overall
Formerly brewed at Dogfish Head Brewery
Style: Fruit Beer
Milton, Delaware USA
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 1892   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
A strong IPA brewed with real apricots and finished with whole leaf Willamette and Cascade hops.

branlovesbeer's rating

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 4/20
branlovesbeer (14) - South Carolina, USA - MAY 22, 2012
The Pour: Not alot of head. Dissipated almost immediately. It just, sort of, beaded up in the middle. The Look: Light ruby color. The head is white. Go figure, red beer and white head. There was minimal carbonation. Just a small stream coming from the bottom. Although, as the beer warms up, the carbonation does become more pronounced. Aroma: It wasn’t really what I was expecting. I don’t smell any apricot. The aroma was very similar to the 60 minute IPA. Light malt, light hop, just light everything. The crystal malts were probably the most prominent aroma. Taste: I was pleasantly surprised because there was no apricot/peachy flavors to speak of. Only an astringent peachy aftertaste. The Hops and Malt are definitely the prominent taste in this beer. The apricot definitely doesn’t do anything for this beer. It’s almost as if it was an unwanted accident. And DFH said, let’s just go ahead and bottle this beer anyway. Verdict: It’s very astringent, it’s not very hoppy. I can drink it without cringing (I guess). This is just... It’s not that good. Definitely not as good as what they are charging for it. I would give this a ’C’. I’m never gonna buy this again. I’m never gonna look for this. I’m gonna get through this glass but... It’s nothing special. I’m definitely not going to waste my money buying another one of these. I don’t really care for the astringent aftertaste that the apricots provide. The plus is that it’s NOT a fruit beer, as the name would suggest. But on the down side, It’s certainly NOT an IPA either. I’ve had weak American Ales with more hop presence than this. The hops are VERY subdued. The DFH websites describes it as being... "continuously hopped with irresponsible amounts of amarillo hops." Irresponsible? I don’t think so. Maybe in the brewery, but it doesn’t come through in the smell or taste. Worth the Money: So based on all of that, is it worth the money? $2.99 per single bottle == .25 cents per oz $10.99 per 4 pack. == .23 cents per oz $9.99 per 1/2gal growler. == .16 cents per oz. I don’t believe in 4 packs. Especially not for a beer with such low quality (compared to the style it is classified under). If this were about $9 for a 6 pack, I can see myself paying that for this particular beer. But it’s not worth more than that. And I am stretching here to find some positive aspects. Most people like this beer. I don’t know why. But you make your own decision. Maybe this beer’s for you and maybe it isn’t.

Bill Becker (2010) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - NOV 1, 2017
From Dec 2007 I got this bottle also as an extra in a trade with JDV. Thanks again, Deniz! This pours from 12oz bottle a cloudy rusty brown with a small but stubborn head of foam. The smell is of apricots, caramel malt, and a touch of hops in the background. Smells nice. The taste is well, tasty. Apricots are the first thing I noticed followed by some caramel malt and a nice big heaping helping of hops. Wow. I didn't think the different flavours would work all that well together but hey, they do! The mouthfeel is medium, the carbonation is fairly low, and it finishes with a good mix of bitter hops and apricot tartness. Very nice indeed! Thanks again, Deniz, for throwing this one in. DFH has again defied the odds. ;^)

TimE (6275) - Tokyo, JAPAN - AUG 19, 2017
Medium amber color. Apricots, apples and caramel. Modestly bitter palate, but a bit more restrained in the finish.

BrettTaylor (784) - Radford, Virginia, USA - APR 15, 2017
Found in cellar from last year (2016) and drank it today while working in garage. Pours a clear gold with a very very creamy long lasting head. Subtle apricot under more traditional pale ale aromas. Taste is more pale ale than apricot and it has a very long lasting finish of a melange of apricot, hop, and malt - almost lasts like it’s sticky going down, but it’s not. Very nice on this warm, but not hot, day.

PhillyCraft (8202) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 21, 2016
Vtg Blackberry backlog, Many bottles over the years, This review was from Spring 2010. Pours amber golden with one finger head. Smell and flavor are old hops, caramel, pine, and candy apricot. Too sweet.

delnoche (516) - Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA - MAY 27, 2016
12fl oz bottle poured into a Dogfish Head IPA glass. Very effervescent, dark amber with a couple fingers of lingering off-white head. Aroma and flavor are both heavy on hops and apricot. Lasting bitter finish. Delicious.

My 500th rate! :D

oldrtybastrd (5228) - Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA - APR 8, 2016
Pours a light amber color. Aromas of hop, apricot with hints of grass and malts. Flavor has a nice piney juniper bite to it, with a mellow apricot flavor with a nice dry finish.

BeerdedDave (2010) - Beckley, USA - MAR 31, 2016
just a slight hint of apricot, the apricot really gets overwhelmed by the hops (a good thing) much tastier that I expected; not your average fruit beer

Bygers (1185) - Oslo, NORWAY - FEB 3, 2016
Bottle 0,33l. Pours an amber colour with a white head. Aroma is fruity malt, apricot, and pine. Taste is sweet caramel malt with some fruit notes and slight apricot flavors. Finishes with earthy, pine hops. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Sirmixsomewhat (266) - Paoli, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 14, 2015
I was stoked for this beer. What a cool concept, apricots and Dogfish Head, right? Eh. I didn’t enjoy it like I thought I would. It wasn’t a bad beer, but it didn’t keep me drinking. It was a little bitter and not really smooth, and tasted more reminiscent of grapefruit than any other fruit flavor I can associate with a beer. Just okay.

Ahuth (665) - Illinois, USA - DEC 11, 2015
Bottled. Has a darker brown. Has a hoppy taste. Has a light body with a medium taste of apricots. Pretty good IPA!!