overall

RATINGS: 4652   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

BigDaddyBlues (48) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - AUG 1, 2007
Balance is what sets this such a great IPA. It is hoppy and citrusy on the nose and in the taste but one does not overwhelm the other. Botter comes on later but still does not shove the others aside. This is an IPA for everyone.

hamsterglory (48) - Bryan, Texas, USA - AUG 21, 2008
overly-ripe banana peel yellow head thickly resting on top of nectarine color ale. no bubbles. aroma insinuates rivalry between hops and malts. overbearing mouthfeel. citrus hops rush forward, dressing my teeth and tongue in a malty-patterned sweater impossible to remove. malts eventually win out - even over the abundance of hops. lacing on the cup counts my sips - at the very least ten partakings - lining my glass in shadowy white air and froth. this beer showcases the usual complexity of dogfish head brews - often times too ambitious for enjoyable drinkability.

DiscerninDrunk (48) - - SEP 9, 2014
Medium copper pour with a small dense white head with somewhat low retention, very clear, nice lacing. Citrus (lemon, grapefruit, orange) on the nose, floral, malts, sugar, maybe Candi sugar? Resinous start, moves quickly into the floral notes, which on turn is taken over by refined sugar, and finishes with a lingering pine note. Medium body.

gairym (47) - Les Houches, FRANCE - AUG 18, 2015
Hard to find fault with this one. Stronger tasting than I usually like but in a good way. One my favourites list for sure!

jebb12 (47) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - OCT 31, 2008
Pours the color of burnished cooper with an intesely delicious smell. In fact intensity is a good term to describe this beer; intense hop and malt flavor, intense crispyness, intense alcohol finish that leaves almost a sugary feeling going down. I would give it a higher rating but for the fact that everything’s explicit and ’in your face.’ In other words it lacks sublety like many American beers.

papsdatank (47) - Michigan, USA - JUL 13, 2011
It pours a clean golden/amber color with a frothy yet small head, then again I made a pretty safe pour so I might get a little more lacing with a more aggressive pour. The aroma is of citrus and floral hops with a little bit of caramel malts and some dark fruits. In terms of taste all I have to say is wow, itís much sweeter than I was expecting the citrus and floral hops are perfectly balanced with the caramel malt and dark sticky fruits little sign of alcohol except for the warmth. The palate is sticky and medium to almost full bodied yet itís smooth and refreshing.

reedcd2 (47) - USA - DEC 1, 2005
Iíve been trying to get this beer for a few weeks and was then waiting for a good occasion to try it. Last day of classes seemed appropriate. Great hops and other notes in the aroma. Thin white head on a perfect tawny body. Little bubbles rising like a champagne. Smooth taste for the 9% ABV. Crisp and smooth hops in the taste. Head and shoulders about the 60 minute IPA. Certainly worth the wait and looking forward to more.

SunSkates (47) - Arkansas, USA - SEP 3, 2006
Clear Copper with light frothy head. Potent hop aroma, citrus and floral. Malty sweetness and delicate hop flavor. Kind of spicy. Bitter and fruity. Chewy hop bitterness that lingers. Fantastic.

mattcoats (47) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - OCT 24, 2006
This is an exquisite IPA, its powerful hops almost overpower you, but they are quickly smoothed out by the beers amazing mix of gentle flavors and graceful body. By far one of the best IPAs Iíve had.

jkoch (47) - USA - JUL 4, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 15, 2007 This is the first time Iíve tried this beer. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass. Nice clear copper color with 2 fingers of foamy off-white head. The armoa is floral, and the 9% alcohol makes itself known. First thing I taste is the malt, and then a grapefruit like bitterness. Again, the 9% alcohol is evident. Honestly itís a bit much for me. Palate is nice, a bit sticky on my lips. Overall, I think this is a good beer, but I was expected to be blown away from reading the ratings and seeing that this is one of the top ranked American beers.