overall
Formerly brewed at Dogfish Head Brewery
Style: Fruit Beer
Milton, Delaware USA
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1966   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
A strong IPA brewed with real apricots and finished with whole leaf Willamette and Cascade hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
fatty (363) - Perkiomenville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 12, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 27, 2005 Reddish colored body with a good lacing head. Had a nice summery apricot flavor with a lasting hoppy aftertaste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jzzbassman (1588) - Arlington, Texas, USA - MAY 12, 2005
The apricot aroma is really big in this one, along with floral hops. The flavor is good, but the hops seemed more subdued, making this a little sweet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Beaver (1763) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAY 12, 2005
12 oz bottle. Pours a clear copper with a creamy white head that goes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is bready malts, apricots, and some peppery hops.

The flavor is sweet and sugary apricots (almost pixie stick like) initially and a little pepper and caramel malt leading to a decent bitter hoppiness. I really like the balance between the fruits and the hops. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth.

Overall, an intriguing IPA. I like it, but its probably a bit too expensive for me to get too often ($8 a 4 pack).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
presario (4916) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - MAY 10, 2005
12oz bottle. Strong hop aroma rises out of the bottle. Strong apricot aroma in the glass. Very long lasting head on a brown-orange brew. Nice fruit start followed by a bitter dry apricot finish which mellows with each drink. Actually pretty good but I will still go for a traditional IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
cvillebeer (134) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - MAY 7, 2005
I had this a few times last year when it was released and decided to try it again because I noticed a new batch had been released and I felt that the hop/apricot complex interplay faded quickly and I wanted to make sure it was fresh. I think this is a beer to drink young, not aged. The apricot aroma was not as stong nor the hops as assertive as I remember, but nevertheless I enjoyed it. Dogfish beers tend towards the dry side with the lower alcohol beers and this is no exception (lower compared to 20% !!). I highly recommend- the apricots and hops blend beautifully, but get it fresh.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
UnsofistaCat (241) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - MAY 6, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 7, 2005 Foamy head that disappears a little too quick. Very smooth IPA, with just the right touch of apricot. I feel a couple of reviewers have hit this one dead on below me. This beer is not your classic fruit beer. Instead its a hopped up IPA that uses fruit to enhance the hop flavor. Great job. Its also very well balanced with some nice malt sweetness to it. Enjoyed it a lot. Upon further review, this beer is a little too hoppy for me as of late. Not that it isnt a great quality IPA, its just that Im getting a little sick of the the extreme hopped up American ales. I guess its on me and not them.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TomDecapolis (4618) - Milton, Delaware, USA - MAY 4, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 8, 2005 Well I first had Magic Hats #9 I was impressed. Really liked the Apricot overtones it had. Well that was before I had Dogfish Heads ApriHop. This will definetly end up being one of my go to brews for the summer. The apricot enhances the hops just righ. Wouldnt put this in with the other "fruit beers. But more like a solid IPA with a twist.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JFURYCAT (1078) - East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 3, 2005
Upside: this beer has a very pleasant taste and mouthfeel to it. The apricot element is definately evident but it enhances the two hops present. Its almost a perfect blend! I could probably drink this pale ale with just the hops but the apricot spices up both the initial sip and aftertaste. I detect some malt in here as well. And its foamy like other fruit beers Ive sampled. The foam dissipates rather quickly with a small layer of form remaining. Downside: The apricots arent that sweet but that is to be expected with an IPA. This seems more geared towards IPA lovers than it is toward fruit beer aficionados. The finish is also a bit dry so as much as I like it, Im not out for mass quanities.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
frankenkitty (2008) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - MAY 2, 2005
Enormous, sudsy head took me by surprise... left alot of lace before I even got the chance to sip. Reddish-coppery body. Aroma was all about the apricot, with some caramel malt and a little alcohol. Fruity hopped flavor with a sour middle and a sweet, syrupy finish. Better on a cool & cloudy spring day than a warm & sunny one, as it had a nice warming quality. Really good. (Still has a 3/4-inch head just sitting there... on the bottom of the glass!)

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Liquors, Oak Forest, IL<font size=-1>

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
eboats (1082) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - APR 30, 2005
Poured dark cloudy orange with an off white head. Tiny floaties were noticable. The aroma was dry, apricot, grass, floral notes. The apricot dominates the aroma however. Claims to be an IPA, but not much in terms of hops that you expect with an IPA. Apricot and unpealed pears dominate the flavor. The fruit flavors linger in a slightly dry finish.