in the American of your own choosing" ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

beern (179) - Alabama, USA - SEP 29, 2017
Pours amber golden and mostly translucent with a thin off-white, tan head with a nice aroma of barley and a hint of hops. Tastes of resin, sweet malt and barley upfront with a mildly bitter finish of hops and alcohol. It's full-bodied with moderate carbonation. Sweet barley and malt backbone for sure. There's a hint of wood, likely from the barley. Slick palate. Slick beer!

strider08 (1) - - SEP 21, 2017 does not count
This is the best beer I have ever tasted. Drink it regularly, absolutely love it. Highest recommendation. Wow!

ipa4me4u (33) - New Jersey, USA - SEP 20, 2017
Amazing how easy drinking this beer is for a 9%er. Heavy malt but not too sweet. Great winter beer.

Planteman (2) - - SEP 5, 2017 does not count
UPDATED: SEP 5, 2017 My current favorite easy to find boozy, Malty, imperial. God Speed Dog Fish Head!

Fujimo2000 (194) - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA - SEP 3, 2017
Pours golden copper with off white lasting carbonation. Actually very smooth beginning with dry finish that really grows on you.

Grumbo (3847) - Ipswich, Suffolk, ENGLAND - AUG 31, 2017
Bottle from a supermarket in New York, enjoyed in my hotel. Pours slightly hazy dark amber with a lasting bubbly/creamy off-white head. Aroma of hop, caramel, malt, light tropical and citrus fruit, plus cake with a light herbal and spice edge. Moderate sweetness and medium bitterness. Medium body, oily texture, average to soft carbonation. Finish is sticky, fruity, malty. Very good.

kraddel (8763) - Antwerp, BELGIUM - AUG 23, 2017
Bottle at thee tip tap room. Thx Luke ! Pours darker blonde to copper amber ,small White head. Smell is full, thick malty , bitter pine hoppy aroma. Taste is full, intensely bitter, full-on crunchy malts ( caramel, dark bread, intense crisp ) very damn nice ! Bitterness is also high, as to be expected. Extremely full in taste. Never out of balance, never turning at a characteristic of itself. Very nice approach to a rather extreme beer.