overall

RATINGS: 4661   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute I.I.PA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate. This beer is an excellent candidate for use with Randall The Enamel Animal! 90 ibu
Tasting Notes: Brandied fruitcake, raisiney, citrusy.
Food Pairing recommendations: Pork chops, beef, grilled fish, frites, focaccia, split pea soup, Stilton cheese & escargot.
Glassware recommendation: Snifter
Wine comparable: Sauvignon Blanc
In case you care... the average 12 oz. serving has 294 calories.

slang's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
slang (654) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - MAR 15, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 12, 2006 This has to be the most extreme IPA I have ever tasted, which was to be expected. But my overall expectations were way off. There was very little head, and what did exsist lasted only a few seconds then ran for the sides of my glass and hide there the rest of the session. A deep, hazy amber. The nose was strong of hops and hops alone. The taste is brutally hopped, but right when you are about to curse the heavy hand of the hop tosser... the malts come around and save the day. You are still left with the pine-citrus linger, which is plesent, but not extra-ordinary. I suspect much time went into balancing such a big beer. I like IPA’s this one was just a little over the top for me. ~--~ Re- Rate! 3/12/06 bottle ~--~ Well apparently more carbonated this time. Aroma is good but really just like smelling a hop bag. This is thick and surupy?... Thick. Oh, and strong by the way. Two glasses and a fine buzz, check!, Yes Sir! Good and pure. Would I change my previous rating? No... & thats saying something since this was one of my first IIPA... SOLID.

govansboy () - - JUL 20, 2017
UPDATED: JUL 20, 2017 My absolute favorite beer. Malty and sweet, tastes more like a barley wine than a hoped up IPA

olhj (3) - - JUL 20, 2017 does not count
Excellent IPA... Maybe the best American IPA that I have proved. I drunk during an Amtrak trip fron Washington to New York, and I got really surprised ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

toposito (6) - Texas, USA - JUL 15, 2017 does not count
This is a good overall beer, but I would not consider it an IPA. It’s not hoppy enough. It tastes sweet (caramel), malty, balanced.

Bricktop86 (847) - Moore, Oklahoma, USA - JUL 14, 2017
Pours orange with a white head. Aroma is caramel, citrus and floral. Taste is heavy sweet and medium bitter.

Poobah (442) - New Orleans, Louisiana, USA - JUL 12, 2017
Amber with a thin head and a caramel, whisky nose. Malty and well-balanced. Has a caramel, hoppy finish with some alcohol warming.

cmacklin (1173) - Lethbridge, Alberta, CANADA - JUL 9, 2017
On tap. Pours a slightly hazy orange-gold with a medium, creamy, long lasting, off-white head that leaves curtains of lace. Sweet fruity aroma of caramel malt, grapefruit, orange, peach and pine. Sweet fruity flavour of caramel malt, grapefruit, orange, peach, apricot, tropical fruit and pine needles with a dry, bitter, hop resin finish. Medium body with an oily texture and average carbonation. Excellent.

Hopper8 (178) - Holland, Michigan, USA - JUL 8, 2017
Man this is an incredibly good beer. You can smell its balance right away and then when drinking you get the best of the Hops coupled with the smoothness of the malts. Really really good. Didn’t think it was the prettiest beer, kinda bland amber color, but the flavors were all there and the aroma is kickin.

ozzy70 (1148) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JUL 3, 2017
12 oz. bottle. Purchased in Grand Junction, consumed while camping in Colorado Springs. Poured dark amber, thick off white head. Aroma was sweet malty, flowery, raisin, pine. Taste was mild bitter, malty, piney spice, spruce.

IncomT73 (6) - - JUL 1, 2017 does not count
Heavy booze flavor. Hops ok. Not to my taste. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

maupie (1098) - Roosendaal, NETHERLANDS - JUL 1, 2017
Vat. Helder oranje kleur, fijne romige witte schuimkraag. De geur van tropisch fruit en alcoholisch. Smaak is zoet, droog mout, kruidig en alcoholisch. Medium Lichaam, weinig koolzuur.