overall

RATINGS: 1771   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Chicory Stout is a rich, dark beer made with a touch of roasted chicory, organic Mexican coffee, St. John's Wort, and licorice root. It is brewed with roast barley, crystal malt and oats and hopped just right with Glacier hops. We use fair trade Organic Mexican Coatepec beans roasted to our specifications by Notting Hill Coffee Roastery in Lewes, DE.

DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 23, 2003
Light brown head, smooth and creamy but a little too much carbonation for my taste. Slightly toasted coffee and chocolate flavors, nice chocolate aftertaste. Looking at the list of ingredients, more like an all-in-one vitamin supplement. All in all a flavorful stout.

BeerRunner (144) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 22, 2003
I like this stout. Mouthfeel isn't quite as thick as I like in a stout and the head is kinda wimpy, but it tastes good. The chicory flavoring is nice and I like the carbonation feeling on my tongue. It's got some chocolate flavor to it as well.

humulus (339) - Salem, Missouri, USA - MAR 14, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2003 Being a southern gentleman and a botanist, I am no stranger to Chicory (Cichorium intybus). Interestingly, it has been used as a coffee substitute since the Civil War, when northern troops cut off coffee and tea supplies to the south. I can taste a hint of chicory in this brew, as well as a subtle coffee flavor, but little else. Overall, I find it a bit thin in color and taste. It certainly lacks the robust and well developed flavor I expect from a stout. Not bad, but not great.

GermanBrews76 (680) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAR 9, 2003
I had some chicory coffee from n'awlins once, it reminds me faintly of it. DArk mahogany body, foamy rolling light brown head. Chocolate, dark and milk with hints of coffee. Malty and rich Liz says: "smells like a mocha." MMM... tasty. Lively and filling in the mouth, notes of coffee, very creamy. Abit too lively almost fizzy, but a solidly constructed stout. A chocolatey toffee finish, slightly burnt.

Dickinsonbeer (5074) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - MAR 5, 2003
Very black with a small beige head- had on tap- which made it very smooth. Sweet and malty with some spice kick to it with low hop profile. Very nice and easy to drink. Loaded with flavor!!

Silphium (3199) - Traverse City, Michigan, USA - MAR 4, 2003
This smooth, silky beverage pours with a tan head (not bone white...unless the bones are weathered...nevermind) and minimal lacing. Aroma is of coffee. Chicory Stout is probably more notable for its silky smooth feel than its above average but unspectacular roasted, sweet flavor. I've enjoyed this brewery's beers...bury my heart at Dogfish Head.

raymow (1675) - Bensalem, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 2, 2003
You might think I'm crazy but the aroma and flavor remind me of bacon. Smokey taste and nice dark color. I liked this beer. It kind of grows on you.

Panzuriel (2306) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - MAR 2, 2003
Very very coffeeish stout. Very thick, dark, malty and creamy. A bit too strong for my liking. Verymuch like a sweet dark coffee beer if that makes any sense.

dolphz (4) - Elmhurst, Illinois, USA - FEB 28, 2003 does not count
A smooth and delicate stout. Impressive aroma but subtle palate. Very enjoyable.

crazyvin (2026) - New York, USA - FEB 27, 2003
There was really nothing special about this stout. sweet, dry and bitter. can't say i tasted chicory in it either, never had chicory before.