overall

RATINGS: 1774   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Chicory Stout is a rich, dark beer made with a touch of roasted chicory, organic Mexican coffee, St. John's Wort, and licorice root. It is brewed with roast barley, crystal malt and oats and hopped just right with Glacier hops. We use fair trade Organic Mexican Coatepec beans roasted to our specifications by Notting Hill Coffee Roastery in Lewes, DE.

dankfor20 (196) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JUN 27, 2002
definately a good stout. nice full body with a little head retention. and since i love coffee this stuff hit really well on my taste buds recomended for stout and coffee lovers.

Rib Eye (148) - USA - JUN 17, 2002
A good stout, if not as good as I might have expected. Nice head, though little carbonation. Slightly bitter, slighty oily mouthfeel, fairly smooth and not strongly flavored.

dolemike1 (1289) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 7, 2002
Lovely beer. Great coffee flavor, not as bitter as i thought it would be. Definitely one i will drink again.

IFearNoBeer (15) - Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA - JUN 5, 2002
I tried this beer expecting it to be unexciting because of all the below reviews, but I turned out loving the stuff. Great coffee taste that was nicely pronounced and not overpowering. Great stout, really enjoyed it.

Hugerat (452) - somerville, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 31, 2002
Not bad, strong smoked chicory flavor, reminiscent of a rauchbier. Coffe flavors are less pronounced, but this is certainly a unique stout.

ravidesai (979) - Bombay, INDIA - MAY 25, 2002
black with a thin beige head. very dry and hoppy for a stout. lot of coffee taste but not sure if the chicory adds anything distinctive. loses points for a rather oily texture.

Volgon (2761) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 7, 2002
Even though this is a coffee stout, it tastes a bit thin and has a watery palate. The coffee taste is muted, instead of being full as a coffee stout should be. Oh well, you can't have a winner every time.

ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - APR 26, 2002
Good, but too bitter and nothing all that special going on, a quality stout but nothing that even suggests greatness

muzzlehatch (4969) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - APR 25, 2002
Bottled. Very thin, quick-dying head; totally black, opaque body. Aroma on the lightish side, sweet and malty, just a hint of coffee. Flavor nice, but I wonder if all of the weird flavorings are cancelling each other out to some extent; its good, but hard to point out a lot of specific character traits. A bit of coffee, a bit of sweetness, perhaps too much carbonation, and a body just a bit on the thin side. Sounds better than it was, but still an interesting attempt from one of the country's most inventive brewers.

Schroppfy (2362) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - APR 21, 2002
Thin-palated like a dry-stout, IMO. Had very high hopes here...many folks say the Shelter Pale Ale from these guys is the lesser ware, but I'd put it here. I like the bark, but I'm not getting enough hop aroma or flavor, and I think the baseline roasted malt is muddled by the other ingredients. But, still, even so, I have to say, if my misfires were of this quality, I'd quit my day job and become a brewer.