overall

RATINGS: 612   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
2011 marks the 100th birthday of Mississippi Delta bluesman Robert Johnson who, according to legend, sold his soul down at the crossroads in a midnight bargain and changed music forever. Working again with our friends at Sony Legacy (yup, the same folks we did our Miles Davis-inspired Bitches Brew with), Dogfish Head pays tribute to this blues legend by gettin the hellhounds off his trail and into this finely-crafted ale. Hellhound is a super-hoppy ale that hits 100 IBUs in the brewhouse, 10.0 ABV, 10.0 SRM in color, and dry-hopped with 100% centennial hops at a rate of 100 kilos per 100 barrel brew-length. Can you tell we at Dogfish are stoked for this mighty musical centennial? To accentuate and magnify the citrusy notes of the centennial hops (and as a shout out to Robert Johnsons mentor Blind Lemon Jefferson) we add dried lemon peel and flesh to the whirlpool.

blutt59 (6565) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUN 1, 2011
bottled, thanks to mora2000, golden color with no head, nice pine, citrus aroma with sweet pineapple, hoppy lemon head, some heat on the finish

cfrancis (3474) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 31, 2011
Pours a gorgeous foggy golden yellow with a thin white head and great lacing. Aroma is great pine hops with a lemon tartness that blends so well with the hops it just tickles the nose. Taste is a blast of pine hop bitterness with the tartness of lemon. I can feel the booze hit but I don’t mind it. I embrace it. I’d definitely have it again.

bth122 (1571) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 30, 2011
Aoma of fresh citrus floral hops, Taste was a generous medium bitter. Hmm,is alot like 90min (like the Squall), but with a touch of lemon. Nice bitter finish. Can’t complain.

zebracakes (1339) - Washington DC, USA - MAY 30, 2011
Bomber. Pours opaque apricot, thin white head. Aroma is potato chips and faint hops. I can’t believe how light the scent is--thought there would be more of a hops bite. Flavor is hoppy bitter, crisp, with a lighter body than I expected. Finish is rather alcoholic, and not as well blended as I would prefer. If there’s one thing I dislike from a beer it’s feeling a definite alcohol heat. I reserve that for liquor. I usually enjoy imp IPAs, but this particular beer (or bottle-maybe it’s off) is not my bag.

dnstone (3430) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - MAY 30, 2011
hoppy aroma, golden-orange in color with a bit of a white head. not quite an IPA, but a nice hoppy ale, moderately sweet, but with a bitter lemon peel finish.

IPAsavedMYlife (346) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - MAY 30, 2011
Nice fresh hoppy aroma. Good amount of head. Tastes pretty much like any double IPA with nuances of lemon zest. The lemons seemed faint to me but they were there, nonetheless. Slightly sweet and alcohol is well hidden for 10%. Finishes fairly bitter.

DialSquare (5063) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 30, 2011
UPDATED: JUN 26, 2013 6/26/13: This is nice. Bumped it a couple points. --- 5/30/11: Big bottle from Proof. Only a few notes: centennial, light lemon, lighter version of 90 min, covers 10% abv well, 7.8/10 -- Need to try again.

mar (5423) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAY 29, 2011
Bottle thanks to someone. Nose is super hoppy, lemons, fruity, zest, and smooth. Smooth on the palate, lemons, hops, delicious.

drfabulous (8086) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - MAY 29, 2011
750 from Good Food Coop in Lexington. First taste is a big alcohol kick. Then sugar sweetness. Bitterness and citrus. Alcohol present. Well done.

Hammy78 (974) - Dundas, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 29, 2011
Bottle sampled at my brother’s house. Pours a glowing copper colour. Nice half a finger white head and spots of lacing left behind as I drink this beauty. Aroma is sweet and a little hoppy. Tastes sweet and of citrus. Quite nice.